INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MANIX Restaurant Review

5 posters

Go down

MANIX Restaurant Review Empty MANIX Restaurant Review

Post by johninajijic Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:04 pm

Last night, Thursday, 10 of us from our Bi Monthly Dinner group ate at Manix restaurant. The group had a variety of drinks. After a while they took our orders. Various people ordered either the salad or vichysoisse soup to start. The soup was warm. The salad had a choice of Italian or Blue Cheese dressing.

Various people ordered Filet Mignon, Osso Bucco (only 2 left), Veal Marsala, Chicken Florentine and Fried Shrimp. The Fried Shrimp had a very light batter, totally non greasy and fresh. There was at least 8 good sized shrimp. Everyone liked ther meals.

We highly recommend Manix for consistency and will always return.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

MANIX Restaurant Review Empty Re: MANIX Restaurant Review

Post by raqueteer Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:36 pm

Well, thanks for the review. That will leave us avoiding Manix, as we have for many years. Vichyssoise is served cold, as is gazpacho.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Vichyssoise-102030

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:44 pm

Perhaps John already knew that which is why he mentioned that it was warm.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:17 pm

I know Hector, one of the owners, would welcome input from Patrons....Please give him the opportunity to correct problems Very Happy He is a nice guy, and was previously at Vista del Lago

Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:04 am

raqueteer wrote:Well, thanks for the review. That will leave us avoiding Manix, as we have for many years. Vichyssoise is served cold, as is gazpacho.

So you're going to avoid Manix, THE MOST consistent restaurant in Ajijic because of that. You could have the salad instead. How ridiculous!!! Your loss. They won't miss your business.

You can patronize some of the many other really lousy restaurants of which there are more of than good restaurants.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:35 am

johninajijic wrote:
raqueteer wrote:Well, thanks for the review. That will leave us avoiding Manix, as we have for many years. Vichyssoise is served cold, as is gazpacho.

So you're going to avoid Manix, THE MOST consistent restaurant in Ajijic because of that. You could have the salad instead. How ridiculous!!! Your loss. They won't miss your business.

You can patronize some of the many other really lousy restaurants of which there are more of than good restaurants.

I agree, there are a lot of lousy restaurants.
Here's my viewpoint FWIW. If I want a good steak, there are no end of places, and some actually have some ambience, where I can get one. Bruno and Vicki both are very consistent in their quality.
Shrimp, no beating Rikki's, tempura.
Veal Marsala, O.K. was that any good?
Chicken florentine, how about that, was it worth writing home about?
On to the vichyssoise, in my opinion, YMMV, this should be served cold. The effect of that heavy dose of cream is lost if it's warm. If you had said, they have a wonderful vichysoisse, complete with a nice lashing of extra cream and a sprinkling of chives, then I might have persuaded myself to overlook the decor, which IMO is pretty dismal.

BTW I am more than jaded about restaurants here, so my list has only gotten smaller over the years. It has to be really good, have a nice atmosphere, have some unique items on the menu, and provide good service before I'll even go out my door.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:24 pm

I have to agree about the decor in most restaurants here or lack there of, like Ricki's plastic tables and chairs, but who cares his Shrimp Tempura is the best I've had ANYWHERE. Manix took a real close second with the Fried Shrimp the other night.

Other restaurants lacking decor: Tabarka, Rincon de Giovanni, Panino, Angelicas Bistro, Tango, Tony's, ect, yet some have delicious meals properly prepared.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:08 pm

Ambience and decor is important in my book but the food is THE most important followed by excellent but unobtrusive service.

Haven't tried all that lakeside has to offer yet but nothing is getting all four stars at the moment. Since we like small, intimate, QUIET garden settings does anyone have any suggestions? Love Gossips but hate the noisy location...it's enough to give you indigestion.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:00 am

Ferret, best for service, a beautiful view, and good menu selections is Vita Bella.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:27 am

Never been to Vita Bella. Where is it, por favor?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:28 pm

And I'll second Gringal's question...and what time does it open please?
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:53 pm

raqueteer wrote: Ferret, best for service, a beautiful view, and good menu selections is Vita Bella.

One persons opinion that might be biased because of where he lives. I've seen many mixed reviews on Vita Bella. I wouldn't drive to SJC when we have better in Ajijic without views.

raqueteer - What's your opinion of CHAC LAN since they have a new Chef. I've seen good reviews.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:19 pm

Vita Bella is on the road heading towards Chac Lan. First enter the Raquet Club, then ask at the guard house. I'm pretty sure it's the third street up then turn right, Both Chac Lan and Vita Bella have their own guard house as well. Vita Bella is first on the right. In fact the headwaiter from the Nueva Posada is now there. Service is great.

I agree it is tempting to go to a closer restaurant, however we really do like this one. I haven't found anything better in Ajijc, taking all things into consideration. JMO.

Chac Lan lost us a couple of chefs ago, we could only recommend it for drinks, since the restaurant is quite wonderful from an appearance point of view, and the views are incredible. Guess I'd need some convincing.

Oop's, not sure about opening time, I'll check later this week.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down