INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting old, it's the new norm

+7
ferret
viajero
Zedinmexico
gringal
johninajijic
hockables
Chapalagringa
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Getting old, it's the new norm - Page 2 Empty Re: Getting old, it's the new norm

Post by Parker Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:15 pm

She is certainly one beautiful dog.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Getting old, it's the new norm - Page 2 Empty Re: Getting old, it's the new norm

Post by ferret Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:39 pm

Chapalagringa wrote:I have two questions regarding your Belgian Malinois, of course :)

1. Did you have to tape her ears up? How did that go?

2. The owner of Wolfs didn't recommend I get a Belgian. Said it'd be too much for me to handle & it'd mess up our yard. What's your take on that? I love them! Love the short hair and they're mighty fast! Best military dog too!

Her ears were not cut and they were never taped.
Zorra was raised with a garden and has never touched the plants or dug holes. She is verrrry smart and only needs to be told something a few times before she gets it but you also have to be good doggy parents and being always around and retired certainly doesn't hurt. They need to be exercised...for us that means throwing toys since neither one of us walks well. We throw toys until she crys "uncle"...about 1/2 hour twice a day.
Short hair, yes...but it needs to be brushed...especially right now when she's losing her down undercoat. She always smells sweet like sunshine and grass because she is not a water dog and, therefore, lacks the oil glands that Labs, Labradoodles and even German Shepherds have. She did just have a run in with "a black and white long haired kitty" in the yard which left her smelling not so sweet.
She is a joy to be with and gives us a lot of pleasure with her antics and backchat. I don't know if they're all like her or we just got lucky. We'll just be forever grateful to have had her in our lives.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:09 pm

gringal wrote:
viajero wrote:They might find themselves out gunned,just a thought.

No doubt that's true.
Along with the notion that a carefully aimed gun will "disarm" the best trained watch dog, too.

I used to have a dog that was trained to go for the arm with the weapon - but I think going for the twins if far more effective:-)
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:11 pm

kipissippi wrote:Love the second shot. Caption could be "Hi! You want your leg chomped?"

Gorgeous dog..Malinois or GS?

Kip how are you? I guess you got over the pneumonia. Doing OK?
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:38 pm

Sorry! Went to the lung doctor and she said my lungs are perfect..she has no idea why I got pneumonia (and a wierd kind at that) twice in five months. Oh well, cross my fingers that it doesn't happen again.

Yesterday I gave a huge sigh of relief. The ugly dark irregularly shaped mole on my back was pronounced benign. Until this happened I'd never really heard the particulars about melanoma. In the five days it took to get in to have it checked...I surfed the net and damned near scared myself to death! The good thing that came of it is...I will have anything that looks suspicious checked IMMEDIATELY! I had no clue melanoma was so deadly. A for real wake up call for all of us born thirty years before they discovered sunblock.
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:50 pm

Melanoma doesn't mess around. Kills well and quickly. I've known a few of the victims.
Trouble with sunblock is that it's only good for about 20 minutes.
Maybe granny was right about wearing a sunbonnet. lol.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:51 pm

kipissippi wrote:Sorry! Went to the lung doctor and she said my lungs are perfect..she has no idea why I got pneumonia (and a wierd kind at that) twice in five months. Oh well, cross my fingers that it doesn't happen again.

Yesterday I gave a huge sigh of relief. The ugly dark irregularly shaped mole on my back was pronounced benign. Until this happened I'd never really heard the particulars about melanoma. In the five days it took to get in to have it checked...I surfed the net and damned near scared myself to death! The good thing that came of it is...I will have anything that looks suspicious checked IMMEDIATELY! I had no clue melanoma was so deadly. A for real wake up call for all of us born thirty years before they discovered sunblock.

BEWARE THE MOUSE

Deer Mouse urine and droppings can carry the hanta virus which is potentially very dangerous. It is an important distinction that Hantavirus can not be found in the droppings of regular house mice. Deer mice can be identified by their larger ears, and their droppings are rough and peppercorn shaped, where a house mouse dropping is smooth and resembles a grain of rice. Deer mice are rare in an urban setting, primarily residing in the country.
Hantavirus has an incubation time of 2-4 weeks in humans, before symptoms of infection occur. These symptoms can be split into five phases:

•Febrile phase: Symptoms include fever, chills, malaise, headaches, nausea, abdominal and back pain, respiratory problems such as the ones common in the influenza virus, as well as gastro-intestinal problems. These symptoms normally occur for 3-7days.

