INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Renewing you Canadian Passport from Abroad

+7
rvanparys
SunshineyDay
Jerlyn
Canmex 87
Kiri
ComputerGuy
ferret
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Renewing you Canadian Passport from Abroad Empty Renewing you Canadian Passport from Abroad

Post by ferret Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:28 pm

We have renewed our Canadian Passports three times while living in Mexico. Before, it was a PITA...this is the NEW simplified version and has made the process remarkably easy IF you qualify.
http://www.pptc.gc.ca/form/pdfs/pptc482.pdf

1) Our forms are filled out and printed
2) Passport Pictures at Foto Luz in Chapala 765-5765...between Lopez Cotilla and Degollado on Madero.
3) Cashier's cheque made out to EMBAJADA DE CANADA. This can be done at Bancomer IF you have an account there...we did not so we had somebody get it for us who did have an account...gave them the money to do it. If you're renewing TWO passports get ONE cashier's cheque for the total amount since there is a charge for each cheque.
4) Courier to the Canadian Embassy in Mexico City...you MUST include a return courier envelope to your home address IF you want to receive your passports.

It just doesn't get any easier than this.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Renewing you Canadian Passport from Abroad Empty Re: Renewing you Canadian Passport from Abroad

Post by ComputerGuy Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:56 pm

You know I like you, ferret, but I have to say I've done mine twice and my Mom's twice in the last nine years, and 'twas ever thus. And don't forget there must be a stamp on the back with the studio, and a signature from a public figure.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Renewing you Canadian Passport from Abroad Empty Re: Renewing you Canadian Passport from Abroad

Post by ferret Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:01 am

Sorry Helper Guy but this IS new. You don't need a Guarantor on the back of the photo any more nor the signature of any Guarantor anywhere on the document.
Now, you only have to send your old passport with the document. Before, we had to send birth certificates and, for me, my citizenship card as well as the old passports. It used to freak me out being without the originals of such important documents.
A thing of the past for us...I like it.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:29 am

That IS new. Thanks for letting us know. Have they extended it to 10 years yet?
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:36 am

The 10 year passports are not being rolled out until June in Canada. I would imagine that they would be available from Abroad shortly after that. We didn't want to wait...or, as my Hubby put it..."Don't think I have ten years left in me anyway...why waste the money."
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:37 am

LOL. Yes, priorities do change.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:49 pm

Received our new passports today via DHL...three weeks from start to finish. I was looking forward to seeing the brand spankin' new passport with a lot of Canadian history sprinkled throughout...looks just like the old ones except the picture has now been digitized. :( ...not bad as passport photos go...or maybe my eyes are just gettin' worse. :)
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiri Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:10 am

ferret wrote:We have renewed our Canadian Passports three times while living in Mexico. Before, it was a PITA...this is the NEW simplified version and has made the process remarkably easy IF you qualify.
http://www.pptc.gc.ca/form/pdfs/pptc482.pdf

1) Our forms are filled out and printed
2) Passport Pictures at Foto Luz in Chapala 765-5765...between Lopez Cotilla and Degollado on Madero.
3) Cashier's cheque made out to EMBAJADA DE CANADA. This can be done at Bancomer IF you have an account there...we did not so we had somebody get it for us who did have an account...gave them the money to do it. If you're renewing TWO passports get ONE cashier's cheque for the total amount since there is a charge for each cheque.
4) Courier to the Canadian Embassy in Mexico City...you MUST include a return courier envelope to your home address IF you want to receive your passports.

It just doesn't get any easier than this.
Has any of the above changed as of 2018?
TIA
Kiri
Kiri
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:46 am

YES1 You can now renew your Canadian Passport at Tio Corps which is on the highway just above Mirasol. Just got my brand spankin' new 10 year Canadian Passport. It was even easier than my original post and absolutely painless... they sent it, they received it and then phoned me to pick it up. Fabulous service!
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Canmex 87 Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:22 pm

What was Tio Corp's service fee?

Canmex 87
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:51 pm

Can't remember but you can call them and ask. You may also want to go to iMail and ask what the charge is for two courier envelopes to/from Mexico City... and add an aggravation charge to it. I remember thinking that Tio Corps was the bargoon of the century.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiri Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:21 pm

Canmex 87 wrote:What was Tio Corp's service fee?

1150 pesos, too rich for me for the convenience of mailing an application.

The cost includes courier service to the Canadian Embassy’s in Mexico City and courier service to return the passports to our offices for you to pick up.
Kiri
Kiri
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:27 pm

You cannot MAIL your application for a Passport. It must be sent by courier with a return self addressed courier envelope in with the application. So, I say again, go and check with iMail as to what TWO couriered envelopes cost.

ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiri Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:48 pm

ferret wrote:You cannot MAIL your application for a Passport. It must be sent by courier with a return self addressed courier envelope in with the application. So, I say again, go and check with iMail as to what TWO couriered envelopes cost.

Yes, I will tally the courier costs. Would never imagine using the postal service.
Kiri
Kiri
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerlyn Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:28 am

Pretty sure when I did mine last year the imail charges were close to 1000 pesos, that and I went in to Guadalajara, thinking I could submit them there, probably would have been cheaper to use Tio

Jerlyn

Humor : Sometimes I get it ... sometimes :)

Back to top Go down

Post by SunshineyDay Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:25 am

Do they do US passport renewal?

SunshineyDay
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by rvanparys Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:12 am

US passports can be handled at LCS or the American Legion Post 7 on counselor visit days.

rvanparys
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiri Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:40 am

Kiri wrote:
ferret wrote:You cannot MAIL your application for a Passport. It must be sent by courier with a return self addressed courier envelope in with the application. So, I say again, go and check with iMail as to what TWO couriered envelopes cost.

Yes, I will tally the courier costs. Would never imagine using the postal service.

DHL Both ways return included 740 pesos
Estafeta  Both ways return included 540 pesos
Kiri
Kiri
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:10 am

Whatever way works for you. Do let us know how it works out.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:32 am

Forgot to add that, at TioCorp, you can pay both the passport fee and their fee with a credit card. I used my Canadian TD Visa card.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ezzie Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:43 pm

You can use a credit card to pay it as well instead of a cashier's cheque. There is a form for that on the web site that you fill out with your info and sign it - enclose with renewal application.

Ezzie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Aka "El Grillo"

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiri Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:23 am

ferret wrote:Whatever way works for you. Do let us know how it works out.

Took 14 days to return completed with a new passport for 10 years. Saved $, due to no extra charges and one shipment for multiple passports. Minutes on the computer to complete.
Kiri
Kiri
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by SunshineyDay Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:06 pm

So does Tio Corp do US passports?

SunshineyDay
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by cypress Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:27 pm

I renewed mine through the embassy in Mexico City in 2013. At that time the rule was that you can only do it once that way. When the 10 years was up they said the renewal had to be done in Canada. Is that still the case?

cypress
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:39 pm

I have never heard that before. Do you have a source?

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next