INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Car Insurance

+4
sm1mex
gringal
CanuckBob
Trailrunner
8 posters

Go down

Car Insurance Empty Car Insurance

Post by Trailrunner Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:47 am

I know, YAWN.

But! A couple of months ago someone was doing a very serious car insurance comparison and I never saw their outcome and what they decided to do. I'm up for renewal (Parker) and would like to know what their decision was. Carry Bean was that you?

TIA
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Car Insurance Empty Re: Car Insurance

Post by CanuckBob Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:20 am

My insurance is up for renewal with Parker for my 2005 Voyager. Parker told me $5300 pesos. I went to Bellon and they just quoted me $4400 for the same policy. I will be switching.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:38 am

CanuckBob wrote:My insurance is up for renewal with Parker for my 2005 Voyager. Parker told me $5300 pesos. I went to Bellon and they just quoted me $4400 for the same policy. I will be switching.

That's what I did, too. What made the biggest difference was that Belllon is local. Less costly never hurts.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by sm1mex Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:47 am

We were with a well known agent that comes from Guadalajara. Quote was 2000 pesos higher than Bellon, so we switched to Bellon several years ago and yearly car insurance going down every year as the car gets older.

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:31 am

Yes, it was I. Parker came down in price & the new policy they were selling had no deductible if your car was either stolen or totaled. Can't remember which. Anyway, it was the best deal I found after they lowered their price.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:43 pm

Thanks, all.
Ok, that was worth negotiating for with Parker then. Good job.
My policy will cost the same as last year and it's only 2700. That's just liability. I'm much more concerned with service and claims, though, and I guess you just have to see how it goes.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sm1mex Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:28 pm

Is it fair to give a high price, then when the agent finds out it is cheaper at another agent to meet that price? Why give the high price in the first place if they can give you a lower price in the end. That is when I go to the agent that gave the original low price. Not dealing with someone that gives a gringo price to take advantage.

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:02 pm

Yep that's my thinking too. I have been a customer of their's for many years so if they can't give me their best price without negotiating I switch.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sm1mex Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:30 pm

Same thing happened to me years ago at the Ajijic tiangus. A veggie man about half way down gave me a gringo price for something and when I said no, he then lowered the price quite a bit. Not only did I not buy from but have never bought from him again. I know there are Mexican and gringo prices, but I don't tolerate them. I go to the vendor that is fair to all.

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:07 pm

Well I do expect to get "haggled with" at the markets just not with the insurance agent.....jaja.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:19 pm

Well, next year I'll probably switch agents but it won't be with Bellon, though I have my health insurance with him. Not after he told me that the price goes up on collision policies the older the car gets. Makes no sense since they'd have to pay out much less each year the car ages. And I have a witness who heard him say that. (Simsca)

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:28 pm

Hmmm.....is he absolute fluent English? If not, perhaps he misspoke.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:19 pm

Yes, he is and he said that when I asked why the policy was so expensive.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:22 pm

sm1mex wrote:Is it fair to give a high price, then when the agent finds out it is cheaper at another agent to meet that price?  Why give the high price in the first place if they can give you a lower price in the end.  That is when I go to the agent that gave the original low price.  Not dealing with someone that gives a gringo price to take advantage.

Mexicans can get ripped for higher prices too.  It more depends on if you are a local Mexican or from out of town. The same would go for "gringos" as well.  They size you up by whether you are "in the know" or not.....Mexican or foreigner.
Vacationing Mexicans going to places not their usual stomping grounds, have to put up with this too....not always, but sometimes.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:35 pm

Trailrunner wrote:Thanks, all.
Ok, that was worth negotiating for with Parker then. Good job.
My policy will cost the same as last year and it's only 2700. That's just liability. I'm much more concerned with service and claims, though, and I guess you just have to see how it goes.