•Hypotensive phase: This occurs when the blood platelet levels drop and symptoms can lead to tachycardia and hypoxemia. This phase can last for 2 days.

•Oliguric phase: This phase lasts for 3-7 days and is characterised by the onset of renal failure and proteinuria occurs.

•Diuretic phase: This is characterized by diuresis of 3-6L per day, which can last for a couple of days up to weeks.

•Convalescent phase: This is normally when recovery occurs and symptoms begin to improve.

Hantavirus (Cardio-)Pulmonary Syndrome (HPS or HCPS)
Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome (HPS) is a deadly disease transmitted by infected rodents through urine, droppings, or saliva. Humans can contract the disease when they breathe in aerosolized virus. HPS was first recognized in 1993 and has since been identified throughout the United States. Although rare, HPS is potentially deadly. Rodent control in and around the home remains the primary strategy for preventing hantavirus infection.
eat yer heart out Dr Mike...
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:51 pm

We have lots of skin cancer in our family and I always have anything suspicious looked at - usually removed. Even the not so bad ones can be bad. Had a basal cell carnoma inside my nose. Had to do two surgeries because this one was agressive, throws shoots and if they didn't get it all could destroy my nose. Girlfriend up the street had the same thing only waited until they had to remove a huge chunk of her nose.

Kip I wonder if the hay and goop you shovel around had some bad stuff you breathed in?
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:08 pm

I'm sure it works longer than that for me. If I don't have it on before I go out with the horses... I'm toast. But if I put it on i the morning...I go all day without a problem... my redhead's skin makes me the perfect crispy critter without sunblock.

I also wear a big hat if I'm working in the yard....much cooler.
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:13 pm

simpsca wrote:We have lots of skin cancer in our family and I always have anything suspicious looked at - usually removed. Even the not so bad ones can be bad. Had a basal cell carnoma inside my nose. Had to do two surgeries because this one was agressive, throws shoots and if they didn't get it all could destroy my nose. Girlfriend up the street had the same thing only waited until they had to remove a huge chunk of her nose.

Kip I wonder if the hay and goop you shovel around had some bad stuff you breathed in?

That's one of the things I thought might be the problem but the Lung Doc said no. Glad to hear that. No "goop" in our barn...just good old fashioned "horse puckey"! Very Happy

Inside your nose? How on earth does something like that get started? ....Unless you were using one of those reflector thingies for an even tan.....
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:20 pm

hockables wrote:
kipissippi wrote:Sorry! Went to the lung doctor and she said my lungs are perfect..she has no idea why I got pneumonia (and a wierd kind at that) twice in five months. Oh well, cross my fingers that it doesn't happen again.

BEWARE THE MOUSE

Deer Mouse urine and droppings can carry the hanta virus which is potentially very dangerous. It is an important distinction that Hantavirus can not be found in the droppings of regular house mice. Deer mice can be identified by their larger ears, and their droppings are rough and peppercorn shaped, where a house mouse dropping is smooth and resembles a grain of rice. Deer mice are rare in an urban setting, primarily residing in the country.
Hantavirus has an incubation time of 2-4 weeks in humans, before symptoms of infection occur. These symptoms can be split into five phases:

•Febrile phase: Symptoms include fever, chills, malaise, headaches, nausea, abdominal and back pain, respiratory problems such as the ones common in the influenza virus, as well as gastro-intestinal problems. These symptoms normally occur for 3-7days.

•Hypotensive phase: This occurs when the blood platelet levels drop and symptoms can lead to tachycardia and hypoxemia. This phase can last for 2 days.

•Oliguric phase: This phase lasts for 3-7 days and is characterised by the onset of renal failure and proteinuria occurs.

•Diuretic phase: This is characterized by diuresis of 3-6L per day, which can last for a couple of days up to weeks.

•Convalescent phase: This is normally when recovery occurs and symptoms begin to improve.

Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome (HPS) is a deadly disease transmitted by infected rodents through urine, droppings, or saliva. Humans can contract the disease when they breathe in aerosolized virus. HPS was first recognized in 1993 and has since been identified throughout the United States. Although rare, HPS is potentially deadly. Rodent control in and around the home remains the primary strategy for preventing hantavirus infection.

ya think we're off topic here? hahaha
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all natural

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:44 pm

Chapalagringa wrote:
hockables wrote:

BEWARE THE MOUSE

ya think we're off topic here? hahaha

nope... Its still bout gett'n old.... isn't everything?...

