INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Networking Security Cams

4 posters

Go down

Networking Security Cams Empty Networking Security Cams

Post by CHILLIN Fri May 30, 2014 10:05 am

I don't know if this should be moved to "tech" - but I know its an important topic. I have noticed that police security patrols appear to have been discontinued, or cut back, in Chapala Haciendas. Maybe they were not cost or results productive. I read somewhere that the private and Frac owned security cams could be networked - that with the right password, etc., homeowners could bring up specific cameras. Is this true? Is it even possible, or even a good idea? I know in the U.S. the camera and nightvision quadcopters are revolutionizing the private security industry. The drones do the GPS programmed "rounds", and then come back to base for charging. The trouble, of course, is the enforcement. Even with a HD video of suspicious or criminal behavior, I'm sure the police are reluctant to prosecute, or even come out.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Networking Security Cams Empty Re: Networking Security Cams

Post by Chapalagringa Fri May 30, 2014 4:02 pm

I've also noticed that patrols haven't been making their normal rounds, which I thought was kind of silly to swing by at the same time.  They'll come in if people are calling them but I can't remember the last time I called.  

With regards to the cameras, if you have a system that is viewed via internet, then all you would need is the web address and password.  I wouldn't give mine to anyone because I wouldn't like being spied on, like anyone would want to.  We have multiple cameras.  Also, there's an interference with the cameras if one accesses it from another unit.  

At this point in time, the more home owners that have cameras that can review them in a timely manner if there's a problem or deter is most helpful.   Hasn't been much happening since the cameras were installed at the front gates over a year ago.  Especially since the "house was cleaned"(the entire lakeside area in general) a couple of months ago after the La Floresta incident.

We recently switched our cameras to a higher resolution but I don't know anyone that has drone or even government quality cameras at this point.  Our lives are a bit boring for all of that ;0)  They are useful to see what make and model vehicle, whether persons are male or female, which black & white or brown cow, dog, bird or squirrel is passing by.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all natural

Back to top Go down

Post by FMercik Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:44 pm

Hi,
May I ask what brand & model cameras you have?
Have you installed any other security equipment?

Thank you.

Frank Mercik
FMercik
FMercik

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:32 pm

Our cameras came from Costco and they are a Lorex brand. I have never installed anything but a light bulb, batteries and a beater paddle to my Kitchenaid. When you ask about security equipment are you asking what we would recommend as far as a home alarm??
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by FMercik Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:39 pm

Hi again,
Thanks very much for the prompt reply.
I am interested in any security recommendations.
Ex.: Burglar alarms, electric fences, video intercoms, etc...
I was lakeside this past June and liked what I saw and the wonderful people I met - both Mexican & gringo.
I'm returning this coming Jan-Feb with my wife to see what she thinks of the area for our imminent retirement.
However, my wife would probably be heading to Guad. airport if we had any break-ins or burglary.
Thanks again for any information you may have.

Sharon & Frank
FMercik
FMercik

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:24 pm

Welcome to the forum Sharon or Frank? :)  Boy, if we could guarantee there would never be a break in by a level of security...I had been a great advocate of the gated communities but not anymore.  There were incidents not spoken of online in the different gated communities.  People get over walls and fences.  We don't want to create fear by chatting about this topic but be realistic.  I'm a huge home security advocate and many people feel they are somewhat on their own down here.  Our home is very secure, in my opinion and other people wouldn't be comfortable living in the area we live in.  I'm a very sensitive person, siding on the paranoid side(with reason) and admit it, but in time I do overcome each scare and fortunately, no one else in the family is like me :)  Just so you know that I'm very sensitive, aware and love living here!!!!

We live in the hills outside the village of Chapala.  I live in the frame of mind that there are potential problems and try to avoid them. In my opinion, there isn't one area that is safer than the next from Chapala to Ajijic.  Others will have their opinion of San Juan Cosala to Jocotepec, I have some opinion but haven't lived there.  There are people in all areas that live without incident and many opinions about degrees of security. Security is a very personal matter.  Each one needs to do what they feel comfortable with.  We have lived in our home for over 4 years without incident.  We lived in the village and had a break in and we learned from our mistakes.  It's important to get used to home security like security for a car.  We get used to it and it's not any big deal.  I have personally driven by many homes and talked with home owners and renters that had an incident and I know that my home is more secure than there's were when they had problems.  Doing that helped me to realize that the threat was much lower for us because we have been proactive about home security. It isn't fool proof but practical; sleeping and living well makes it all worth it.

Our home defense is layered. Our home isn't visible from the road. High rock wall 9-10 ft with razor wire and thorney vines growing through. Metal electric gates that double fold out so they cannot be pushed open from outside.  If the power were cut, it'd be a royal pain to get any door open.  We know from experience.  The walk thru gate has a high security lock camera intercom.  It is not a flimsy lock that people say are "punched" out.  

