INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DVD Screen/Monitor

5 posters

Go down

DVD Screen/Monitor Empty DVD Screen/Monitor

Post by Trailrunner Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:53 pm

Is it possible to buy a screen to hook a dvd player to that isn't also a tv, computer. or a dvd player? Just a stand-alone screen?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

DVD Screen/Monitor Empty Re: DVD Screen/Monitor

Post by CanuckBob Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:45 pm

You can buy a flat screen computer monitor.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:54 pm

It will accept the red, white, and yellow cables?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:35 am

Some do these days and some don't.  Analog is going away.  Red is right audio, white is left audio, and yellow is analog video.  Newer screens tend to not have Analog or Component and want you to use HDMI as it makes Hollywood happy as HDMI has security built into it that prevents copying and such. Check that the plug you need is on the monitor you are buying especially if a bargain. Seeing newer TVs without analog audio in which makes it hard to hook up to older devices like VCR that don't have the newer HDMI plugs.  

Computer monitors may work fine hooked up to DVD player but many monitors don't have sound so you would have to add a set of computer speakers or you could have just bought a TV in the first place. Not much cost difference between computer flat screen and TV flat screen so you might as well get a TV that has a tuner in it for hooking up to cable for example.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:53 am

Thanks for weighing in on this, Z!
Hmm, don't see an HDMI option on the DVD player, guess analog it is - it does have the small round pronged receptor though. I agree with your conclusion, but hate to have to buy another TV AND another DVD player to be compatible since I don't watch TV or subscribe to a service.
All I want is a larger flat screen to watch DVDs on - with sound of course. Any other ideas? Seems like there would be a market for this.
Thanks again for your detailed answer, appreciate it.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:11 pm

No problem buying TV with Analog input jacks. Just don't ASSUME all TV have these anymore. TV will give you speakers, computer monitor may or may not. Buy a TV and hook your old analog output Y,R,W
DVD player up to it. They make a lot of TVs, a real lot, so hard to beat the value of a TV.

options

Shop for a used 32/42 inch flatscreen TV. It will have analog inputs and be cheap and simple.

An AIO computer with 23/25 screen and optical drive (DVD, blu ray) build in. Expensive and complicated but it allows downloads, read mail, etc etc etc

Other ideas folks??

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:21 pm

Get a computer monitor that has DVI input and a DVD player that has HDMI output and buy a DVI to HDMI cable.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:47 pm

Thanks, Intercasa, a bit complicated and many new parts to buy when I really only need a larger screen.

Z, I'm really liking your first option! Thanks again for your detailed input, muy amable, the 'problem' might be solved.

Open to other options, though, if anyone else has any. Somebody should make a big screen monitor with speakers adaptable to computers, TVs, and DVDs without all the other stuff (computer and TV).
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:01 pm

You can get just a TV monitor. Up north I had a Toshiba 42" plasma monitor. It did not have a TV tuner built into it. You needed to hook it to a cable box, satellite box or DVD player. It accepted every form of input you can think of. RCA jacks, HDMI, S-Video, Cable, etc.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:17 pm

Aha, so they are made. What do you call them, TV monitors? Who might sell them here? Mmm, probably Best Buy . . . What do they run, CB, do you remember?

Thanks for the info.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:48 pm

Well you may be disappointed to hear that they are virtually the same cost as a regular TV. The tuner part is very inexpensive so doesn't add hardly anything to the bottom line. Many of the "TV's" you see for sale in Walmart and such, are actually just monitors. I don't think many manufacturers are putting tuners in them anymore with the advent of cable and satellite boxes. It really depends on what size you want. There appears to be a few good deals at Walmart so check them out first.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:04 pm

I did not know all that! Thanks CB and Z, much appreciated.

Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mattoleriver Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:22 pm

Zedinmexico wrote:...Not much cost difference between computer flat screen and TV flat screen so you might as well get a TV that has a tuner in it for hooking up to cable for example.
Z
I think Zed nailed it. A few questions to help clear things a bit:

1) How valuable (to you) is your DVD player, would you consider switching to one that is a little more flexible in how it can be connected to a monitor?

2) How big of a monitor do you hope to use?

3) If connecting to a TV were your cheapest and easiest option would you then consider using a TV as your monitor?

My thinking is that you will probably find that a TV is your cheapest and easiest option especially if you're looking for a size much larger than typical computer monitors. Finding a TV with the connections that you have specified may be a problem and that is when you may want to upgrade your DVD player to something with more connection options.
mattoleriver
mattoleriver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:51 pm

Thanks Mattoleriver. I think the problem is solved. A friend, and IL poster, PM'd an offer for their TV that should be just what I'm looking for. . .Zed's first option.
Thanks all, I am now well informed.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down