INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rip offs

+20
windrider17
solajijic
Clueless
gringal
Zedinmexico
elevator
arbon
Stu
Playaboy
Lady Otter Latté
Tony_In_Mexico
Hensley
slainte39
borderreiver
suegarn
RVGRINGO
Smartalex
Rosa Venus
CanuckBob
oncesubtle
24 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Rip offs - Page 2 Empty Re: Rip offs

Post by Lady Otter Latté Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:22 am

"Great if you can afford to pay the gringo price. Not all of us can. There can be quite a discrepancy depending on where you're at." -- Tony

"... the problems were resolved and I couldn't tell you if they are ongoing.
<...> "If I see it now (which I haven't in some time) I'd call them on it." -- Tony

Your first quote creates a different picture that the second one does.

Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:58 am

Quick question Tony. Since food is a large part of everyone's budget where would you recommend shopping for the best prices? tx!
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:30 am

oncesubtle wrote: Quick question Tony. Since food is a large part of everyone's budget where would you recommend shopping for the best prices? tx!
Someplace where you don't see signs like;(Piñas 15 pesos la bola) next to a sign that says (Pineapples 25 pesos each)?

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:34 am

oncesubtle wrote: Quick question Tony. Since food is a large part of everyone's budget where would you recommend shopping for the best prices? tx!

¿Would food be 25% of most peoples budget?...(a large part)
arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Humour

Back to top Go down

Rip offs - Page 2 Empty LOL, that is a tax imposed on Gringos not sharp enough to learn a little Spanish..

Post by elevator Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:40 am

and why not IMO.

elevator
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:52 am

A large part of people's budget is what they consider a large part of their budget.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:08 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote:A large part of people's budget is what they consider a large part of their budget.

¿Does that work when you bargain for your supper at number four?

arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:12 pm

Arbon, your response is a false equivalency. Restaurants set the prices of their meals. I eat there or I do not. Still I must eat. So, I set my budget for the food I buy to prepare at home.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:08 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote:Arbon, your response is a false equivalency. Restaurants set the prices of their meals. I eat there or I do not. Still I must eat. So, I set my budget for the food I buy to prepare at home.

So when the price of chicken increases ¿do you buy less chicken to stay within your budget or increase your budget to buy the same amount?

One shopping list may include a certain type of meat or (protein), while another may depend on what's on special (Budget) at that time.
arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:13 pm

arbon wrote:

After the hard costs like rent, electricity, gas, cable, etc. I'd say the money left over for food would be a large part of everyone's budget. And it's about the only place one can scrimp and spend the extra time looking for the best prices. Like Tony said, "... it's not like they can't afford chicken, it's that they can't afford chicken as often." But I see what you're saying and I should have asked, "Since food is such an important part of everyone's budget where would you recommend shopping for the best prices?" So I apologize arbon, next time I will try my best to be more exacting for those who have trouble connecting the dots or just want to split hairs.
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:25 pm

Arbon, your comparison was wrong. No matter how much palaver you spout after the fact, my original post still stands.
"A large part of people's budget is what they consider a large part of their budget."
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:32 pm

oncesubtle wrote:
arbon wrote:

After the hard costs like rent, electricity, gas, cable, etc. I'd say the money left over for food would be a large part of everyone's budget. And it's about the only place one can scrimp and spend the extra time looking for the best prices. Like Tony said, "... it's not like they can't afford chicken, it's that they can't afford chicken as often." But I see what you're saying and I should have asked, "Since food is such an important part of everyone's budget where would you recommend shopping for the best prices?" So I apologize arbon, next time I will try my best to be more exacting for those who have trouble connecting the dots or just like to split hairs.

A budget is all about numbers not words, "Rip offs" are about words not numbers.

arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:45 pm

Okay.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony_In_Mexico Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:49 pm

When I first got here, I had savings and I shopped where I felt comfortable. That meant I bought everything at Walmart. Staples, meat, produce, everything. Then the savings ran out and I realized I had to make some big changes. Now, once a month I go to Sorianas for the things I can't get elsewhere (like mayo) and I buy all my produce and meats and what staples I can from the Chapala mercado. I'd probably being doing myself a service if I shopped at the tienges, but it would mean grabbing a cab, the cost of which I would have to weigh against any potential savings. I might also benefit from occasional visits to someplace like Costco, but again, lack of transportation makes that impossible. I can't afford to go out to eat, except for Sundays at the Legion for burgers, which I often can do only twice a month. The large part of my monthly budget definitely goes towards food even still.

