INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

putting new 'plaster' (cement finish) on top of another finish just completed

3 posters

Go down

putting new 'plaster' (cement finish) on top of another finish just completed Empty putting new 'plaster' (cement finish) on top of another finish just completed

Post by Sherman Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:08 am

I had a contractor in here who just went wild with putting the 'rustico' finish on the house ..... (it's the very rough thrown finish with more pockets than you can imagine and a painting nightmare!!).

It's been done for about a month. There's no primer or sealer applied, just the initial application of the cement.

Can I put a new, smoother, finish on top of that 'other' new finish? Or do I have to scrap off the recently applied 'rustico' finish??

Anyone have any experience with this?
Comments, thoughts and otherwise?

Thanks ....

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Great sense of Humor!! I live here!!

Back to top Go down

putting new 'plaster' (cement finish) on top of another finish just completed Empty Re: putting new 'plaster' (cement finish) on top of another finish just completed

Post by CanuckBob Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:22 am

If you want it to last you need to scrap it off. I had the same finish on a few walls and they scraped it off down to the bricks and put on the smooth finish.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

putting new 'plaster' (cement finish) on top of another finish just completed Empty Re: putting new 'plaster' (cement finish) on top of another finish just completed

Post by sparks Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:55 am

If it's clean new cement ... no problem to enjarar over the top of it
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:09 am

Well if you go over top of it I doubt the new contractor will guarantee that it doesn't crack or fall off since he has no idea of the quality of materials the first guy used.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherman Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:28 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Well if you go over top of it I doubt the new contractor will guarantee that it doesn't crack or fall off since he has no idea of the quality of materials the first guy used.

Well, I already know this new (one actually listed on a 'recommended' list on this web board) contractor won't guarantee anything anyway! There have been lots and lots of screw-ups and he's done his best to either cover them up or try and talking me into just passing over XYorZ. To get him to redo the screwed up seal and membrano on the new roof, I hired Brad Grieve to come address the issue with the contractor who was not able to redo it.

I'll double-check what Sparks mentioned and see if it is possible to slap some new stuff on.

Thanks!!

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherman Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:30 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Well if you go over top of it I doubt the new contractor will guarantee that it doesn't crack or fall off since he has no idea of the quality of materials the first guy used.

Bob .... I just reread your post and see that 'new contractor' is referring to a new person, not the guy I just used.

I'll have to get a couple people in here and hear what they have to say!

Thanks ....

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherman Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:35 pm

Today I had another contractor in to discuss how to minimize the rustico effect. As mentioned, this is new and without any sealer or anything else ... just plain old cement.

This contractor suggested marmolina, white cement and sealer to put on the new cement finish to help fill in the holes.

On top of this would go the 'block filler' (from Berel), sealer and then paint.

This 'supposedly' would reduce the amount of rustico and smooth it out enough so that is was bumpy, but more easily painted.

Any experience with this???

Thoughts, comments???

Thanks!

S.

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:15 pm

Marmolina is crushed marble that they will use instead of sand. It provides a smoother finish. That will work although its longevity will really depend on the quality of the cement that is has to stick to. If you figure the first guy used a quality cement and prepped the brick properly then go for it.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherman Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:58 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Marmolina is crushed marble that they will use instead of sand. It provides a smoother finish. That will work although its longevity will really depend on the quality of the cement that is has to stick to. If you figure the first guy used a quality cement and prepped the brick properly then go for it.

The guy that just left ... cement quality (brand and mix) seemed ok from what I saw. But, prep of the bricks .... I'm still laughing.

I will get a couple more people in here and see if there is some type of consensus with the marmolina, white cement sealer mix ... and that may be the way to go.

Thanks!

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:35 am

Marmolina is only a finish type that comes in different grits. It's not going to fill anything. You can mix it with cement or mortar for strength. Depending on how rough the surface is you might as well enjarar a full coat over what you have

Neither Marmolina, white cement or sealer is going to solve the surface of a wall problem. Sounds like BS to me
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherman Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:37 am

Any experience with Berel's block filler .... (it is a 'white' goo, fairly thick and is cut to some limited degree).

I used it last time when the house was painted. It does a good job of filling the cracks rather than using the marmolina mix typically used. And, it adheres better. I have good results with the paint staying on the house ... first time in 7 years.

I was looking at that as a possibility for a filler?

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down