That's just about what I pay for liability only (with Parker), so you are not alone. In 20 years I have had only one occurrence to use them and they sent an adjustor right away. It was the other party's fault so I don't know about claims payment but they helped facilitate the payment from the other party.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:15 am

Carry Bean wrote:Well, next year I'll probably switch agents but it won't be with Bellon, though I have my health insurance with him.  Not after he told me that the price goes up on collision policies the older the car gets.  Makes no sense since they'd have to pay out much less each year the car ages.  And I have a witness who heard him say that.  (Simsca)

Actually NO. As the the vehicle gets OLDER the price on NEW parts for that vehicle year gets higher so the price of insurance goes UP.. If you need repairs in this case get a cash settlement and arrange the repair yourself. I did this some years ago and by using used body parts the repair shop saved me about 2000 pesos which went into my pocket and in effect reduced my insurance cost.
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : A little English

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:30 am

DaveP wrote:
Carry Bean wrote:Well, next year I'll probably switch agents but it won't be with Bellon, though I have my health insurance with him.  Not after he told me that the price goes up on collision policies the older the car gets.  Makes no sense since they'd have to pay out much less each year the car ages.  And I have a witness who heard him say that.  (Simsca)

Actually NO. As the the vehicle gets OLDER the price on NEW parts for that vehicle year gets higher so the price of insurance goes UP.. If you need repairs in this case get a cash settlement based on  an adjusters estimate using new parts and arrange the repair yourself. I did this some years ago and by using used body parts the repair shop saved me about 2000 pesos which went into my pocket and in effect reduced my insurance cost The same approach works north of both borders. This depends of course on the amount of salt used on the roads in the winter.
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : A little English

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:14 am

slainte39 wrote:That's just about what I pay for liability only (with Parker), so you are not alone. In 20 years I have had only one occurrence to use them and they sent an adjustor right away. It was the other party's fault so I don't know about claims payment but they helped facilitate the payment from the other party.

Thanks, Slainte! I don't think the price is out of line, seems fair to me and I did go to Bellon and their price was the same for the same coverage. I went with Parker because the office was more professional and they had it a little more together - in my experience.
Your experience was good info, thanks again.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sm1mex Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:09 am

I haven't had any claims and I have a 2005 car and the price still goes down every year with Bellon, so far so good !

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by BILLBOGEY Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:58 pm

Hi folks, a different question on auto insurance. When I first drive to Mexico do I just get insurance for 30 days and then find an insurance company/agent in Lake Chapala? Any advice on getting the initial 30 day coverage. Since I have a 2015 Honda FIT. I need full coverage including if car is stolen or totaled.
Thanks, BB

BILLBOGEY
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : UNIQUE

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:36 pm

BILLBOGEY wrote:Hi folks, a different question on auto insurance.  When I first drive to Mexico do I just get insurance for 30 days and then find an insurance company/agent in Lake Chapala?  Any advice on getting the initial 30 day coverage.  Since I have a 2015 Honda FIT.  I need full coverage including if car is stolen or totaled.
Thanks, BB

Here's a place to start with:
http://mexinsurancestore.com/

We bought ours back in 2004 in Laredo prior to crossing the border. Don't remember the exact name of the company but it was reasonable and they gave us a bunch of maps, too.

Buen Suerte.  I hope you've quit worrying about the Dengue mosquitos.  Bring personal body spray. My favorite is "Fly Out".  Spray often and you'll be fine.
Beer

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by BILLBOGEY Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:30 pm

gringal wrote:
BILLBOGEY wrote:Hi folks, a different question on auto insurance.  When I first drive to Mexico do I just get insurance for 30 days and then find an insurance company/agent in Lake Chapala?  Any advice on getting the initial 30 day coverage.  Since I have a 2015 Honda FIT.  I need full coverage including if car is stolen or totaled.
Thanks, BB

Here's a place to start with:
http://mexinsurancestore.com/

We bought ours back in 2004 in Laredo prior to crossing the border. Don't remember the exact name of the company but it was reasonable and they gave us a bunch of maps, too.

Buen Suerte.  I hope you've quit worrying about the Dengue mosquitos.  Bring personal body spray. My favorite is "Fly Out".  Spray often and you'll be fine.
Beer
Thanks Gringal, I looked at the mexinsurance store website. The 6 month policies are cheaper than the 31 day( I put in dates 16 aug to 15 sep).
There were several companies to choose from. I am not sure if I should get the $300K or $500k limits. HDI only had $300K limit, Ace Platinum had $300K and $500K limit options. With $300K HDI 6 month was $415 USD and Ace was $363 USD. It is interesting that it appears you must keep your US car insurance in effect to have the MX companies insure you.

Another person emailed me to contact a local agent, Jesus Tejeda, who he is happy with. I will do that.

I guess I have bigger concerns now than skeeters (mosquitos).
BB

BILLBOGEY
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : UNIQUE

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum