INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Importing a US registered vehicle permanent or temporary

+8
Playaboy
RickS
RVGRINGO
sambrit10
islandiver
Intercasa
slainte39
DaveP
12 posters

Go down

Importing a US registered vehicle permanent or temporary Empty Importing a US registered vehicle permanent or temporary

Post by DaveP Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:29 pm

http://www.theyucatantimes.com/2015/01/important-update-on-us-cbp-requirements-for-bringing-us-titled-cars-into-mexico/

Spencer, any comments?
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : A little English

Back to top Go down

Importing a US registered vehicle permanent or temporary Empty Re: Importing a US registered vehicle permanent or temporary

Post by slainte39 Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:36 pm

It is ironic and maybe not so ironic that Sonia/John would make the first comment in that section at the bottom of the article.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Importing a US registered vehicle permanent or temporary Empty Re: Importing a US registered vehicle permanent or temporary

Post by Intercasa Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:36 pm

I am not sure what to say, it appears to be proper, I have some questions over interpretations of certain words but I will need to make a written request for a ruling and do not have time to do so right now as I have no pending cases on this issue. Fines seem to be minor, relatively speaking so some may risk it although for permanent importations it is best to comply to not run afoul of laws in two countries.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by islandiver Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:54 pm

Americans can only temporarily import a qualified vehicle into Canada.

Until they become permanent residents of Canada, and they can reverse the process, to remove the vehicle.

islandiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sambrit10 Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:38 pm

I'm a little confused. Does this even apply to people with TIPs? Or just when you want to nationalize the car?

sambrit10
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:42 pm

It may apply to both. definitely seems to apply to people that nationalize but what about someone who drives down without the intention of staying long term and now their Datsun B210 will not make it back?
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:55 am

I guess that is when he buys a Mexican plated vehicle capable of towing another vehicle back north. Trailer hitch and towbar or dolly required.
Maybe that is a new business opportunity for someone: Taking out the trashed vehicles.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Playaboy Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:35 am

I will buy those old USA Datsun's 210's, 310's, 510's or Toyota Corolla's, Corona's, and Celica's.  Anybody have those old Mazda's with the rotory engine?

Playaboy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RickS Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:50 pm

So playaboy, you would 'imitate' the armada of older cars being towed, seen within the southern US headed south to the Mexican border, driven by Mexican Nationals with intent to sell for profit SOB.....except you would be the gringo Permanente within Mexico headed NORTH to do the same NOB?  Never thought I would see the day.....

BTW.... owned one of those 310's in the 70s until someone in a Mach 1 Mustang decided to T-bone me one day.
RickS
RickS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Importing a US registered vehicle permanent or temporary Empty Sell me your 60's and 70's Datsun's and Toyota's

Post by Playaboy Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:51 am

Rick, I have been buying cars and taking them north for over a year.  You have too.  We aren't doing this for charity.  I guess we are the first Admirals of the armada north.

My longtime Mexican friends can't believe I am doing this. It makes them laugh (there is a little ethnic humor included).

I learned to drive a manual tranny in a 73 Celica  ST, my dad had one of the early Celica Supra's, I owned an 80 Corona hatchback, I had an Mazda RX3 with the rotary engine.  My girlfriend at the time (the 70's) had a Datsun 1600 roaster and a 510.  

Spencer, I loved those early Celica's I saw in La Jolla.

I have my eyes on a 88 Corolla with less than 100,000 miles.  I would love to get my hands on that one.

I will buy most early Japanese cars I can find for the right price.

Playaboy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:24 am

Old Datsun 510's will fetch a good price NOB. These cars are excellent for tricking out. Finding them without rust is the hard part.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by tictoc Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:59 pm

Importing a US registered vehicle permanent or temporary <a href=Importing a US registered vehicle permanent or temporary Img_2010" />

Here is my '74 GT. Unfortunately, it looks like she will need to stay NOB for a while... :(

tictoc
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ezzie Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:59 am

Importing a US registered vehicle permanent or temporary Targa011

Nice GT.  Too bad you can't bring it down here.  Here is a pic of my '73 510 - it's "tricked out" just a little bit!!.  Pic taken at the Targa Newfoundland Rally in 2006, me driving and one of my sons as co-driver.

"Latin American" spec. versions of the 510's were manufactured here in Mexico under license to Nissan at the time so that is why you still see a few of them on the roads here.  Mexico produced only 2 versions, the "wagon" similar to the NOB versions and a 4-door sedan with solid rear axle instead of the IRS versions we got NOB. The IRS versions of the 2-door and 4-door cars were one of the favourites for modification at the time and saw heavy use in circuit racing and rallying in their era.

Ezzie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Aka "El Grillo"

Back to top Go down

Post by Playaboy Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:33 am

FYI,

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-japanese-car-collectors-20140523-story.html

I see lots of old cars on the roads in Mexico.  I know the legal way to import into Mexico, now I have to learn the legal way to import into the USA

Playaboy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by tictoc Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:44 pm

@ Ezzie, nice 510. Do you have that SOB?
Ya, the trailer is filling up fast. There is still a small chance I will be able to fit her but right now, I'm about two feet short of being able too. She is pretty tricked out as well (at least by 1974 standards). If you are familiar with Celica's, to start, she has a newly rebuilt 18RG. She is 99% factory specs/ period correct.
So is there a market for me to find a first Gen Celica SOB?
@DaveP, sorry for the thread jack #carguys...

tictoc
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:21 am

Tictoc. Don't worry, it's interesting

Last edited by DaveP on Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:23 am; edited 1 time in total
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:23 am

Playaboy wrote:FYI,

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-japanese-car-collectors-20140523-story.html

I see lots of old cars on the roads in Mexico.  I know the legal way to import into Mexico, now I have to learn the legal way to import into the USA

That should be covered off in the NAFTA agrrement
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Playaboy Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:40 am

DaveP wrote:

I am hoping there is a classic car exemption. Cars over a certain age kind of thing. I will speak with an agent at the border the next time I go north. They know the ropes.

I don't think you will find many old Toyota's south of the border but there are Datsun's.

Playaboy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:22 am

i have an interest in 60's fiat 850 coupes and have found them for sale here on various sites.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:23 am

Playaboy wrote:
DaveP wrote:

I am hoping there is a classic car exemption.  Cars over a certain age kind of thing.  I will speak with an agent at the border the next time I go north. They know the ropes.

I don't think you will find many old Toyota's south of the border but there are Datsun's.
can you find out about antique motos too-por favor
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down