INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to import from the USA

4 posters

Go down

How to import from the USA Empty How to import from the USA

Post by otrocanuck Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:50 pm

I would appreciate any advice about importing a commercial product from the US into Mexico. If anyone has done this already or knows of the procedure needed to do this I would like to hear about your experience, any suggestions or references you can provide. Any freight companies that you would recommend.
otrocanuck
otrocanuck
Share Holder
Share Holder

Location : Mississauga, Point Claire, Edmonton, Saltspring Isl., Nakusp,Chapala,

Back to top Go down

How to import from the USA Empty Re: How to import from the USA

Post by CanuckBob Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:24 am

If it is commercial products I would recommend using a broker such as Kuehn & Nagel or Schenkers. They can also line up transportation. It can all be done yourself but if things go off the rails it can get messy.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Playaboy Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:33 am

If the dollar amount imported is over $2000 (I believe), you must use a broker.

Playaboy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MR PEANUT Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:24 pm

I've done it, and it's a huge boondoggle. Get some good advice, and don't try to do it yourself.

There are many companies that specialize in "contract importation," and can do the many steps more efficiently, especially if you're not going to import large quantities of one item that never changes.

Everything you import must meet the relevant NOM(S) - a set of standards akin to a UL Listing - so the product has to be inspected at a government approved laboratory and given a certificate. Any change in the product (even a different color, or new label) will force a new approval and certificate before it will be allowed into the country.

It's not impossible, of course, just overly complicated and expensive. Exactly which parts of the import laws apply in a particular case can be a bit fluid, depending on were you are and what the product is (not unlike local interpretation the immigration laws).

The advice "use a broker" is spot-on, and a good way to get started. You could also find one of the service companies that specialize in US imports and ask their advice. They have an axe to grind, of course, but knowing that will give you perspective.

MR PEANUT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down