Tony_In_Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Consistantly misunderstood

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:47 pm

Tony_In_Mexico wrote:When I first got here, I had savings and I shopped where I felt comfortable.  That meant I bought everything at Walmart.  Staples, meat, produce, everything.  Then the savings ran out and I realized I had to make some big changes.  Now, once a month I go to Sorianas for the things I can't get elsewhere (like mayo) and I buy all my produce and meats and what staples I can from the Chapala mercado.  I'd probably being doing myself a service if I shopped at the tienges, but it would mean grabbing a cab, the cost of which I would have to weigh against any potential savings.  I might also benefit from occasional visits to someplace like Costco, but again, lack of transportation makes that impossible.  I can't afford to go out to eat, except for Sundays at the Legion for burgers, which I often can do only twice a month.  The large part of my monthly budget definitely goes towards food even still.

Tony, if you want things from Costco, you don't even need a card. There are two different services that have a website listing all the items you can order through them. Once you order, they deliver to your door in the next few days, and charge a fee which is far less than what it would cost to drive there. Fee based on size of order. Check out Lakeside Express and/or Cynthia Ornelas.
Buying in bulk from Costco saves quite a bit on the food budget, in my experience.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:17 am

If you live on cash flow only you don't have the money to buy the 75 lb jar of mayo/whatever at Costco even if it would save you money. It takes money to save money.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:31 am

Zedinmexico wrote:If you live on cash flow only you don't have the money to buy the 75 lb jar of mayo/whatever at Costco even if it would save you money. It takes money to save money.

On the other hand, it does save money to buy a kilo or two of ground beef or chicken, separate it into smaller packages and freeze it, so let's not get silly about it, eh? Rolling Eyes

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Clueless Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:46 am

This thread wasn't about saving money, etc. it was at the start about being ripped off lakeside.

High prices are not rip offs; rip offs are shortchanging you; false weights, week old sale price stickers left on shelves when the regular price is only found on checkout.

What is needed, IMO, (and NO!!!!, I'm not doing one) would be a site where people finding rip offs could post the information with anonymity. I'll bet if that happened, some of the businesses would change their tactics.

Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by solajijic Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:01 am

Ripoff - in Ajijic on the Carreterra in front of the Pemex for fruits and vegetables. The woman sells them at whatever price she thinks you can pay. One day and what I would consider a fair price to me but I know what the going rate is and I parked past her on the lateral in a small car. Same day husband in our van but he is male...she sold tohim at a increased price. Me next day in my fancy car...waay high price quoted, when refused she would not budge even when reminded I had bought from her day before.

solajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : "I a, a practical woman. Sentiment only takes one so far. At some point, practicality must enter the room."

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:51 am

Clueless wrote:

What is needed, IMO, (and NO!!!!, I'm not doing one) would be a site where people finding rip offs could post the information with anonymity. I'll bet if that happened, some of the businesses would change their tactics.

It already exists,(apestan.com).
Clueless,as the former record holder in California for the most frivolous law suits filed by an individual,it must be difficult for you here in Mexico where that sort of nonsense doesn't fly.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Clueless Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:27 pm

viajero wrote:
Clueless wrote:

It already exists,(apestan.com).
Clueless,as the former record holder in California for the most frivolous law suits filed by an individual, .

Viejaro: Show me any court finding or any other government order of my alleged record, and I will pay you US$4,000.00.

And I'll up it to US$5,000.00 if you will agree that if you can't find it you will put your $$ where your mouth is and pay me $5,000 Pesos.

And I'll even give you a head-start: Google "California vexatious litigant list."

Attorney Spencer can be the stakeholder.

You get 90-days to put up or  -- -  (as the expression goes).

No offense amigo; just some friendly good natured bantering between us. Right.

Moderator: Please do not remove this post; IMO, it doesn't belong in the Octagon and it's not being malicious. I feel it's a fair offer.
Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:53 pm

Clueless wrote:

And I'll even give you a head-start: Google "California vexatious litigant list."
Thanks,but googling,  (Valley man becomes legal legend for prolific plaintiff Latimes) provides plenty of information.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by solajijic Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:51 pm

As forum communities didn't we go thru this litigious stuff 7 or 8 years ago with Clueless and wasn't some Star Trek stuff fluttering around him too.  It is just important to read his posts and remember that he is just "a little bit out there".

It's what makes here so fun, everybody is the sum of their past and for those of us who had rather restricted exposure to diversity we are thoroughly entertained and educated.

solajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : "I a, a practical woman. Sentiment only takes one so far. At some point, practicality must enter the room."

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:09 pm

Try this link:
http://articles.latimes.com/1996-07-07/news/mn-21943_1_legal-profession

You can donate any money to the local animal shelter.
lol!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Clueless Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:22 pm

viajero wrote:
Clueless wrote:

Thanks,but googling,  (Valley man becomes legal legend for prolific plaintiff Latimes) provides plenty of information.

Viajero: That story doesn't support what you said, so no $$.

But if you ever want, I'll buy you a beer and tell you my life story. Sort of like a short history of time.

At least I wasn't accused of murdering my wife and dragged back NOB as happened to someone a few years ago.

Me? I won't take the Fifth Amendment; I'll just stand with John 8:7.

Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by windrider17 Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:25 pm

More than accused and dragged NOB. Convicted and currently serving time.

windrider17
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Warped

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next