Next layer of defense are two police/military trained personal protection guard dogs(ppd).  My dog can attack an armed man in a car.   I can't recommend a work dog or ppd more.  If I couldn't have anything, I'd want a ppd.  They're wonderful companions and they know what to do if you're in trouble.    

We have LED flood lighting, decorative bars, especially important for windows and doors left open.  They need to be welded to the house not screwed in or they may be pulled off. 

Inside we have two alarmists, they're ankle biters.  The arm biters stay outside, they are NEVER tied up or confined, how then can they protect us.  I'm talking about dogs.  

We have the security cameras and are able to check the house while away from any computer or smart cell phone with internet.  

I sleep with a charged cell phone programed for the Chapala police on my nightstand.  It's recommended to keep a air boat horn if you can bring one from the states and or a can of Raid, even the alarm on your car being accessible from your key chain could be helpful.  You could install cheap window alarms that are battery operated and will call you or a friend if broken into.  Some homes have a high level security system with battery backup that will give an electric jolt that could potential kill a person if cut.  They have sirens that are deafening.  

My feeling is that if we're home, I want a warning.  If we aren't home, we've done the best we can and that's it.  Some people have guns, some people have machetes and pipes inside.  Some people lock their bedroom doors with extra locks.  You do what you need to do to feel comfortable.  We've got the whole gamete here and know one will complain about keeping people OUT of their stuff and protecting their lives! Very Happy  Then you have a neighbor down the road that has high walls, can't see his house from the road and that's it, never had an incident.  PM Jim Wilson if you'd like to buy his house.  

Do tuck away valuables in places that aren't normal and don't tell ANYONE, unless it's a family member or a person who will be responsible if something happens to you.  Some homes have a safe.  DO NOT let anyone know you have one of those...scary, that alone can make you a target.  Even if you only keep papers in it that are important to you and no one else.  Homes have been robbed and those things were crowed out of cement!  Not worth it.   Do not use your bedroom to hide things.  If your home were touched, the bedroom is one room completely torn apart inside out.  Forget it.  Some people have special furniture but if that were hauled off what good would it be?   If you ever talk to people that had a break in while they went to the store for less than an hour and ask what rooms were destroy and think about it.  I tell those people that whatever area wasn't messed up, that's where you have to hide your stuff.  Whatever you do, someone will say it's not fool proof lol  Make sure your home isn't the home with the least amount of security and where ever you look whether renting or buying, look at the other homes in the area and whoever has the most amount of security, at least have that much security built into your home.   It's proven, in general, that if you have several homes, the home easiest to get into will be targeted.  

You can do the other obvious things, a timer for lights, leaving the tv or radio on while away. We also have a very good Neighborhood Watch Group available online. If you don't have one, form one.

There are several of us that I believe lived through the worst of times here a few years ago.  Thank God, we that stayed are still here and loving it!!!  Times have changed globally and I'm content we live in Chapala.  If you were my parents, these are the things I tell them and they've been here and they understand completely.  When they come to visit us, they feel very safe, obviously!
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by FMercik Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:02 pm

Hi Chapalagringa,
Thank you very, very much for the excellent information and taking the time to write it. I am in your debt.
Dinner's on us when we come down.  Thumbs up
Were your dogs trained or obtained from Wolf's Canine School in Guad.?
Thanks again,

Sharon & Frank
FMercik
FMercik

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:16 pm

You are very welcome.  I may save that comment and paste it if asked again, it's a long response but I tried to be thorough.  Very Happy

We bought the dogs as puppies from private parties.  I was so concerned about being able to train my dog, he's a big handsome European boxer. I boarded him for a month and then I was trained how to be his handler along with my husband and his rotty.  We took the dogs to school faithfully for about a year.  Boarding wasn't necessary but I didn't know then what I know now.  My dog was always the exemplarily dog as he is very obedient but I don't recommend the European Boxer because not all of them are able to do what my dog was fortunately trained to do. The dogs are tested at the school to figure out what their capacity is and not all dogs are able to do it. They have to be very obedient.

Wolfs sells the puppies and trained dogs.  They are much more affordable here than in the states to either buy trained or train yourself.  Those malinois are super sharp dogs the learn incredibly fast.  The rottweiler too is a great work dog.  Ours is so loving and instinctively protective.  She'll let us know if there's a scorpion outside.    The entire time we were taking the classes, they were full of Mexicans training their guard dogs but only one expat couple in Jocotepec came with their pinchers.  They'd been there before too and they agreed how wonderful the school and dogs are.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:00 am

Bought 400line cameras wish I had paid for the higher resolution cameras.  Added a couple higher ones and they have much more detail in picture.  Happy with 8 camera Costco units. Came with four camera and added four more.  In three years one power adapter broke replaced with generic 12V unit.  Bought extra Cameras and extention cords in US from Fry's Electronics.  Different model sold these days but same brand. It does the job for a decent price and is extra easy to use. Networking is easy. Just follow instructions in booklet manual.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by FMercik Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:14 am

Hi Zed,
Thanks for the information.
FMercik
FMercik