INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ajijic to west coast beaches

5 posters

Go down

Ajijic to west coast beaches Empty Ajijic to west coast beaches

Post by Johnnyp Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:28 am

Not sure where to post this..I've planned a motorbike trip from ajijic to west coast beaches using highway 544 through the mountains to connect with 200..has anyone heard of potential dangers on that road? Thanks

Johnnyp

Back to top Go down

Ajijic to west coast beaches Empty Re: Ajijic to west coast beaches

Post by CanuckBob Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:52 am

I think you mean the 54D which is the toll highway from Guadalajara to Colima and beyond to Manzanillo. I drive this regularly and have never encountered a problem nor have I heard of any problems from anyone else.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnnyp Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:58 am

Thanks but no, the map calls it 544. It intersects the road to Guadalajara from joco and goes west over the mountains through La Estancia, Las Palmas de Arriba and ends at Nuevo Vallarta.
I'm not even sure it's completely paved but appears so on the map as it's a solid line. Please advise if you have any recent danger reports on this one.

Johnnyp

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:19 pm

I don't have any danger reports on any highway from Guadalajara to the coast. If I was on a motorcycle I would stick to the toll highways though as some of the other routes can get pretty rough with unmarked topes (speedbumps) popping up anywhere.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:22 pm

To NV I would take the 15D and then the 200. There is a new bypass that may or may not be open when you take your trip that eliminates a good part of the 200.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:29 pm

Johnnyp wrote:Thanks but no, the map calls it 544. It intersects the road to Guadalajara from joco and goes west over the mountains through La Estancia, Las Palmas de Arriba and ends at Nuevo Vallarta.
I'm not even sure it's completely paved but appears so on the map as it's a solid line. Please advise if you have any recent danger reports on this one.

Have a great trip, sounds like a good adventure. Sometimes there are slides or rocks or livestock in the road so drive very carefully and defensively as you never know what might be around that turn. Had some great Mexican food one day on a porch in La Estancia. Have fun!
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:40 pm

Johnnyp wrote:Not sure where to post this..I've planned a motorbike trip from ajijic to west coast beaches using highway 544 through the mountains to connect with 200..has anyone heard of potential dangers on that road? Thanks

OK,...... I use this route all the time going to PV, like 3 or 4 times in the last 12 months.
Hiway 70 thru Ameca to Mascota becomes, or changes to hiway 544 from Mascota to PV.  Yes, you do go (bypass) Las Palmas and enter PV on the loop of hiway 200 around the airport.  It is IMHO, as safe as the longer way thru Compostela, but a lot less expensive, as it costs me about 700 pesos less in tolls and gasoline.  Even though it is shorter in distance, the time is about the same as the longer route, because of the mountains, curves, and the going through Ameca and Mascota.  It is paved all the way, and actually is 4 lane from GDL to Ameca.  It is a beautiful interesting drive with lots of great scenery and the towns along the way.  It skirts San Sebastian, which is worth a stop and look see as well as Mascota (which you have to drive thru).  The cuota to Compostela, now Jala, and beyond gets kind of boring to me, after a few dozen trips Very Happy
Dangers?......well, in the temporada de lluvias, watch for rocks in the road (infrequently), occasionally livestock, pedestrians, farm machinery, the usual, but very little traffic or tractor/trailers to slow you down.
For the last 5 or more years, this the only way I have made the trip (multiple trips each year).

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:45 pm

As said, you will skirt San Sebastian and Talpa. Both worthy of side trips and Mascota is good to explore or spend the night. 
I always go this way too but haven't been in awhile.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RickS Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:31 pm

Great, informative Post slainte39!
RickS
RickS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:47 am

Trailrunner wrote:As said, you will skirt San Sebastian and Talpa. Both worthy of side trips and Mascota is good to explore or spend the night. 
I always go this way too but haven't been in awhile.

Talpa.......... lol!

That's the biggest drawback using that hiway on or around Semana Santa/Pascua, when the great pilgrimage is being carried out and the peregrinos, on foot, horseback, motos, burros, or any other form of transportation  number in the thousands and probably just as many buses.
It resembles "El Buen Fin" in GDL, if that gives you any understanding of the congestion. Very Happy

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:12 am

I know, I know, but that's not happening now. I imagine the road to Talpa would be fun on a bike.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnnyp Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:51 am

Thanks for all these instructions..I'm trying to pin point all these places of note and numbers but my map is tiny and my eyes are failing so it's taking me some time. I may have more questions but appreciate your input

Johnnyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down