INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scorpion stings

+10
Lehrer
eñe
lucky
gringomojado
simpsca
bimini6
espíritu del lago
elgringo
David
CanuckBob
14 posters

Go down

Scorpion stings Empty Scorpion stings

Post by CanuckBob Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:44 pm

Can a scorpion sting kill a small dog or cat?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Scorpion stings Empty Re: Scorpion stings

Post by David Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:14 pm

Cats usually kill them before they're stung. It can be a problem for a dog, probablly depends on the weight of the dog. I've not heard of it being fatal to a dog, but I don't really know.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:33 pm

Perhaps the dogs know to stay away from them?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by elgringo Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:49 am

i had my little yorkie here and he was scared to death while he was here. I talked to the vet and she said animals can smell the scorpions. The vet gave me a shot to take home in case the dog was stung. she said if he was stung to give him the shot and come straight to the vet, that as small as he was (3.5 lb) that a sting might kill him
elgringo
elgringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : lots

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:22 am

My small dog, both could find them in the dark or daylight. I was saved from stepping on a millapede also. Both barked and warned. Scorpion stings Icon_biggrin
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by bimini6 Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:41 am

All known scorpion species possess venom and use it primarily to kill or paralyze their prey so that it can be eaten; in general it is fast-acting, allowing for effective prey capture. It is also used as a defense against predators. The venom is a mixture of compounds (neurotoxins, enzyme inhibitors, etc.) each not only causing a different effect, but possibly also targeting a specific animal. Each compound is made and stored in a pair of glandular sacs, and is released in a quantity regulated by the scorpion itself. Of the 1000+ known species of scorpion, only 25 have venom that is dangerous to humans or larger house animals; all belong to the family Buthidae.[7][26]

bimini6
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : always! It is good for the soul

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:54 am

I had one occasion when I still had my two elderly cats and my new dog when I found them all staring at something on the floor - it was a scorpion. The dog was growling. Usually the cats would play with critters like mice and baby snakes until they were dead. For some reason they sat and stared and didn't touch it until Mom killed it and cleaned it up.

I was stung by a scorpion and had the neurotoxin reaction. My throat started to close up and my face felt paralized, really bad reaction - not to mention the stings hurt something awful for a week. I went to a doctor who gave me a shot of something but it didn't help. I am sure that much neurotoxin could have killed one of my animals, but the seemed to know not to touch it.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Scorpion stings Empty sting

Post by gringomojado Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:44 pm

Fear the snakes more for the pets than scorpions in Jalisco.

gm

gringomojado
gringomojado
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lucky Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:01 am

don't know about pets and scorpions. my cat steers clear of them. however, one of the guys working on my roof a month or so ago got stung and he asked me for bleach and a paper towel. he drenched the bite site with the bleach and wrapped it with the paper towel and went back to work. anybody else heard about this remedy?

when i first moved down here, my housekeeper told me that for scorpion stings you need lime and tequila. she said put the lime juice on the bite and drink the tequila. (sounds much more civilized to me than clorox.)

lucky
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:25 am

I have something I bought here but you don't often see it called "After Bite", for any insect sting. It's supposed to counter the protein that is in the venom and I can tell you it works on bee stings. I looked at the package and it contains ammonia. I guess that neutralizes the venom.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by eñe Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:53 pm

Eeeeew! Just looking at these boogers makes me cringe... if one of 'em gives me the "tail" (the scorpion's equivalent of "the finger") it's not long for this world. S-Q-U-I-S-H. I've got some capsules called "Avapena" that are an antihistamine to counteract the sting, but a friend who has been stung twice advises: Her first sting, she elected to "tough it out"... it hurt like &^%$! for over a week. Her second sting, she fled to Clinica Maskaras and got a shot. For her, the injection (whatever it was) took the pain level down considerably, and rapidly. I guess this does not work for everyone, though. UGH!

eñe
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:03 pm

The OP was asking about dogs & cats.

