INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chafing devices

+3
ComputerGuy
Tday
WillieRae
7 posters

Go down

Chafing devices Empty Chafing devices

Post by WillieRae Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:00 am

Is it a bad idea to leave tablets, phones, etc plugged into chargers once at 100%? I plug mine in at night but I know it doesn't take all night to reach capacity and don't want to ruin the battery.

WillieRae
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Chafing devices Empty Re: Chafing devices

Post by Tday Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:26 am

Been doing it for years, I've had no problems, Pretty much use all
Mac.

Tday
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:48 am

My Pixel 2 owner's manual says I should not leave it to charge past 100%, as this will reduce effective charging capacity over time. I've heard so many stories over the years, who knows what to believe. But Google in this case would have no financial advantage for saying this. So, I plug it in in the morning while working, and do not leave it plugged in overnight. But another thing: it only takes an hour to top it up each day.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:14 am

I have read the same conflicting claims. I solved the problem by getting a long charging cord and setting up my “tablet nest” so I can keep the tablet plugged in during long sessions. I also top it up throughout the day when not using it. Have not done an overnight charge in a couple of years just in case.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Plan B Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:49 am

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries
How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries
Plan B
Plan B
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Canada_Mike Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:57 pm

have no idea what the bottom line was in that article PB.
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : New York

http://gilbert.info.yorku.ca/

Back to top Go down

Post by WillieRae Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:41 am

A quite technical thread!

WillieRae
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:13 am

I have an electric assisted adult trike, which is powered by a large Li battery. The recommendation is to keep the battery in a 'climate controlled' area, when it is not in use, and to re-charge at about 50%, instead of allowing it to run down completely with every use.  They say that it will increase both efficiency and battery life, which agrees with the article mentioned above.  I will comply with the recommendations, as a new battery costs $750.00 USD.
That said, there is no problem using the battery to lower levels, on occasion, and I have just hit 17 miles with 30% charge left, before I recharged to 100%.  Most of that was 'stop and go' and at 6-14 MPH on rather level streets.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Plan B Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:17 am

Canada_Mike wrote:have no idea what the bottom line was in that article PB.

Assuming you are talking about lithium batteries, it is well known fact that charging to less than full capacity drastically extends the number of full cycles for which the battery will maintain capacity within a certain percentage of full capacity. For example, charging a battery to let’s say 85% will allow 2500 full charge-discharge cycles before capacity drops below 90% but if you charge to 100%, then the battery will take 1800 cycles before dropping below 90% capacity.

Most reputable vendors of raw cells will provide such specifications for their cells. Also, keep in mind that depth or discharge also affects cycles (discharging to 0% is a no-no) as does temperature and charge current (and these last two are often related). Also, if you don’t use full charge/discharge cycles, these numbers can also change. In addition, there are numerous variations in the cell chemistry that affect such specifications. But in general, working the battery between 30% to 80% capacity can drastically extend its life.
https://www.quora.com/Is-it-true-that-you-should-only-charge-your-battery-to-80-meaning-you-can-only-expect-80-of-the-battery-life-advertised
Plan B
Plan B
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down