INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Auto parts in Guad? Where to go

+3
jrm30655
David
solajijic
7 posters

Go down

Auto parts in Guad?  Where to go Empty Auto parts in Guad? Where to go

Post by solajijic Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:13 pm

I would like some help in located a big battery store in Guadalajara. This is what I want - or something similar -
Exide Edge FP-AGML5/49 Flat Plate AGM Sealed Automotive Battery

I am on my own for couple weeks so specific directions are necessary. Locally the price is ranging from $280US to $345 US and the dealer is $410US so I thought a bigger metro area with more demand might have a lower price. I also realize being on my own asking might be resulting a a higher price.

Any clue when the new auto parts distributor places open?

Thanks.

solajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : "I a, a practical woman. Sentiment only takes one so far. At some point, practicality must enter the room."

Back to top Go down

Auto parts in Guad?  Where to go Empty Re: Auto parts in Guad? Where to go

Post by David Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:17 pm

Why not ask one of the local mechanics?  BTW, there is an Auto Zone on Av. Vallarta just past Gallerias.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by jrm30655 Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:18 pm

solajijic wrote:I would like some help in located a big battery store in Guadalajara. This is what I want - or something similar -
Exide Edge FP-AGML5/49 Flat Plate AGM Sealed Automotive Battery

I am on my own for couple weeks so specific directions are necessary.  Locally the price is ranging from $280US to $345 US and the dealer is $410US so I thought a bigger metro area with more demand might have a lower price.  I also realize being on my own asking might be resulting a a higher price.

Any clue when the new auto parts distributor places open?

The best place I've found is the battery place just south of Soriana, same side, just at the end of their parking lot. Probably cheaper there than a big store in Guad

Thanks.

jrm30655
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ezzie Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:05 pm

Autozone and Costco carry the only "sealed" lead-acid auto batteries I have seen so far - the "Optima" brand made by Johnson Controls (USA) but they are spiral wound, not flat plate. The "red" top is for auto, the "yellow" for deep cycle and the "blue" for marine. Apparently LTH (Mexican) have some "deep-cycle" batteries but I don't know what technology they use and have not heard very good reports on their normal car batteries.

Ezzie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Aka "El Grillo"

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:32 pm

What I know about car batteries you could stick in a flashlight, but....

I need some accessories so have been keeping an eye on the newly-arriving Auto Parts Megastores. Orma (the one in Riberas across from Mom's) had a truck offloading stuff into the store about a week ago. Truck was pretty empty so don't know if it was in-store infrastructure, or inventory. Still, it can't be too long, can it? ¡Proximamente!

Orma Auto Partes

Also, there's an (older? smallish?) Autozone on Lopez Mateos, just south of the periferico, same side as the "newer" Costco. I know I saw batteries there, what they had I have no idea.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:31 am

They also have/had auto batteries at Walmart. I bought one there for my van a year or so ago.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:04 am

AGM means Absorbent Glass matt and the trade name for the most popular brand is Optima as someone posted before.  AGM batteries basically replaced Gel batteries which also has no liquid in them.  They have a paste in them and don't tend to outgas or spill liquid like normal car batteries.  AGM batteries come in auto applications and Deep cycle applications.  Very expensive but very long lived and don't discharge near the rate of a wet battery sitting on the shelf.  I had an original yellow top deep cycle optima which must have been 15 years old and I pulled it out of the garage and put it into a van and it started a V8 after sitting for two years.
Optima have spiral cells while other AGM batteries have flat plates like normal batteries.  I would use a Optima for a high vibration application.  It does cost more.  Once hooked on AGM batteries I don't buy anything else.  Only disadvantage is cost.  I have a large deep cycle AGM battery that I use for emergency lighting and use with a small inverter to charge batteries and such during power failures. No acid/water to spill. Much lower discharge rate sitting on a shelf or in a car for long periods of time and virtually no outgassing unless something is wrong or you overcharge the battery. AGM batteries are investments that pay over time. My opinion is wet batteries are obsolete and dangerous in some situations like charging or car accident.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:15 am

Ezzie wrote:Autozone and Costco carry the only "sealed" lead-acid auto batteries I have seen so far - the "Optima" brand made by Johnson Controls (USA) but they are spiral wound, not flat plate.  The "red" top is for auto, the "yellow" for deep cycle and the "blue" for marine.  Apparently LTH (Mexican) have some "deep-cycle" batteries but I don't know what technology they use and have not heard very good reports on their normal car batteries.  

While most deep cycle batteries should not be used for high draw amperage situations like starting a car Optima yellow tops can be used for both applications. Many big car stereo are powered by yellow top optima while also powering the starting motor. This is not true of may normal RV type deep cycle batteries unless very large. RV deep cycle batteries don't like high draw applications as a rule like a starter motor and normal car batteries don't like to be run all the way down like many RV/offgrid situations. Use the right battery for the right situation and treat your batteries with respect and they will last a long time.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down