INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to Board

+8
Zedinmexico
Gamina
oncesubtle
rvanparys
RVGRINGO
Trailrunner
CanuckBob
Aer-
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

New to Board Empty New to Board

Post by Aer- Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:37 pm

Hello all,

I have been sneaking peeks at the board for about a week and went ahead and signed up. I doing my "due diligence" so to speak on the area. I am lucky to be able to take some time off and looking for a mini retirement so to speak. The plan is 2-3 years out of the US for some recharge and adventure. I already speak some Spanish, still very out of practice. This area exp Ajjic has my interest. So I hope to be able to post some questions here and there.

Thanks
Aer-
Aer-

Humor : Love IceCream

Back to top Go down

New to Board Empty Re: New to Board

Post by CanuckBob Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:32 am

Welcome to the board, Aer-.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:38 am

Bienvenidos a Mexico. Ask away.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Aer- Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:22 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Welcome to the board, Aer-.

Trailrunner wrote:Bienvenidos a Mexico. Ask away.

Thanks for the welcomes, very much appreciated.

Well is there a particular time of year that is good or bad to move to the area?

Also for the resident paper work I will be dealing with the Miami Consulate, anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks
Aer-
Aer-

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:35 pm

Summer arrival will give you the greatest choice of available rentals, as the snowbirds will have flown north. Other than that, avoid Christmas week and Holy week, as many places may be on skeleton crews, or even closed. Mexico does have noisy fiestas, which can interfere with getting around, but most only last for 9 days. There will be one somewhere in the area every 10 days, or so.
flag waver Welcome to Mexico!

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Aer- Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:49 pm

RVGRINGO wrote:Summer arrival will give you the greatest choice of available rentals, as the snowbirds will have flown north.  Other than that, avoid Christmas week and Holy week, as many places may be on skeleton crews, or even closed. Mexico does have noisy fiestas, which can interfere with getting around, but most only last for 9 days. There will be one somewhere in the area every 10 days, or so.
 flag waver  Welcome to Mexico!

Yeah I saw some of that posted.  Well I am looking at Feb-Mar as an entry date.  I see lots of realtors around, any suggestions.  Also any parts of Ajijic I want to make sure not to live in, or to look at living in?
Aer-
Aer-

Back to top Go down

Post by rvanparys Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:25 am

Your planned trip is before the snow birds depart which means that pickings will most likely be slim .... That said, you may be able to score a decent rate as the high season is drawing to a close...

As to realtors, strongly suggest you get multiple opinions on any one individual... Things are a bit different here with no realtor regulation....

rvanparys
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:33 am

Start with a short term rental. Once you are here you can look for something long term. Lots of rentals come available in April.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:17 am

CanuckBob wrote:Start with a short term rental. Once you are here you can look for something long term. Lots of rentals come available in April.

Better advise you will not find and one day you will understand why it's important you trust CBob's advise on this issue.
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by Aer- Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:58 am

CanuckBob wrote:Start with a short term rental. Once you are here you can look for something long term. Lots of rentals come available in April.

Sounds like a slightly better than 11% of a plan lol. I have been looking at the MLS, and some of the realtors around. I will admit doing short term first had not crossed my mind, since I am in a long term frame of thought. So thanks.
Aer-
Aer-

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamina Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:07 am

Short term rental and don't unpack very much for when you find a great place in May.
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:37 am

oncesubtle wrote:

Better advise you will not find and one day you will understand why it's important you trust CBob's advise on this issue.

Yep but another option is rent a room for a month or so in a B&B than work on a short term rental until you know what you are doing. Lots of choices. Great rentals in great locations rent out fast. My large one bedroom Casita rented out even before we advertised it for 500USD plus gas,maid, and electricity. One year lease. I pay for internet and cable TV and filtered water. Most rent on first, last, and security deposit in USD here. You can also investigate the Peso rental market but you may not have a kitchen and you may be expected to fix more than you are use to at home. Ask questions assume nothing. Oncesubtle and C.B. advice is very spot on.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Aer- Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:34 pm

I have looked at the LCS, know about the theater, and some of the other groups. My question would be how easy is it to make friends both inside the "native English speakers" and the native Mexicans? I happen to be on the younger side, in my 40s lol.
Aer-
Aer-

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:40 pm

It is easy to make friends. I came here 5 years ago in my 40's. I have lots of friends, both gringo and Mexican. With easy access to internet jobs there is more and more younger people coming down.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:03 pm

Aer- wrote:I have looked at the LCS, know about the theater, and some of the other groups. My question would be how easy is it to make friends both inside the "native English speakers" and the native Mexicans?  I happen to be on the younger side, in my 40s lol.  