I didn't copy all of it....

airborne virus from deer mouse feces... common in barns.... can cause severe respiratory problems...

Kippers has a barn ... just a thought
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:42 am

Nope not the problem although I did know a gal in Washington state who was cleaning out the loft in a barn. Soon after she got sick... they didn't think much of it...but she got sicker. They finally got her to the hospital but she died. Hanta virus is one nasty bug.
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:51 am

ferret wrote:Our girl...
Getting old, it's the new norm - Page 2 Zorra_10

I am jelous ferret that is a beautiful dog. Always wanted a tall eared Belguim Malinois but we always had St Bernards in the cold and Newfoundlands in the warm.
I have to admit nobody ever said boo to me when I was moving around with a 140LB newf but they would probably hold a flashlight for a burgler but
luckily people don't know that. Best dog I ever saw was a Belguim Beauceron (shepard/guard) I took care of for a couple of months. Only Dog I ever said
sir to :-) and I meant it. Proud like an Akita. Lucky you ferret!!

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:00 am

Do we have Hanta here?? I know it is all over the deserts of the
western US and probably Sonora.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:38 am

kipissippi wrote:
simpsca wrote:We have lots of skin cancer in our family and I always have anything suspicious looked at - usually removed. Even the not so bad ones can be bad. Had a basal cell carnoma inside my nose. Had to do two surgeries because this one was agressive, throws shoots and if they didn't get it all could destroy my nose. Girlfriend up the street had the same thing only waited until they had to remove a huge chunk of her nose.

That's one of the things I thought might be the problem but the Lung Doc said no. Glad to hear that. No "goop" in our barn...just good old fashioned "horse puckey"! Very Happy

Inside your nose? How on earth does something like that get started? ....Unless you were using one of those reflector thingies for an even tan.....

It was just inside at the bottom if my nose and when I was young and foolish, I turned on my sides to get an even tan. I've had other less aggressive cancers removed from around my nose also. Foolish me - these were the days before there was even sun screen and like you I'm blond with skin that burns easily. Now that nose and the rest of me is slathered with sun block and I always walk the shadowed side of the street. Hat doesn't do it for me - I've had them removed from the back of my legs also. So if you walk the streets of Ajijic with me you have to skulk in the shadows:-)
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:39 am

maybe part of this thread could be split into the health section... :) I definitely see the relationship between getting old though, it's criminal.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:49 am

In the words of Katherine Hepburn:
"After age 50, it's patch, patch, patch".

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:19 am

Ain't that the truth! Very Happy
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:37 am

We have at least three topics going here - old age, skin cancer and attack dog training. What a mix!
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:29 am

Dogs can get skin cancer...wonder if they'd use sun screen?

After reading hocks post about deer mice poo...i googled the difference between squirrel? Found some peppercorn in my oregano a while back. Not sure what it was from.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:30 am

Sun screen is only good for about 20 minutes. Besides, they're wearing fur coats. I'd just have the vet check them for it periodically.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:46 am

It really does work longer for me...MUCH longer. I haven't had a bad burn in years (except for once)..and I'm out a LOT ..everyday. One day my shoer got here early and I skipped the sunblock. We were in the pasture for about two hours....I was miserable by evening..blisters. My shirt was short in back..I even had a burned band right above my shorts. Wasn't wearing a hat either. Dumb. I SHOULD have had him wait while I went back to the house and put on both...but I didn't want to inconvenience him and we had 17 horses to do. Never forgot again. Too painful....and now too scary!
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:45 pm

This morning, as I drove into town, I was thinking how the news rattles me the way it would in the states now....it doesn't rattle me. I used to read or hear of a break in, a robbery at 7-11, a neglect case in the states & think, "how dumb or how can people live like that?" So some dumb guy dressed up like a cop last night, crashed his car near Walmart & got caught. See what I mean?

Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:02 pm

In a lovely little beachside town in So.CAl, the helicopters and sirens were part of the usual scene nearly every day. They weren't news copters either.
Rapes on the beach, robberies in town........still the real estate prices rose to ridiculous heights. Nobody paid much attention to the chaos. We seem to care around here because we had an unrealistic notion of what we were moving in to.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:28 pm

I dont' know if it's so much that Gringal, I think most of us are mourning the loss of how it once was...and not that long ago. Remember when it didn't matter what street you were on, how dark or how late it was? Families in the plaza at midnight? There's so much more to Lakeside of course. But I do remember when I felt so much safer in Ajijic than anywhere I'd ever been.
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next