INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Returning a Car to Canada

4 posters

Go down

Returning a Car to Canada Empty Returning a Car to Canada

Post by SunFan Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:41 am

Looks like I've run out of options....

We have a Canadian built 2008 model year car that apparently can't be nationalized until possibly next year.

My wife, the owner, becomes Permanante in October of this year. I'm already Permanante.

Seems that the only real option other than driving it off the Ajijic pier is to drive it back to Ontario and sell it and fly home. It's a low mileage Acura so I don't want to just give it away.

Questions?

Am I likely to be able to add a rider to the cars existing Mexican insurance policy to cover us while the car is in transit through the Sates and for a short while in Canada? Is there a separate US or Canadian insurance company issued policy available?

What about licensing and ownership? The plates are Ontario 2011. We have letters from Aduna acknowledging we've extended the TIP each time her Visa was extended. Will US and Canadian Customs and Police recognize that as acceptable proof of ownership?

Has anyone had this experience lately and could advise?

TIA

SunFan
SunFan
SunFan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : None....no I'm joking.

Back to top Go down

Returning a Car to Canada Empty Re: Returning a Car to Canada

Post by DaveP Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:18 am

I know Qualitas policies cover while in US and Canada. I thought 2008 cars were ok for nationalisation this year. Is the Accura Japanese?
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : A little English

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:38 am

Could you park/store it until next year and buy a second, not expensive Mexican plated second car.  Save the trip to Canada and then, still have your primary good vehicle.
I guess it depends on how much highway driving you do and hoping the laws for nationalization don't change.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by SunFan Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:55 pm

DaveP wrote: I thought 2008 cars were ok for nationalisation this year. Is the Accura Japanese?

2008 cars as a 7 year old vehicle should have qualified for nationalization last November but guess what.....they changed the rules. Only 2006/7 cars are now being handled.

The car is NAFTA compliant. Built in Cambridge Ontario.

SunFan
SunFan
SunFan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : None....no I'm joking.

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:02 pm

I think that your only valid proof of ownership is whatever Ontario issued. You stated that the plates are 2011, so it appears that they have not been renewed. As such, I would stop immediately in Texas and find the nearest Department of Motor Vehicles office and ask for a transit permit; probably a paper plate good for 30 days.
Yes, your Mexican insurance agent should be able to provide short term insurance for the trip through USA & Canada. Then Ontario rules apply.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down