INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

San Cristóbal de las Casas questions...

+2
CanuckBob
Rosa Venus
6 posters

Go down

San Cristóbal de las Casas questions... Empty San Cristóbal de las Casas questions...

Post by Rosa Venus Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:14 pm

I bought a plane ticket a few days ago, just an impulsive spur of the moment purchase. Never been there and I only have seven days. I've done zero research other than just now glancing at an ancient Lonely Planet guide, so....I've determined that with only a week, it's ridiculous to try to move around the countryside of Chiapas with a couple of nights here, a few there, etc. Seems to make more sense to just hang out it SCdlC (sorry, but so much easier), and soak it in, with a few possible day trips. Going in early May. So I have questions. First and foremost...

1. Can anyone recommend moderately priced accomodations in San Cristobal? It's only me and I don't need fancy. Just well located near the touristy stuff, clean, hot water, reasonably comfortable bed, etc. I assume the main, highly photographed "Andador" is ground zero for the tourist scene, so I would guess I'd like to be within a short walk of there, but not necessarily right on it.

(And thank you Brigette for the earlier tip on heading to the Collectivo stand to get to SCdlC from the Tuxtla airport.)
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

San Cristóbal de las Casas questions... Empty Re: San Cristóbal de las Casas questions...

Post by CanuckBob Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:22 pm

I found it best to just arrive and work a deal when you are there. We found a place right on the main street near the plaza for $250 mxn per night. Ask Brigitte if she will give you a tour if she is there.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

San Cristóbal de las Casas questions... Empty Re: San Cristóbal de las Casas questions...

Post by Rosa Venus Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:49 pm

CanuckBob wrote:I found it best to just arrive and work a deal when you are there. We found a place right on the main street near the plaza for $250 mxn per night. Ask Brigitte if she will give you a tour if she is there.

Yes, thanks. I've used that approach many times. I'm not really looking to make a reservation, just looking for a couple of recommendations in case the "hunt and peck" method turns into a pain, or the flight is delayed, or whatever. Always good to have a fall-back plan.

And I would love to meet Brigitte if she's willing and our paths cross!
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:06 am

She should would be able to drag you off into the hinterlands, if she was willing. 
I don't think she has any fear of going anywhere....could be exciting.
Notify next of kin!  LOL
Be sure to take her and Bubba to BurgerKing.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:01 am

haha Slainte.

I did what you're going to do, Rosa. Only had a little over a week and never got to Palenque or the river or those things I wanted to do. Will return for all that.

I stayed in centro, we walked all around SC, and took day trips to Chamula, Zinacantan, Aguatenango, and another village I can't remember the name of. Our guide was awesome! His name was Alex Aranda but he has moved and is now guiding Mayan trips on the Yucatan. Ask around for guides, there are many and get around to the villages safely and respectfully. Do not even think of photographing people without permission and under no circumstances in the church in San Juan Chamula.

Some of the guides form their groups in the morning in the main plaza or the church plaza in San Cris.

Hanging with Brigitte would be the best. Brigitte: Rosa Venus is very cool and fun and you would enjoy spending time with Rosa! Plus, Rosa speaks Spanish. I can recommend Rosa! lol
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:02 am

Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the hotel. Maybe Brigitte can remember the name as she knew where we were staying.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:06 am

I didn't find the food amazing and be careful what you eat there. The Maya have different hygiene practices than we do.

Maybe others can recommend restaurants. The shopping is award-winning!
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:44 am

Rosa, I posted some info on my trip there.

http://www.insidelakeside.com/t15314-san-cristobol-de-las-casas-chiapas
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:22 am

Thanks for the link. I was looking at that thread yesterday. Nice pics! And thanks for the recommendation Trailrunner. jajajaja.

What's with all the Burger King talk? Is there something special about that one? Or is it just the fact that there's one there?
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:25 am

Its just that its there............jajaja.

CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:40 am

Rosa Venus wrote:Thanks for the link. I was looking at that thread yesterday. Nice pics! And thanks for the recommendation Trailrunner. jajajaja.

What's with all the Burger King talk? Is there something special about that one? Or is it just the fact that there's one there?

Bubba (Brigitte's esposo) used to carry on at great length about the joys of having a Burger King there......and I think it is just the fact that it's there (but not here). Very Happy

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:06 pm

Welcome to CHiapas we tried to get back several times with our car and could not do it because it seems that various groups managed to close the roads when we tried too get out. Wednesday we made it to Tabasco but the police told us to go back home or stay in Coatzcoalco as there were no way to get through. Since it was 104 high humidity and we had no water we decided to go home so after a 6h drive we found ourselves back in San Cristobal.
We bought a ticket for my husband to go out the next day and he went out to the airport which was great as it was the only day without problems. On Friday the problems started again this time with the Maestros. Saturday and today seem to be ok although I really do not know since I have not listen to the radio but thre has been lots of conflicts and the roads have been more closed than open...When I know people in the municipality someone usually sends me a message to warn me but not always..The neighbors come to me now to find o out if thre will be problem which is pretty scary since, I do not have connections with the maestros so that leaves a big gap on my network...

I am trying to wrap up many things before I leave probably end of the first week of May.. I have to set up a bunch of classes in an indigenous community so if Rosa Venus is interested she can join me but she may prefer hanging around in San Cristobal depending on what her interests are.

I pretty much go to a different indigenous community every day so if she has interst she can tag along.

I eat indigenous food every day and I have yet to get sick but if you join tours and eat ithe food they prepare for the tourists it is another story. My husband got sick on tortillas in Zinacantan..what should tell you something..

The burger king is a welcome change to the food I eat down hre, you can only have so much caldo de pollo..especially the one done with the free range chicken. I finally got everyone trained to give me almost no meat, the caldo is delicious but the old free range chicken is tough on the teeth..

Rosa Venus I ll email you my cell phone number and feel free to call me when you get in. I am often in areas where there is no signal so the best way to get me is at night or early in the morning or with whatsapp which usually works better than the phone..

There are several new restaurants since the time you came Trailrunner and some are very good..but restaurants here come and go so you never know..Again that makes Burger King a staple...

The hotel where Bobps stayed is the San Martin pn the Real de Guadalupe andador.

There is a cute one called Axkan not the arte , the other one that is reasonnable and attrative but it is 4 or 5 blocks from the plaza if that makes any difference.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:49 pm

Rosa the 2 andadores are point zero for the whole town not just the tourists, it is where I meet most locals I want to talk to and it is the same for everyone else.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:51 pm

Jaja.......Rosa is a guy, Brigitte. A very nice guy too!! You will like him.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:32 pm

I think I know who he is a blond with a bull terrier no?

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:48 pm

Good the more guys the merrier...

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:05 pm

So much for anonymity. jajajaja!

Thanks for all the info Brigette. I would definitely be interested in tagging along with you on a trip to whatever villages you need to visit if it works out to your convenience. I'm sure it would be fascinating. But I know you're very busy, so only if it works out with your schedule. I also got your pm and will reply in more detail there. Thanks. I appreciate it!
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:15 pm

I will be going places, where who knows, maybe the jungle as I have to speak with some Lancandones and their phones are just not working or thay have no batteries..who knows but I have not been able to get them so that maybe my last trip..Hope you do not ming dirt roads or mountain roads..

I was braging about the weather toon soon we are having a hail storm...her we go for another 10 months..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:58 pm

When you live in Ajijic, the biggest adventure you have is navigating the Superlake parking lot.

This trip is about getting away from that and experiencing something different. I'm not afraid of a little weather, or mountain roads. Very Happy
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:17 pm

Rosa Venus wrote:So much for anonymity. jajajaja!

No kidding! jajaja
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down