INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has anyone had a paid homeowner's insurance claim?

+6
johninajijic
CanuckBob
drmike
raqueteer
David
simpsca
10 posters

Go down

Has anyone had a paid homeowner's insurance claim? Empty Has anyone had a paid homeowner's insurance claim?

Post by simpsca Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:56 am

I have a friend leaving for about a month and wants to know if anyone has homeowner's insurance and had a paid claim - particularly for theft. She used to have insurance with Lloyds' and had quake coverage, but after a quake they told her they would not pay it - don't know details.

So if anyone has had a paid claim please post the name of your insurer and your agent also.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Has anyone had a paid homeowner's insurance claim? Empty Re: Has anyone had a paid homeowner's insurance claim?

Post by David Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:47 am

No me. I filed two claims, neither one was paid. It's almost impossible to collect on theft. So much so that I dropped the coverage.

FYI. First you must proved forced entry. Then you must have reciepts and photos of the missing loot. Then there's deductibles, etc. There's a new hurdle on the other side of the one you just cleared.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Has anyone had a paid homeowner's insurance claim? Empty Re: Has anyone had a paid homeowner's insurance claim?

Post by raqueteer Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:49 am

Not only have I never had a homeowners insurance claim paid, we bought travel insurance, were told my husband's hospital bill would be paid in full, then $4,500 later, plus expenses, some woman in Argentina said, oh no, infections aren't covered. Of course this was not mentioned on the policy, furthermore, upon requesting a quote from the same company and asking for a copy of exclusions, it was also not mentioned on the new quote or on their exclusions.

Recourse, none. Went to Condusef, the insurance regulator about 6 times, was told the insurance company was completely in the wrong, then we were told to hire our own lawyer. I don't know about you, but we figured a court case in which we might be forced to pay damages might not be in our very best interests if you get my drift.

P.M. for names if interested.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by drmike Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:31 am

So it's a waste of time and money to get renters insurance? I was planning on doing so when we moved down there, but not if they don't pay for thefts.

Dr. Mike
drmike
drmike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : yes

http://smarthealthchoices.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:51 am

I've heard collecting on homeowners or renters insurance is very difficult here and I'm asking to try and save my friend money on insurance if they don't pay claims.

I remember 10 years ago I had some Canadian friends who left for 6 months every year - were robbed and returned to file the claim. I believe they got partial payment but no where near enough to buy anything. I haven't seen them in ages so can't ask about the insurer but somehow remember it might be Lloyds - so don't want to say anything negative other than homeowners claims seem to be difficult to get paid here.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:29 pm

I guess it will depend on your deductable and how many items you have receipts for. I would imagine most people dragging their belongings down from NOB don't have receipts for much.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:27 pm

Not only don't most people have receipts, they don't have photos. At one time I went through my house and photoed everything I could. Been a long time and things have changed. My agent advised me to do that - don't know if it would help.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:40 pm

simpsca wrote:I've heard collecting on homeowners or renters insurance is very difficult here and I'm asking to try and save my friend money on insurance if they don't pay claims.

I remember 10 years ago I had some Canadian friends who left for 6 months every year - were robbed and returned to file the claim. I believe they got partial payment but no where near enough to buy anything. I haven't seen them in ages so can't ask about the insurer but somehow remember it might be Lloyds - so don't want to say anything negative other than homeowners claims seem to be difficult to get paid here.

I know of one person who collected very well for a theft. And it was a fake theft that none of us believed. He also put in for items that we never saw that he had. I don't think you need photos or manuals. I think all you need is manuals, like a camera or laptop manual. Everything, especially electronics is depreciated even after 1 year old. It is still a very good idea to photograph everything as my Agent told me to do. simpsca has the same Agent as I do.

I have Homeowner's Insurance mostly for earthquake damage, fire and water damage. And glass breakage. I don't care too much about the theft coverage.

Another thing here, is you cannot get Replacement Cost coverage for theft like in the States where no depreciation is involved. I was robbed in the States. They got 2 peoples camera equpment, VHS player, etc. The stuff was worth about $ 2 - $ 3 K. We collected for replacement $ 6,000.

I definitely would NOT buy renter's insurance.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:42 pm

If the stuff was worth 2 to 3 K why did you collect $6000?

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by drmike Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:42 pm

Thanks, John, for advising against renters insurance. I did not know.
drmike
drmike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : yes

http://smarthealthchoices.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:45 pm

viajero wrote:If the stuff was worth 2 to 3 K why did you collect $6000?

I think you're pulling my leg. Do the math, isn't $ 6 K more than $ 2 - 3 K?

Because it's REPLACEMENT cost at time of claim.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:01 pm

John have I ever pulled your leg?I think it's great that you got over on the insurance company,they get over on us all the time.
Chris

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:03 pm

You can skip fire insurance also. Not much to burn here. Electrical fires
smolder in the walls rather than catch the house on fire. I think I know
one wood house down here. The reason the artist whose house burned
in Ajijic last week was all of his artists materials burned not the house.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:04 pm

Things must be different Lakeside. We had a brand new (one year old unused) generator stolen from our pump room in Nayarit. Lloyds paid the claim in a very timely fashion. We reported the theft and had a copy of the police report...We also had the original receipt and the manual for it.
The biggest pain in the butt was organizing the purchase of the replacement because (at that time) they didn't sell the Honda EUi 3000 in Mexico.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:32 pm

I have clients who collected after a lightening strike fried many of their appliances. Perhaps it depends on the insurer!?
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down