INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LCS Library

+8
gringal
slainte39
elehne1
Axixic
JayBear
Zedinmexico
arbon
CHILLIN
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

LCS Library - Page 2 Empty Re: LCS Library

Post by gringal Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:52 pm

They have a pretty good selection of hard cover books for sale, cheap, at the LCS book sales room next to the office.

I'm an avid reader and like both kinds of books. Ereaders are great if you're going on a vacation and don't want to lug the heavy bag with the hardcovers in it. At that point it's Hurray for Kindle!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:36 pm

Gringal:

Your point lacks a certain political correctness! Think of all the trees being killed and how that contributes to global warming.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:58 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Gringal:

Your point lacks a certain political correctness!  Think of all the trees being killed and how that contributes to global warming.

You're right. I'll think about it when I'm using chopsticks, toothpicks, and noticing the pile of paper generated in the "paperless offices" of today.
 lol! 

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:54 am

viajero wrote:
Zedinmexico wrote:
viajero wrote:With e-books so readily available is the LCS library even relevent anymore?

You may be hip and aware but many folks are not.  LCS is very relevant to many folks who do not want or possess technology.
Please don't assume knowledge. I deal with these folks everyday believe me they don't have the knowledge and also for the most part do not
want to learn something new and they are all on Yahoo laugh out loud. I also prefer books to any electronic reader at this point in my life.
Zed,if you want to limit your reading to whatever printed books you can find at Lakeside,that's your problem and if those folks can access and navigate Yahoo they should'nt have a problem down loading an e-book,I'm a complete computer dummy and that hasn't stopped me.

You grossly overestimate the skills of some of our members. I am not kidding. Many folks do not know what logging on means for example.
You know much more than you think Viajero! Watch the folks on the computer in the reading room that LCS supplies to its members. I use
to think we should get rid of it as it is a support nightmare and all folks have computers right? Well they don't and I was wrong thinking everybody has and can use technology.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:58 am

gringal wrote:They have a pretty good selection of hard cover books for sale, cheap, at the LCS book sales room next to the office.

I'm an avid reader and like both kinds of books.  Ereaders are great if you're going  on a vacation and don't want to lug the heavy bag with the hardcovers in it. At that point it's Hurray for Kindle!

We actually have more fiction books for sale than we have ever had!   Now if I could get a volunteer to put the books in alphabetic order my day would be complete.  Hardbacks 10P, Paperbacks 7.  Thanks for the commercial!  Jigsaw puzzles and magazines on exchange basis one for one.
Money goes to the Library (yes I checked it does laugh out loud).

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:07 am

gringal wrote:
CheenaGringo wrote:Gringal:

Your point lacks a certain political correctness!  Think of all the trees being killed and how that contributes to global warming.

You're right.  I'll think about it when I'm using chopsticks, toothpicks, and noticing the pile of paper generated in the "paperless offices" of today.
  lol! 

Nothing green about Computer Disk Drive farms that supply you the bits going to your kindle. They are starting to build them in cold places to keep the aircon costs down. All those disk drives spinning uses a ton of electricity. Also books can be made from a high percentage of recycled materials and passed on to others. Yes I admit future is e-readers but e is not perfectly green. Lets hope for solid state memory in the size of large hardrives in ten years or so which should help to make all this green by lowering electrical costs and heat output from current disk drive technology. It would be interesting to see the green costs of books versus e-books.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:27 am

Zed, I shudder to think about that green issue. You are pointing out something that I've noticed as we wander into the magic world of replacing everything old with new technology.  We could have a long thread on how much more convenient thievery is (witness Target's recent disaster); how much privacy we have lost and a whole passel of other reasons to lean toward Luddite-ism.  It would be somewhat useless to go there, however.  We are stuck with a future that science fiction writers have predicted long ago, complete with its very unfortunate downsides.

As you have observed, there is a whole generation of elders who are not ready and/or able to embrace this brave new world.  We can dismiss their needs since they won't be around much longer.....or we can treat them with consideration and understanding.  Our choice, but it's too late for many of them to change.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:38 am

Please Zed - maybe in the "techie" world, sarcasm doesn't exist but I would be willing to bet that Gringal is educated enough and smart enough to have recognized it in my comments?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:40 am

CheenaGringo wrote:Please Zed - maybe in the "techie" world, sarcasm doesn't exist but I would be willing to bet that Gringal is educated enough and smart enough to have recognized it in my comments?

I think Gringal can speak for herself and by golly she did. She got my point and I have no idea what your point is.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:58 am

Speaking for myself (ahem): Yes, I recognized that Cheena had his tongue firmly in his cheek, and IMO there's nothing wrong with treating some hopeless truths with a light touch.

I also recognized that Zed was making a valid point in his serious post.

I enjoy both of your postings since you're both very smart fellows with something to say worth saying, though in very different ways.  It's a good thing we all are different, or it would be a dull world, and one boring web board.  Since CBOB cleaned it up and got rid of the mean spirited, pointless and sometimes gross stuff, it's been enjoyable to banter away, either seriously or in fun.

Meanwhile I celebrate that Irony is alive and well on here.
 lol! 

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2