INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting car ignition rekeyed - anti theft device?

+4
CheenaGringo
johninajijic
MexicoPete
Mad_Max
8 posters

Go down

Getting car ignition rekeyed - anti theft device? Empty Getting car ignition rekeyed - anti theft device?

Post by Mad_Max Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:50 pm

My car keys (plus others) have been stolen due to my stupidity - left them in my outside gate lock and were gone within 5 minutes -

Is there anyplace locally where I can get my ignition rekeyed? (plus other locks)

and in the interim, anyone know where I can purchase an anti theft device/wheel lock?
Mad_Max
Mad_Max
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Getting car ignition rekeyed - anti theft device? Empty Re: Getting car ignition rekeyed - anti theft device?

Post by MexicoPete Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:10 pm

I know you can do it at the closest dealer. I know, for example there is a Ford dealership immediately before you get to the Costco, south of Guadalajara on the way North from Joco
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Getting car ignition rekeyed - anti theft device? Empty Re: Getting car ignition rekeyed - anti theft device?

Post by johninajijic Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:47 pm

MexicoPete wrote:I know you can do it at the closest dealer. I know, for example there is a Ford dealership immediately before you get to the Costco, south of Guadalajara on the way North from Joco

And it will cost you 2,000 pesos +. You can have new keys made at the key kiosk just before Coca Cola in San Antonio for 700 pesos.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:22 am

And then all you have is more of the same keys as the crook has!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Phillips Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:20 am

Mad_Max wrote:My car keys (plus others) have been stolen due to my stupidity - left them in my outside gate lock and were gone within 5 minutes - Is there anyplace locally where I can get my ignition rekeyed? (plus other locks) and in the interim, anyone know where I can purchase an anti theft device/wheel lock?
I had that problem a few years ago with my 2003 Pontiac Montana. After trying private key cutters and dealers in Guadalajara and a dealer in Manzanillo I found that it couldn't be done. I had to have the key replaced when I returned to Canada several months later.

The key could be made and it would unlock the vehicle BUT it wouldn't work in the ignition because of the security system.
Bill Phillips
Bill Phillips
Share Holder
Share Holder

Location : Trent Lakes Ont. in the summer - Chula Vista in the winter

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:34 am

It was explained to me that some key systems require a reprogram of the computer to accept the new code for the replacement ignition key system. I disclaim any hard knowledge of these systems. It would seem to me that all the door locks would have to also be changed or else the thief could enter the car at any time?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:38 am

I have a 2001 Montana which also has the security key. It is actually a little magnet in the key head which disengages a pin in the ignition switch when the key is inserted. They made a copy for me at a key shop in Chapala. They had to try a few different magnets in the key before they got the right one.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:19 am

Mad_Max wrote:My car keys (plus others) have been stolen due to my stupidity - left them in my outside gate lock and were gone within 5 minutes -

Is there anyplace locally where I can get my ignition rekeyed? (plus other locks)

and in the interim, anyone know where I can purchase an anti theft device/wheel lock?

Your problem depends on the year of the car and type.

Very old cars you can just go to a junkyard and get a new
set of lock insides and replace. Newer cars have more security
in the keys themselves. The key and the car are electronically
connected. Some newer cars don't have keys they know you
are near the car because of the keyfob in your pocket and so
they let you start the car up. If you make a plain normal copy
of a chipped key it will go in the ignition but it won't turn as the
car needs a signal from the keyfob. You can make a copy of
a chipped key and get in the door but it might also set the alarm
off. Odds are if you have a big plastic thing on the end of the key
you have a chipped car and will have to take it to dealer or a very
special locksmith who has the equipment to deal with the security
measures. As CB said all he needed was a magnet but newer cars
will need electronic measures. Sorry if this is bad news.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:57 am

Zed - Mine for my 1998 Ford Explorer is as you said, with the black thingy at the end. Just below the steering wheel, they plug an instrument in to read the codes when I had it done at the key kiosk before Coca Cola. I was only making a duplicate key.

