INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tacos

+2
slainte39
ComputerGuy
6 posters

Go down

Tacos Empty Tacos

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:45 am

There is a Netflix series called TACO CHRONICLES, in Spanish but with English subtitles. Two seasons now. I couldn't have expected more than an hour's worth of material, but man there is a huge love for tacos in Mexico. The show highlights different states and focuses on different styles. First episode was al pastor; 2nd was Michoacan style carnitas. And I'm thinking, I don't know if I've ever come across a place around here that sells tacos carnitas. If I did, I wasn't aware. Most places have bisteak, chorizo, and various body parts.

Long-time residents will know. I also am aware that there are very few places that do al pastor. One in Riberas early this year across from the Pemex made them very poorly, but offered incredible deals, like 1o for 100p, then they moved to beside the iLox office in Ajijic, where the closed and Ismat's chicken place took over, whcih also closed due to poor quality food.

Curious about the next 10 episodes...
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Tacos Empty Re: Tacos

Post by slainte39 Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:38 pm

ComputerGuy wrote:There is a Netflix series called TACO CHRONICLES, in Spanish but with English subtitles. Two seasons now. I couldn't have expected more than an hour's worth of material, but man there is a huge love for tacos in Mexico. The show highlights different states and focuses on different styles. First episode was al pastor; 2nd was Michoacan style carnitas. And I'm thinking, I don't know if I've ever come across a place around here that sells tacos carnitas. If I did, I wasn't aware. Most places have bisteak, chorizo, and various body parts.

Long-time residents will know. I also am aware that there are very few places that do al pastor. One in Riberas early this year across from the Pemex made them very poorly, but offered incredible deals, like 1o for 100p, then they moved to beside the iLox office in Ajijic, where the closed and Ismat's chicken place took over, whcih also closed due to poor quality food.

Curious about the next 10 episodes...

Hector´s going out toward La Cristina, you order a plate of carnitas and they bring the tortillas and you have to fill them yourself….it´s the same thing with the necessary condiments.  
New "al pastor" taquería in Chapala, a couple of doors from Coldwell Banker on Hidalgo, just open in the evenings, I believe.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Jubilacion likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:10 pm

Right, I forgot about Hector's! Thank you. Some mighty fine carnitas there. I've just never bought tacos there... always a kilo of carnitas and eat half of it on the way home while it's hot. They make sure to include a lot of crispy/crunchy ends and easy to (I don't know what the right word is; I thought deshabra or something for pull/shred).

Good to know about the al pastor too. Cheers.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:26 pm

Almost right………."deshebrada"

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:06 am

That is actually what I thought, based on a verb deshebrar? I always ask for it deshebrada at the markets, but I could not find the word on Google translate.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by SunFan Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:34 am

I watched the first episode last night. Educational as well as entertaining. A must see.

SunFan
SunFan
SunFan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : None....no I'm joking.

ComputerGuy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:18 pm

ComputerGuy wrote:That is actually what I thought, based on a verb deshebrar? I always ask for it deshebrada at the markets, but I could not find the word on Google translate.

If you get over to Sinaloa and want something like that, you would ask for tacos de chilorio, not deshebrada.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

ComputerGuy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:13 pm

Where to get good al Pastor tacos around here?

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:57 pm

I would like someone selling Mediterranean Donair, Shwarma and Falafels. These are the standard lunchtime and evening treats all over North America and Western Europe. You would have to make your own pita breads though. By the time they make it to market here they are flour frisbees.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:36 pm

There used to be a Greek restaurant on Colon with awesome gyros.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:16 am

I think you meant "Doner Kebab"; not "donair" as an English phonetic rendition of the word.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:25 am

There is a big difference between a doner kebab and a donair. Mediterranean (Lebanese, more specifically) donairs became one of the first extremely popular ethnic fast food items in my home town in Canada about 30 years ago.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:05 pm

It is still 'doner kebab', of Turkish origin, made with lamb on a vertical spit with charcoal. It is typically served on pita bread ("pide") with yoghurt.
It is popular in Europe and many other places, as well as Lebanon, etc., all around the Mediterranean.
I love it !!!!
The closest you may find in Mexico is a "taco al pastor", usually of pork, and also cooked on a vertical spit in the manner of doner kebab, as Mexico inherited Mediterranean culture with the Conquistadores of Mooris and Hispanic descent.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:34 pm

I'll be embarking on my taco tour shortley.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

inthecolumbiagorge likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:11 pm

RVGRINGO wrote:It is still 'doner kebab', of Turkish origin, made with lamb on a vertical spit with charcoal. It is typically served on pita bread ("pide") with yoghurt.  
It is popular in Europe and many other places, as well as Lebanon, etc., all around the Mediterranean.
I love it !!!!
The closest you may find in Mexico is a "taco al pastor", usually of pork, and also cooked on a vertical spit in the manner of doner kebab, as Mexico inherited Mediterranean culture with the Conquistadores of Mooris and Hispanic descent.

Why do you say that? It simply is not. Unless you think one must go back to the very first instance of the creation of a food type, and everything else after that is wrong.

As I said already, he is talking about a donair. A Lebanese donair. They don't look remotely similar and are on a different bread.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:18 pm

RVGRINGO wrote:It is still 'doner kebab', of Turkish origin, made with lamb on a vertical spit with charcoal. It is typically served on pita bread ("pide") with yoghurt.  
I love it !!!!

In Ireland, the most numerous fast food outlets are Abrakebabra, called a doner and started by Turkish immigrants, they are everywhere, and extremely popular. I have never seen or heard of a donair in Ireland but they must be good.  In Killarney, there is a very good doner outlet but it is owned and operated by an Iranian.
Lamb is plentiful in Ireland, so it´s a natural for the country.  (4 million people, 50 million sheep) lol!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:41 pm

(4 million people, 50 million sheep) lol![/quote]

50 million worried looking sheep!

The donair and schwarma setup is so easy, so Mexican. A couple electric stove elements. A rotating base. Then a high tech aluminum foil curtain to keep the heat in. The secret is the sides and pickles. My local favorite was from Istanbul. Chicken breasts marinated in spicy tomato and chile. Roasted on the spit. Always had crunchy bits. A roasted eggplant pickle, harrissa chile paste, garlic sauce, donair sauce and fried onions. Less than five minutes prep and a happy customer. $5 dollars?
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:10 pm

Donair sauce was probably my favourite part. Now, donairs are the official food of Halifax, a place I used to live long before.

https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/news/local/how-the-donair-with-its-greek-origins-became-halifaxs-official-food-323385/
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down