INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rossy the Seamstress in Ajijic

+5
Jreboll
ferret
LuvSouth
mudgirl
BisbeeGal
9 posters

Go down

Rossy the Seamstress in Ajijic  Empty Rossy the Seamstress in Ajijic

Post by BisbeeGal Thu May 26, 2022 6:00 pm

This week her storefront has been repainted and her sign is gone. Her entry is partly open and I can see new tiles stacked up.

Wondering if she's renovating, moving or closing.

Anyone know?
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Rossy the Seamstress in Ajijic  Empty Re: Rossy the Seamstress in Ajijic

Post by mudgirl Thu May 26, 2022 7:38 pm

That's always been one of the most unfathomable things in Mexico for me. Businesses suddenly close, without any sign anywhere saying that they have moved to another location, and where, or that they have closed for good.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSouth Thu May 26, 2022 8:00 pm

If you need a new, more reliable, certainly more reasonably priced alterations person, Sra. Blanca Castro is on the south side of Ocampo, in the next block east of Rossy’s (former) location. Look for the sewing machine-shaped sign above the door. Her cell: 331 066 2064. Oh— in small letters under the little sewing machine is every frugal woman’s mantra, “Make do and mend.”

LuvSouth

ferret and mudgirl like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu May 26, 2022 8:13 pm

Could you be more specific about directions LuvSouth? I do not know where Rossy WAS located so I'm a little confused. For some reason, propane dryers kill elastics in Mexico. I have skirts and pants that need the elastics replaced. I used to do this stuff myself and I do have a sewing machine but threading it (even with a magnifying glass) is getting to be an exercise in frustration.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

gringal likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Thu May 26, 2022 10:21 pm

I don't have a propane dryer or any dryer. I hang my clothes up on a clothesline, I thought it was the sun. I therefore conclude that Mexico kills elastic, I don't know why.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri May 27, 2022 6:09 am

LOL! Good to know. It's a mystery why this only happens in Mexico.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:43 pm

Someone posted this on FB in response to Rossy:

If you do happen to go to Ajijic, Rosy has moved from her workshop on Ocampo to her house a few doors east at #9.
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

ferret likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jreboll Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:10 pm

ferret wrote:LOL! Good to know. It's a mystery why this only happens in Mexico.
UV exposure increases 6 to 10% with every 1000 ft of altitude.

Jreboll
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:45 pm

It happens on the coast as well.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by BisbeeGal Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:38 pm

fyi, Rossy is back in her old spot.  

Seems it was another case of a landlord wanting a big rent increase.  In the end they worked it out and Rosy has her old place now with new floor and fresh paint, inside and out.
BisbeeGal
BisbeeGal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Rossy the Seamstress in Ajijic  Empty Alterations Person Language

Post by Fastfox Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:40 pm

LuvSouth wrote:If you need a new, more reliable, certainly more reasonably priced alterations person, Sra. Blanca Castro is on the south side of Ocampo, in the next block east of Rossy’s (former) location.  Look for the sewing machine-shaped sign above the door.  Her cell: 331 066 2064.  Oh— in small letters under the little sewing machine is every frugal woman’s mantra, “Make do and mend.”  

Does she speak any English?
Fastfox
Fastfox
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSouth Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:11 pm

Rosy speaks perfect English, but she charges gringo prices.

LuvSouth

Back to top Go down

Post by Fastfox Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:07 pm

LuvSouth wrote:Rosy speaks perfect English, but she charges gringo prices.
My question was directed at the post re Sr. Blanca.
Fastfox
Fastfox
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by artsnob Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:28 pm

Blanca is there by chance!

artsnob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:06 pm

LuvSouth wrote:Rosy speaks perfect English, but she charges gringo prices.

Why shouldn’t she? You want nationals pricing, learn Spanish. There are well off foreigners here who want to be catered to but begrudge paying for the extras — including them learning another language for your convenience.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

CanuckBob, kiko, BisbeeGal and dvinton like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:44 pm

I would imagine that most time when people claim someone charges "gringo prices" they have no idea what that person charges their Mexican customers. They just think it should somehow be cheaper, because they have no idea how long how complicated what they want done will be, nor what any materials for their project will cost.

I do upholstery and once after I had made some built-in-bench cushions for a friend of mine, she asked, "How come you're so much more expensive than Sammy?" (the Mexican upholsterer in the next town)

I was taken aback and asked her what she meant. She said other friends of hers had just gotten cushions made by him and they paid a lot less. I asked her if the cushions were the same dimensions, and she said she had no idea. Well, if they were a foot shorter and 6 inches narrower and only 4cm thick instead of 8, then of course they would be cheaper. If you need 5 sq. meters of foam, dacron batting, and Sunbrella fabric (which greatly varies in price depending on color, texture and pattern), obviously that's going to cost a lot less than if you need 8 sq.meters.
I also do much more finished work than that other upholsterer. I serge off all the inside seams so they don't fray in the wash, stringing off and getting caught in the zipper, for instance. I'm not cheap with thread and use tighter stitches, so the seams don't rip out.

In fact, I have had customers come to me for work, who said Sammy has gotten too expensive- he is not actually cheaper than me at all. And people have to wait around all day for him to come measure, or deliver their projects, because of course he never shows up when he says he will, and doesn't bother to call to say he'll be late.

So I don't put much stock in ex-pats claiming they are charged a gringo price. That may be true when quoted some ridiculous price by a silver jewelry middleman on the beach, or some car washer in a parking lot who thinks you aren't aware of the going rate, but most business people who provide services have standard rates that are fair.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Carry Bean, gringal, ferret, Lady Otter Latté, kamcd and BisbeeGal like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:17 pm

There are those who know "the price of everything and the value of nothing" (Oscar Wilde).
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Carry Bean and mudgirl like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by cypress Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:59 pm

Are there other recommended sewists? I used to use a guy at the SW corner of the Jocotepec plaza but Covid closed him down.

cypress
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:21 pm

Sewist. Now that's a new word. Female sewers are usually called seamstresses, although now that so many words are gender-neutral, maybe sewer is the correct term.
In Spanish, called a costurera.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jreboll Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:32 pm

“According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the correct term for anyone who engages in needlework is “sewer”. Some modern writers have also started using the catchy, new term “sewist”, which combines the words “artist” and “sewer”. There are plenty of sewing terms to choose from.”

Jreboll
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:40 pm

ferret wrote:There are those who know "the price of everything and the value of nothing" (Oscar Wilde).

Exactly. Also most people don't know how to check for quality when something is new. Almost everything looks good when it's new- it's how it holds up over time that counts and is what consitutes value.

I had a friend whose husband was cheap and he insisted on going to some upholsterer in PV who he had no recommendations for, he just walked into whatever shop he saw. The fabric he and she chose was a cotton blend, and the upholsterer never thought to wash it and dry it before making the cushion cover, or tell them to. So the first time they washed it, it shrunk up 8 inches in length and of course would never fit again.

But another friend, who I first met when she came to me to make bench cushions and covers, and who has done alot of sewing herself, told me a couple years later, "I never told you this before, because I didn't know you well and didn't know if you'd be offended, but the first thing I did when I got those new cushions home was remove the cover and turn it inside out to see how well it was constructed, if the seams were finished off nicely, if the zipper was sewn in well, that the stitching looked good and with the proper tension, and that nothing would fray away. "

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

gringal and ferret like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down