I guess you would have to change the lofck cylinders completely so thieves couldn't steal your vehicle. A good auto body shop like Junior's in Riberas can do this or I'm sure even Pablo the mechanic in West Ajijic could do it too.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:17 am

Most cars with remotes can be accessed with their key, but the codes embedded in the chip are required to actually start the vehicle. It's an anti-theft failsafe function. This means the vehicle can't be stolen by driving away... but it sure could be stripped inside. When keys are replaced, they have to be programmed together with the vehicle, at the same time.

I've been trying for years to have mine reprogrammed. I worked with the technicians in Guadalajara who do all the dealers. I bought a key online for a spare, but due to the "uniqueness" in Mexico of my Buick, they could not do it. So I have two good keys and a spare that, if I use, will simply shut down the vehicle and sound the alarm when I put it in the ignition.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:29 pm

johninajijic wrote:Zed - Mine for my 1998 Ford Explorer is as you said, with the black thingy at the end. Just below the steering wheel, they plug an instrument in to read the codes when I had it done at the key kiosk before Coca Cola. I was only making a duplicate key.

I guess you would have to change the lofck cylinders completely so thieves couldn't steal your vehicle. A good auto body shop like Junior's in Riberas can do this or I'm sure even Pablo the mechanic in West Ajijic could do it too.

Not so simple in some of the newer designed security oriented keys and locks.
Like I said before it depends on what you got. Seems over time all the solutions
get harder and harder to break. My current 2007 car has a key fob you just keep
in your pocket and you reach to the normal spot on the steering wheel and turn it
on like it had a key. The key is a backup method to start the car. You also have
buttons on the doors that sense your fob in your pocket and opens the door when
you push the button. Takes some getting use to it but you can't hot wire it. Luckily
I doubt if any bad guy wants a Nissan Micra anyhoo. Nothing like driving a chick car
to keep the bad guys away LOL. Looking for a Chivas license plate frame to complete
my stealth car. God help me if it ever breaks LOL but I had the same technology on
my Sentra of the same era and it worked fine as long as you remember to change the
batteries in the Keyfobs.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Phillips Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:09 pm

HelperGuy wrote:Most cars with remotes can be accessed with their key, but the codes embedded in the chip are required to actually start the vehicle. It's an anti-theft failsafe function. This means the vehicle can't be stolen by driving away... but it sure could be stripped inside. When keys are replaced, they have to be programmed together with the vehicle, at the same time.

I've been trying for years to have mine reprogrammed. I worked with the technicians in Guadalajara who do all the dealers. I bought a key online for a spare, but due to the "uniqueness" in Mexico of my Buick, they could not do it. So I have two good keys and a spare that, if I use, will simply shut down the vehicle and sound the alarm when I put it in the ignition.
That was my problem... see my above post....
Bill Phillips
Bill Phillips
Share Holder
Share Holder

Location : Trent Lakes Ont. in the summer - Chula Vista in the winter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad_Max Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:10 pm

I used the locksmith in Chapala today (the one on John's list - see below) - and it did take about 4 hours - I now have two new programmed keys plus one new remote and one existing reprogrammed (for a 2001 nissan). Color me a happy camper. Cost was about 2000 pesos.

JOHN’S LIST OF RECOMMENDED CONTRACTOR’S & SERVICE PERSONS
LOCKSMITH (LOCKS, INSTALLATION & KEYS) ****
CERRAJERIA ARAGON
Morelos # 172 - Chapala
HERIBERTO ARAGON
Tel: 766 3552
Cell ph: 045 333 171 9033
Mad_Max
Mad_Max
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:38 pm

Mad_Max wrote:I used the locksmith in Chapala today (the one on John's list - see below) - and it did take about 4 hours - I now have two new programmed keys plus one new remote and one existing reprogrammed (for a 2001 nissan). Color me a happy camper. Cost was about 2000 pesos.

JOHN’S LIST OF RECOMMENDED CONTRACTOR’S & SERVICE PERSONS
LOCKSMITH (LOCKS, INSTALLATION & KEYS) ****
CERRAJERIA ARAGON
Morelos # 172 - Chapala
HERIBERTO ARAGON
Tel: 766 3552
Cell ph: 045 333 171 9033

Good price. I paid 100$US at Nissan dealership for one key blank not programmed!!!!!

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down