INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mediterranean Gas Fireplace Entertainment Center

+7
Milena
ferret
CanuckBob
johninajijic
CheenaGringo
El Bajio
Chapalagringa
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Mediterranean Gas Fireplace Entertainment Center Empty Mediterranean Gas Fireplace Entertainment Center

Post by Chapalagringa Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:25 am

Anyone have a built in entertainment center with a gas fireplace that could share a picture? Time for designing & the mls seems to blocked :( Most of the pictures online are created with wood or drywall, that I've found.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all natural

Back to top Go down

Mediterranean Gas Fireplace Entertainment Center Empty Re: Mediterranean Gas Fireplace Entertainment Center

Post by Chapalagringa Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:49 pm

Does anyone have an Interlago style home with a fireplace/entertainment center?
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Mediterranean Gas Fireplace Entertainment Center Empty Re: Mediterranean Gas Fireplace Entertainment Center

Post by El Bajio Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:46 pm

Here is the new website for the MLS:

http://chapalamls.com/

El Bajio
El Bajio

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:18 pm

Thank you!!!

I spent all afternoon on that project and came up with this, with modifications and imagination, and am very excited:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/91142568@N00/sets/

Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:35 pm

A good looking concept but please stop and consider the thermal transfer capabilities of the material used in constructing such an arrangement. You are basically talking about a modified "Kiva fireplace" as we call them here in the SW. One of the attraction to this style is that they absorb the heat and radiate heat back into the living area. Unless you were to incorporate some sort of heat shield and adequate ventilation for the area designated for the TV, you may be exposing your TV to higher temps than it was designed to operate under. Excess heat can shorten the lifespan of many electronic devices. To give an example, we have a DISH box enclosed in an oak and glass entertainment center. If the temps inside of the entertainment center rise too high on rare occasions, we get a message from the box on our TV screen warning us. We then have to increase the speed of the overhead fan and open the doors to increase ventilation before the message will leave our screen.

I will grant you that fireplaces are rarely used in the area but just a word of advice!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:59 pm

Actually, it's going to look like a regular fireplace w/brick inlay. hmm, good thinking about the tv. I'm just the designer, not the constructor, who usually thinks of all that great stuff.

From my understanding, the brick & cement doesn't absorb the heat much and the tv shouldn't get warmer than the room. If it gets too hot, we'll just turn it off. We've lived here 8 years and my feet get cold in the a.m. & p.m. I'll love not wearing my coat in the house or having to bake something to get the house warm, although, it does smell wonderful :)

http://www.majesticfireplaces.com/HTML/gaslogs.html
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:15 pm

I will grant you that fireplaces are rarely used in the area

There isn't much wood. My husband's summers used to be cutting firewood for our Fireplacextrodinair ...what a blast from the past! That baby could heat the entire 2300 sq ft house. Sometimes we had to open the windows in the formal living room and couldn't really enjoy it in there because it got hot as hell! lol I don't hope to repeat that w/this little gas log deal. Evil or Very Mad Smokealot But it will make a nice illusion.

We've used space heaters in the past and w/electric so outrages, gas is a much better option. It'll be the focal point in our great room and take off the chill when needed. I'm ready for it now and it'll probably be a month before it's completed. Nights are getting chilly for here. Another reason why I love living here, if I'm chilly now, I freeze up north!
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:50 pm

If you want warmth from your gas log get vent free, not vented gas logs otherwise the heat goes up the chimney. Gas logs are expensive!!!

Take a look at Petersonlogs.com made by RH Peterson considered one of the best. You can get them here, but they cost about $ 200. US more. Buy them in the States or ask a friend to bring them down. Measure your fireplace first carefully.

I wouldn't mount a TV above a fireplace unless it was properly shielded from heat.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:22 am

We already bought the logs & they're vent free. They cost around $2,000 here locally, is that what you meant to write? Someone is bringing it down to us. We went w/Majestic, I posted a link in a comment above.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:48 am

Chapalagringa wrote:We already bought the logs & they're vent free. They cost around $2,000 here locally, is that what you meant to write? Someone is bringing it down to us. We went w/Majestic, I posted a link in a comment above.

If you're saying you bought them for $ 2,000. pesos here, you bought them cheap, but there's a huge difference in how gas logs look when they're lit.

