INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mail

+4
kiva
martygraw
David
CanuckBob
8 posters

Go down

Mail Empty Mail

Post by CanuckBob Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:55 pm

I am wondering what everyone is doing about mail they may need to get from NOB. I am thinking about bills or tax slips that one may need to get. I don't plan on having many but will probably have a Shaw system on a Canadian address, a Canadian Visa and tax receipts from investments come tax time. I could use my sister's address up here for the mail to go to but was wondering what the other options are.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Mail Empty Re: Mail

Post by David Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:01 pm

We use HandyMail, a courier service from Laredo. Others use MBE and Sol y Luna. Some use the Mexican post, but if it's important, like a tax document, I recommend one of the mail services.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by martygraw Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:39 pm

We have our mail colected and forwarded to our post office box in Jocotepec every 15 days. Been here 8 years never lost a thing. Time from Canada to Joco aprox 15 days. Cost of box for the year 300 pesos.
martygraw
martygraw
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:40 pm

What ever works. There are many tales of mail here, this is but one.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:17 pm

Marty, who collects your mail and forwards it to Joco?

CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kiva Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:02 pm

Bob, be aware some do mail and no packages and others do mail & packages. So, depending on what your needs are.
I'll start checking them out pretty soon, so I'll give you my thoughts once I get done.

kiva
kiva

Back to top Go down

Post by martygraw Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:25 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Marty, who collects your mail and forwards it to Joco?

We have our Canadian address in Minaki On. (north of Kenora) The mail comes to our address there and is picked up by my bro-in-law. He puts it in a large envolope and mails it every 15 days.
martygraw
martygraw
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:06 am

I can access all my tax info and bank online. Would think Shaw has online access as well
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:28 am

Thanks for the info Marty.

Like Sparks suggests, I am hoping what few bills (maybe just Shaw & Visa??) I will have from Canada can be e-invoiced. I am going to check with my accountant to see if I can have any tax documents (T-1's, etc.) mailed directly to his office so he has everything to file my taxes each year.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:02 am

CanuckBob wrote:Thanks for the info Marty.

Like Sparks suggests, I am hoping what few bills (maybe just Shaw & Visa??) I will have from Canada can be e-invoiced. I am going to check with my accountant to see if I can have any tax documents (T-1's, etc.) mailed directly to his office so he has everything to file my taxes each year.

Bob:

Are you going to declare as a non-resident? If so make sure your accountant is fully aware of the non-resident tax requirements and section 217 returns. Most accountants in Canada are not up to date on non-resident returns. They may only get 1 or 2 and maybe non of this type. They are rare.
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : A little English

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:31 pm

Bob,

I use Sol y Luna which is in west Ajijic, very convenient because I live in San Juan Cosala. They do bring packages for a fee. Before that when I lived in San Antonio I used Handy Mail. At Sol y Luna I share a mail box with another household and that keeps the cost down. Here is a link to the Sol y Luna website: http://www.solylunalogistics.com/

I forgot to add that with either Handy Mail or Sol y Luna you have a Laredo Texas mail box address and at least for Sol y Luna it is sent 2 to 3 times per week to your box in Ajijic.

Last edited by simpsca on Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:36 pm

DaveP wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:Thanks for the info Marty.

Bob:

Are you going to declare as a non-resident? If so make sure your accountant is fully aware of the non-resident tax requirements and section 217 returns. Most accountants in Canada are not up to date on non-resident returns. They may only get 1 or 2 and maybe non of this type. They are rare.

Hi Dave, no we are not going to declare "non-residence" status. We are going to be filing our taxes like Canadian residents so that won't be an issue. We may change to non-resident after we turn 70 and have to pull out our RRSP monies if it makes sense at that time.

CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:00 pm

We can access just about everything online for our personal accounting needs. I do like real statements eventually though...kind of like hard copy proof of whatever. When I get a new one, the old one gets thrown out. (If you've ever had to clean out a parent's residence after they've departed, you'll understand that last line).
For fifteen years, we've used a Mexican P.O. Box without problems.
The funny part is that I can't get statements online from the Canadian TD Bank...
because I don't have a Canadian address...DUH!!!!!
And you can have your tax info forwarded directly to an accountant. I did that for my mum's taxes for seven years...sure worked a hell of a lot faster than having it sent to me here and me faxing the info to the accountant and sending it all back up to him in Canada.
If you're going to go for official non-residency in Canada, do it when the ass falls out of the market next time...you'll pay far less capital gains on the deemed disposition of your assets.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down