I don't know about dogs, but I suspect a scorpion sting would not kill a dog. From what I've seen, dogs avoid them anyhow and won't be stung.

My cat, however, loves to tease scorpions! Plays around with them until they sting themselves to death!

Shortly after arriving Lakeside, the cat was taken to the vet for a routine checkup involving watering eyes and salivating. The vet opened the cat's mouth to check things out and fished out what was left of a scorpion: the stinger!

This cat had apparently eaten the scorpion and suffered no sting, no side effects.

I've watched him paw at a scorpion until the scorpion was no longer a part of the living world. So I don't worry about the pets as much as I worry about my wife or me -- stepping on one in the dark!

Scorpion stings Icon_eek
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Scorpion stings Empty Scorpion stings

Post by simpsca Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:34 pm

I know this is about cats and dogs, but the last poster said he was worried about his wife stepping on one. Well check your towels in the bathroom also. Somehow one got inside my bath towel and I got out of the shower, grabbed the towel and dried my back with a towel containing a scorpion. Stings all over my back. I couldn't see the scorpion without my glasses. I now check towels before I get in the shower with my glasses on. The stings hurt for weeks and I also got the neuro side effects even though I got some kind of shot at the doctors. I don't know what he gave me but I don't think it did much.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:26 am

Wife was stung by scorpion a couple days ago, once on finger, twice on her ankle, while in bed. By noon her leg had numbed to the knee. Our Housekeeper gave her a large raw garlic clove, to eat, followed by a large glass of milk. The following morning, all pain was gone, no longer numb...the only side issue was itch around the bite, and "Breath that could knock you over"! cheers
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by martygraw Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:11 am

My wife got bit twice on the thigh, very painfull. We gave her first a drink of milk, then an antihystime (Reactine), then applied bleach and held ice on the bite. Took about 12 hrs for the pain to go away.
martygraw
martygraw
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:12 pm

Scorpions, it has been suggested to me, are about as pesky as bees or wasps.... not very pleasant but nothing to get paranoid about either....

Would that be a fair assessment?

Not like those mosquitoes in the Yukon... those damned things have feathers!!
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Scorpion stings Empty Different reactions

Post by simpsca Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:15 pm

There are many kinds of scorpions here and some are worse than others. Having been stung by bees, wasps, and scorpions, I have to say the scorpion sting was the worst. I had a reaction to the neuro toxin and my throat closed up - I couldn't swallow for several hours. And the muscles in my face were paralyzed. The pain of the stings lasted much longer than any wasp or bee stings.

I've been told if you get stung you should try to take the scorpion to the clinic you go to. Supposedly some clinics keep antidotes for several types of scorpions. Someone told me the Ajijic Clinic has the antidote. I don't know how you tell which scorpions are dangerous, but I had to go to see a doctor for a shot since I couldn't swallow for hours.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by islandiver Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:40 pm

simpsca wrote:There are many kinds of scorpions here and some are worse than others. Having been stung by bees, wasps, and scorpions, I have to say the scorpion sting was the worst. I had a reaction to the neuro toxin and my throat closed up - I couldn't swallow for several hours. And the muscles in my face were paralyzed. The pain of the stings lasted much longer than any wasp or bee stings.

I've been told if you get stung you should try to take the scorpion to the clinic you go to. Supposedly some clinics keep antidotes for several types of scorpions. Someone told me the Ajijic Clinic has the antidote. I don't know how you tell which scorpions are dangerous, but I had to go to see a doctor for a shot since I couldn't swallow for hours.

What part of your body were you stung, it is considered important with some stings or allergies.

islandiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:59 pm

I was stung on my middle back. The scorpion was in the towel and I scrubbed my back with it. I look at my towel before drying now:)
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by bimini6 Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:19 am

Making baking soda into a paste and putting it on the site will also help relieve pain quicker.

bimini6
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : always! It is good for the soul

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down