If you bear in mind that there are young people who think "old"; old people who think "young" and every kind of interest group to sample, you'll do fine. I'm seeing more and more physically younger people than ever before walking around.
Welcome and buen suerte.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Aer- Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:52 pm

gringal wrote:
Aer- wrote:I have looked at the LCS, know about the theater, and some of the other groups. My question would be how easy is it to make friends both inside the "native English speakers" and the native Mexicans?  I happen to be on the younger side, in my 40s lol.  

If you bear in mind that there are young people who think "old"; old people who think "young" and every kind of interest group to sample, you'll do fine.  I'm seeing more and more physically younger people than ever before walking around.  
Welcome and buen suerte.

Thanks to the responses. I am in full agreement, I have met many older that felt younger, and many younger that seemed 100 lol. Maturity is no different. Still it is good to know one has the potential for social activates. As for me, well I think I am an old soul that thinks young, in a body that is just the right age (and always will be).
Aer-
Aer-

Back to top Go down

Post by JayBear Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:10 pm

The great thing about renting short-term (assuming you don't have a lot of furniture, cars, and/or pets) is that you get to try out different areas and discover what you like. Ajijic probably has the most restaurants, B&B's and hotels, and definitely the most expats. If you do not have a car with you, it is nice to be in an area, like central Ajijic or Chapala near the lake so you can explore on foot of by bus. B&B's, in particular, often have hosts who are full of advice and you can learn a lot over breakfast.

JayBear
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:48 pm

Hola Aer-

You asked for advise about realtors and personally I would pass. Tried it once and it was a cumbersome middle man situation for us. Best to rent from North American types as they speak English and probably live here.

Do you have a car? If so the market will really open up and give you many more places to choose from.

Lastly, keep asking questions. The people here are happy to help and you may find a few that will become your newest and best friend.

Good luck and see ya when you get here.

oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Back to top Go down

Post by Aer- Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:36 pm

oncesubtle wrote:Hola Aer-

You asked for advise about realtors and personally I would pass. Tried it once and it was a cumbersome middle man situation for us. Best to rent from North American types as they speak English and probably live here.

Do you have a car? If so the market will really open up and give you many more places to choose from.

Lastly, keep asking questions. The people here are happy to help and you may find a few that will become your newest and best friend.

Good luck and see ya when you get here.

Thanks.  Yes, I will be driving down the first trip to have a car with me.  I am lucky to have a good friend of mine living in TX now that is also from Chile, so he has agreed to be my guide down.  I have to buy him a few steaks of course and a plane ticket back, but well worth it lol.   I intend to keep asking, and everyone has been great so far. I do appreciate the advise.   I am smart enough to know how ignorant I am lol.
Aer-
Aer-

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:09 pm

Yo Aer,

A car eh? That will be as good as gold.

I just did some checking around and found the following deal for you. I'm sure if anyone knows of anything better they'll post here or send you a PM (private message).

I suggest and recommend The Hotel Perico. 2-3 miles out of Ajijic on a large parcel of private land w/paved rd. 1 bd. 1 ba. sm apt. and a large community pool. $126 per week. Check their web site for mucho photos and offers on larger apts. Their web site is: Hotelperico.com.mex  I've met the owners and they helpful in every way. I've also known peeps who stayed there for 2 months and loved it, and others staying a week or two and they really liked it.

If it were me I'd rent there for one week then spend one day in Ajijic, a day in San Antonio, and day in Chapala. Farther west is San Juan Cosala and then Jocotepec 17 miles out. Also, there are a lot of rentals in between Chapala and Joco, all on this side of the lake. In 7 days you could easily spend a day in each town. If you find something, great, if not, pony up for another week, keep looking and I can pretty much promise you will find the perfect place.

Since this will be your biggest short term decision do take your time and take a real good look around.

Best of luck mi amigo
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:38 pm

I second Hotel Perico! Great place.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Aer- Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:17 pm

Looked over the Hotel seems like a nice idea. Also have my internet speed issue worked out. Looked over most of the country and funny enough the more risky the area the better the connections, kinda funny really.

So what is the movie theater there like, I see that there is one close by?
Aer-
Aer-

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:19 pm

There are two theaters fairly close by. The one at Laguna mall is newer and quite nice.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Aer- Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:56 pm

Looks like I will be down sometime around FEB or MAR.
Aer-
Aer-

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:03 pm

I came down for a one-week vacation in February 2008. Was back here second week of April lock, stock, dog and cat. The plan was for a one-year R&R and to return to the States for a few more years of working. I am still here!
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next