My Peterson RealFyre logs in the US were $ 489. US., but they are considered one of the best manufacturers.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:57 am

NOOooo, that's not what I'm saying!!! The logs cost something outrages, about $2,000 US in the local store HERE lakeside. We DIDN'T pay that. We bought last year's model, that's been discontinued, for less than $300. Someone is bringing it down to us. comeprende? ;) It looks like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Majestic-28-Vent-Free-Gas-Logs-Remote-/290600980519?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a92b1027#ht_500wt_922

If we don't like it, we can always change it to the other brand you're speaking of.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:10 am

Would you like to watch the progress? This is the 1st step. Gas line is being plumbed today and it's been masked off. Maybe something more to show tonight. Ok CB, is this too bloggy for here?

Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:24 am

No......blog away.

Beer
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:11 pm

I headed out to the Coffee Hour while I had a chance and my husband & son began working on our project. This is what I'm looking at this evening.

Mediterranean Gas Fireplace Entertainment Center 6145222311_542d14edc5_b
fireplace day 3
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:24 pm

UUHHHMMMM...

They didn't take out the tile floor? I'm kinda thinking that the brick should be bonded to the concrete underneath the tile and also into the concrete wall behind it.

My opinion only.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:29 pm

Maybe he's thinking portable? Kidding

He didn't think it was a problem being they built our pantry on top of the tile.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:40 pm

Is your pantry freestanding? or did it butt up to any solid walls on either side?
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:00 pm

It's permanent ink. No, no...permanent. Of course, attached to walls.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:15 pm

The walls that the pantry is attached to were there before? (is what I mean).
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:53 pm

Our home is a new construction, well a little over a year now. Not a remodel. The entertainment center was suppose to have been done before we moved in but it was forgotten. My husband said it was put off because I couldn't make up my mind. Our builder always told me that it's done after the construction of the house. We moved in and now are getting around to doing it. The pantry was complete before we moved in and that's the way they did it. You'd have to see it to understand how it's constructed because, well, you'd have to see it. :) There's one diagonal wall that's built on the tile but you can't tell.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Milena Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:52 pm

ferret wrote:UUHHHMMMM...

They didn't take out the tile floor? I'm kinda thinking that the brick should be bonded to the concrete underneath the tile and also into the concrete wall behind it.

My opinion only.

Ha ha. We are in Mexico. Throw all rational thinking out the window and go have a drink. flag waver

Milena
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic, hedonistic British wit.

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:42 pm

LOL! I don't drink and have now lived in Mexico for 15 years and have done both renovations and built a home here.

Never seen anything like that done before...nor would I approve it.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:07 pm

Well, you need to think about it this way. Why would you bother to tear out tile when the wall isn't a weight bearing wall? It's attached to two other weight bearing walls. Like I wrote early on, you'd have to see it.

2ndly, would you tear out tile to install a freestanding portable gas fireplace? Of course not. Portable only needs to be secured to the wall. Wood fireplaces and stoves are installed over plywood in the states, does that meet your standards? We've outdone ourselves. Think it's funny, fine. Don't have your approval, not important to me. Maybe you'll learn something.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:16 pm

You can do it any way you like sweetie. Have fun with the project.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:49 pm

Also, tile is more dense than brick so it is not necessary to tear out tile. I found out there's a lot more of my house built this way, including bath vanities and island.

CanuckBob, you need to learn how to do this in your upcoming spare time!

end of day 4
Mediterranean Gas Fireplace Entertainment Center 6150522303_6865022411_b

end of day 5
Mediterranean Gas Fireplace Entertainment Center 6151073530_da7f996156_b

end of day 6
Mediterranean Gas Fireplace Entertainment Center 6154709476_fa4888ddff_b

Mediterranean Gas Fireplace Entertainment Center 6170411741_34e8abee73_b

Mediterranean Gas Fireplace Entertainment Center 6170943044_8c37e48e23_b

Mediterranean Gas Fireplace Entertainment Center 6170941474_28a5b70416_b

end of day 10
Mediterranean Gas Fireplace Entertainment Center 6173505109_2075ebfa34_b

end of day 10
Mediterranean Gas Fireplace Entertainment Center 6173512757_0505df7500_b

end of day 10
Mediterranean Gas Fireplace Entertainment Center 6174029156_1eba2a9ea1_b

end of day 11
Mediterranean Gas Fireplace Entertainment Center 6178532477_e6a557db32_b

end of day 12 mantle taking shape
Mediterranean Gas Fireplace Entertainment Center 6178541095_ae8e5f112c_b

end of day 12
Mediterranean Gas Fireplace Entertainment Center 6179059790_f75f377a4f_b

end of day 12
Mediterranean Gas Fireplace Entertainment Center 6179062800_55e121fd3f_b
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next