INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fire at the Ranch

+5
MyHomeSweetHome
Dr. Sam Thelin
Lady Otter Latté
kipissippi
itsme
9 posters

Go down

Fire at the Ranch Empty Fire at the Ranch

Post by itsme Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:58 am

Just received this email:

Hola everyone,

Yesterday afternoon there was a big fire from the Libremiento going west and north. I was called by Edgardo, he stated he drove by and thought the ranch was burning. Gudrun and I drove up to check it and found the firemen from Ixtlauacan on the job.

The ranch was part of the hundreds of acres that burned. The smoke was extremely intense. Gudrun and I climbed over the gates and checked the dogs, when we had gotten there it was very quiet, and we were very afraid of what we would find, but they were all OK. The dogs towards the casita were affected the most. Their eyes and throats suffered from the smoke, (we know as ours did and we weren't in the worst of it).

The fire burned from the road up to the "drive", burned the entire BBQ area and went up behind the casita and down past the swings all the way to where the road splits by the tree. There were men and women volunteers using buckets to fight the fire behind the casita. It apparently started at the Libramiento and just traveled willy nilly. When finished at the ranch, the firemen went further up the road to fight the fire there. Thankfully no animals were hurt that we know of anyway. We don't know about the feral cats and the rabbits, etc.

Gudrun and I went back up around 7:00 to ensure there were no flare ups, (we did the same about 3 yrs ago and it had started up again), and traveled the back roads a bit. We were astounded by the amount of land which had been involved, one doesn't see much from the bypass.

We are so happy that Carlos had the telephone number of the Ixtlauacan fire department, he was unable to get Chapala for some reason.

I apologize for not getting to you sooner, I thought about it yesterday afternoon but really was not up to it. I stank of smoke, my car still does, my eyes were burning, and I had to get my thoughts together. I also did not have the patience to fight with my laptop. The only thing I did do was call a few people who I thought might have seen the smoke or heard about it from friends and let them know the dogs are OK.

Manna

Those poor dogs, they must have been so terrorfied. I do not know if they have to replace any of their property such as hoses, food, whatever. I think I will stop at HandyMail on my way to LCS this morning and leave a donation.

itsme
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Fire at the Ranch Empty Re: Fire at the Ranch

Post by kipissippi Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:14 am

SOOOO glad no dogs were injured. Sounds like it was a very close call.
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:56 am

They are going to need some extra donations to repair and replace. I hope people will think of helping out.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Sam Thelin Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:01 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote:They are going to need some extra donations to repair and replace. I hope people will think of helping out.

I agree.
Manna's idea of leaving a donation at Handy Mail is good.

Hours: 8am to 6pm Monday through Friday, and 9am until 2pm on Saturday.

Location: Carratera Chapala-Jocotepec # 159-C, San Antonio Tlayacapan (one block EAST of SuperLake, on the same side of the road).

Google could not find Handy Mail, but bere is SuperLake for reference.
Fire at the Ranch Hm10

Dr. Sam Thelin
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MyHomeSweetHome Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:35 pm

As we drove out to Guadalajara yesterday afternoon, I looked back and the wall of smoke looked as if the fire would engulf Brisas de Chapala in it's entirety. I get concerned for mud slides during the rainy season after fires like this but hopefully that will not happen...at least it cleans things up for new growth.

Monday, I went to buy berries, around the 3 p.m. hour and near the school, on the libramiento, I could see a huge wall of flames heading towards the school as the wind blew in that direction. Someone in SAT said that it was the 2nd time someone had set fire to that area. He said they dump trash up there and the next morning, early, set fire to it and then it gets out of hand but that the fires are purposely being set.(not wanted either) When I returned, about 30 min later, I could only see smoldering.

So what kind of ranch was burning yesterday? I've driven up there once a few years ago and found goats. Everything is so dry right now...dry dry dry.

MyHomeSweetHome
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Traveller Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:15 pm

It's the Lakeside Spay and Neuter Ranch. It's not a Western plains ranch with cowboys and cattle. There are always lots of lovely dogs waiting for adoption. They've got nice big pens to play around in, regular meals, and vet care when necessary. Not a bad place to be, but not like having a "real" home.
http://www.lakesidespayandneutercenter.com/
Traveller
Traveller
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MyHomeSweetHome Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:17 pm

I always thought it was out towards Vista de Lago...had no idea it was behind Brisas de Chapala. You'd think someone would quickly pick up Nikki, Rex and Sam!

MyHomeSweetHome
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:05 am

Lucky Dog Center is out towards Vista del Lago, another great place to find really good dogs.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Fire at the Ranch Empty Help for the ranch needed

Post by itsme Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:44 pm

I was just speaking with a friend who stated the Ranch has lost its ability to pump water due to the destruction of the equipment. As there is a good possibility they will be forced to buy trucks of water, they really, really need the help of the community. I told her I would post this and she said someone will be posting pictures of the damage and a bit more detail as well as a request for help. All donations will be accepted at HandyMail.

Oh, and if you have been considering getting a dog, now would be the time to adopt one. You can call 766-3813, 766-2214 or 331-604-0044 if you would like someone to meet you and take you to the ranch. An alternative would be to visit them in front of PetCare in Riberas on Saturday the 20th where they will be holding an Adoption Day.

I am sure the dogs send their thanks.

itsme
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:59 pm

The generator used for pumping water to water dogs, wash their pens and dishes, and sometimes the dogs themselves, was destroyed in the fire. It will cost several hundred dollars to replace. This is the most urgent need, along with money for possible Vet bills.

Other items that would be appreciated:

Shovels
Rakes
Wheelbarrow
Garden hoses - heavy duty
Towels
Blankets
Dog Shampoo
Heavy leashes and collars for big dogs
Dog Food
Bleach for cleaning
Generator

All items can be dropped off at HandyMail, which is located in San Antonio, in the block between SuperLake and Mailboxes, and also at PetCare, which is just west of Cafe Magana in Riberas.

There is PayPal information on the website, http://www.lakesidespayandneutercenter.com.

Money can also be left at HandyMail.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:42 pm

Thanks, Flamingo, for the info. Poor Gudrun. I'll bring some pesos over to Handy Mail tomorrow and see if I can dig up some of the things that are listed.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by miendo Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:44 am

Photos and paypay links are now posted on the Ranch Website. http://lakesidespayandneutercenter.com/fire.html
miendo
miendo

Humor : Plenty

http://www.AjijicNews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:11 am

Any of you who have been to The Ranch know how very close the fire came to the dog runs. Very frightening.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:59 pm

We will be holding our Doggy Adoption Day next Saturday, 20 April at PetCare. More details to follow. If you, or someone you know, are considering adding a 4-legged companion to your family, please stop by.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down