INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welding Supplies

3 posters

Go down

Welding Supplies Empty Welding Supplies

Post by Ezzie Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:54 am

Can anyone recommend a place in Chapala (or Lakeside) that has a good selection of welding rod? I need some small 6013 to use with an AC transformer welder? May also need some more wheels for a 4-1/2" angle grinder.

Ezzie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Aka "El Grillo"

Back to top Go down

Welding Supplies Empty Re: Welding Supplies

Post by Ezzie Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:33 pm

Judging by the response, not too many welders on here. Went on a mission this morning and asked a few acero suppliers. Found a good selection at "Aceros Murillo" which is in Riberas across the carretera from S&S Auto.

Ezzie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:04 pm

I was going to say just ask any metal or body shop. Glad you found some.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Ezzie Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:09 pm

Thanks Bob. Now all I have to do is brush up on my skills. It's been about 20 years since I last used an AC stick welder.

Ezzie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Sam Thelin Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:45 am

Ezzie wrote:Can anyone recommend a place in Chapala (or Lakeside) that has a good selection of welding rod?  I need some small 6013 to use with an AC transformer welder?  May also need some more wheels for a 4-1/2" angle grinder.
I buy mine in GDL from Infra on Av. Dr. Michel http://www.infra.com.mx/servicio_atencion/directorio_sucursales/jalisco/guadalajara.html  The front that faces Av. Dr. Michel is all oxygen supplies, but they have a very extensive welding supply store on the side street (gas, arc, and MIG). There is an Infra in Jocotepec, but do not know if it sells welding supplies, or just oxygen.

I am glad you found some. Otherwise I usually have a few rods  - both basic and for 304/316 alloy. Always keep a few cutting wheels too. Bought them at the hardware store west of immigration on Hidalgo in Chapala, but I think they are common in most hardware stores.

Dr. Sam Thelin
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ezzie Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:11 am

Thanks Dr. Sam. I'll keep that in mind when I need more supplies. The rod I got at Aceros Murillo works very well to use for lighter gauge mild steel with a low powered AC welder. It is from ESAB and called "Super 13". It is what they gave me when I asked for 6013. I did some research into this rod and it is a relatively new product/formulation. It has been designed specifically for use in Latin America to achieve decent results with low end welding equipment. Very easy to strike an arc at low currents and low penetration which works best on sheet metals or light structural tubing.

Ezzie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Sam Thelin Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:29 am

I will try that rod next time I buy more. Anything that works well with less power will be better for domestic work here. Not so much because of having low-powered welders as it is having houses wired poorly. Same end result though.

Dr. Sam Thelin
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ezzie Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:34 am

Yes, you can do decent welds with this stuff at 100A so a 120V AC welder should suffice. Not many houses are wired for 230V/50A to accommodate a typical NOB AC welder.

Ezzie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down