INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BLOOD BANK IN GDL

+8
zenwoodle
brigitte
CanuckBob
little italy
Axixic
simpsca
CheenaGringo
Jim W
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

BLOOD BANK IN GDL Empty BLOOD BANK IN GDL

Post by Jim W Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:41 am

flag waver Contact info for Blood Bank and donor requirement follows: Hopefully will have more info tomorrow.

Jim W

Blood Bank in Guadalajara
To assist you in immediately obtaining blood, we suggest
the following confirmed resource blood bank in Guadalajara.
They have blood available and are able to give transfusions
by Doctor's orders either at their hospital, the patient's hospital,
or the patient's home.
The charges are $3,400 pesos in their hospital
and $3,040 at other locations.
"Country 2000"
Jorge Alvarez de Castillo # 154
333 - 854 - 4500

Mexico's Requirements for
Donating Blood

The basic requirements for donating blood in Mexico:

Be between 18 and 65 years old
Weigh at least 50 kilos
Never have had hepatitis or dengue or other blood diseases
No dental work in the past three (3) months
Not be on any medication
Not have consumed alcohol within 24 hours.
Know your blood type
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

BLOOD BANK IN GDL Empty Re: BLOOD BANK IN GDL

Post by Jim W Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:18 pm

When you read donor list, I am sure will be somewhat of a concern. Mexico is not like NOB when it comes to issues like this. The following list was provided for distribution, and approval of Norm Pifer , VP @ Cruz Roja this morning.

Following are list of potential donors, and Norm Pifer #...should you need help, and the short list of donors available. Should you be in need I would make this my first call. I am still trying to get info from blood bank as to cost per unit....like it really matters if ya need it! The blood bank listed above IS THE ONLY ACCREDITED AND APPROVED BANK In GDL!...according to Cruz ROJA.

The Blood Donor Coordinator is Norm Pifer 376-766-0616

Angels Who Have Offered to be Blood Donors
Name

Telephone #

Blood Type
Bill Wilson (376)765-7047 AB Pos
Serena Stone (376)766-5429 AB Neg
Helena Feldstein (376)766-1364 A Pos
Louise Morel (376)766-2860 A Pos
Diane Pretti (376)766-2655 A Pos
Gabriel Reinhold (376)766-5130 A Pos
Jack Warren (376)765-5565 A Pos
Diana Rowland (376)766-0059
331 412-8286 cell A Neg
Louise Glenn (376)765-6738 O Pos
Jonnie Harker (376)766-1970 O Pos
Donna Jaramillo-Leone (376)765-7736 O Pos
Valerie Jones (376)766-5222 O Pos
Shinji Matsumoto (376)765-7625 O Pos
Diane Pearl (376)766 5683 gallery
(376)766 0051 home O Pos
Tim Whiting (376)765-5061 O Pos
Barbara Wilson (376)765-4047 O Pos
Kathy Swan (376)765-7319 O Neg

Best regards,

Jim W. Very Happy

Last edited by Jim W on Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:36 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : SPELLIN)
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:47 pm

Jim:

Not sure if you have looked into this or not but what about purchasing blood in the US and flying it into Guadalajara. I did some quick research on the cost of a unit NOB and it appears to range from $130 - $200 - $300 depending on location. The Red Cross handles approx 50% and private non-profits (HA!) the other 50%. I am wondering if a supplier could be set up in one or more of the cities with non-stop to GDL? Probably would end up being a great deal more expensive than local sources but it might be covered by private insurance for those that have such. If one needs blood or die, alternative choices might be good.

I have no idea if there are governmental regulations at either end that would make this unworkable.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:01 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Jim:

Not sure if you have looked into this or not but what about purchasing blood in the US and flying it into Guadalajara. I did some quick research on the cost of a unit NOB and it appears to range from $130 - $200 - $300 depending on location. The Red Cross handles approx 50% and private non-profits (HA!) the other 50%. I am wondering if a supplier could be set up in one or more of the cities with non-stop to GDL? Probably would end up being a great deal more expensive than local sources but it might be covered by private insurance for those that have such. If one needs blood or die, alternative choices might be good.

I have no idea if there are governmental regulations at either end that would make this unworkable.

Neil when one is in need....really hard for me.......I hate the fact that when our friends have to fight for blood donation....and in Mexico....have no chance....

Jim W
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:51 pm

Jim:

I am confused by your reply. While Albuquerque wouldn't qualify as being a location on a direct flight route, I would be willing to go down to the Red Cross headquarters to quiz them on the feasibility of setting up something with Red Cross NOB to obtain blood for those in need SOB.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:40 am

Neil, please do....And let us know...I can, understand why people wait in hospitals here for weeks looking for blood.

Thank You,

Jim w
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:42 am

I am confused by your reply. While Albuquerque wouldn't qualify as being a location on a direct flight route, I would be willing to go down to the Red Cross headquarters to quiz them on the feasibility of setting up something with Red Cross NOB to obtain blood for those in need SOB.

Neil, I just spoke with a Friend in GDL.....MD., He says the only real issue for blood donors in Mexico, is for people needing @ IMSS, Hospital Civil, Etc. Apparently, those covered by major medical, i.e., New York, Allianz, etc. seldom have an issue. Smokealot

This is way beyond me.....I don't understand why Cruz Roja doesn't do blood drives in combined effort with GDL Blood Bank they reference on their web page? Beer

Thanks Again,

Jim W
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:32 am

Jim:

That brings up an interesting hurdle to the concept of having blood shipped down from NOB. As I understand your post, people who have IMSS and possibly Seguro Popular are the ones adversely affected by this blood supply conundrum. IF a source could be established, there would have to be an arranged "courier service" to pick up the blood and deliver to a designated airline for delivery to GDL. Because time could be limited (depending on patient condition), there would have to be an account with immediately available funds to pay for such.

In your conversations with the one Blood Bank in Guadalajara - are their blood supplies there exclusively for the use of private doctors/hospitals?

I will see just what I can find out from this end.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:29 pm

That brings up an interesting hurdle to the concept of having blood shipped down from NOB. As I understand your post, people who have IMSS and possibly Seguro Popular are the ones adversely affected by this blood supply conundrum. IF a source could be established, there would have to be an arranged "courier service" to pick up the blood and deliver to a designated airline for delivery to GDL. Because time could be limited (depending on patient condition), there would have to be an account with immediately available funds to pay for such.

In your conversations with the one Blood Bank in Guadalajara - are their blood supplies there exclusively for the use of private doctors/hospitals?

I will see just what I can find out from this end.

Neil, The blood bank is available to ALL with medical MD order. The cost at their facility is 3400 pesos per "UNIT"....they will provide at other medical facilities for 3040 pesos per unit.

Best regards, Jim W Very Happy
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:35 pm

Jim:

Now I am really confused. If blood is available to all at the price of $3040MXN per unit from the approved Blood Bank, then I would think (I know I shouldn't) it would be a matter of raising the money to purchase for those that have relied on IMSS or Seguro Popular. I am guessing that there is no way that an alternative source from NOB would produce a more cost effective solution.

Please correct me if I am wrong but it seems to me that I read somewhere in the past that there are certain blood types that are problematic obtaining from the Hispanic population? If I am correct in that assumption, then maybe alternative supplies might be a viable option.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:33 pm

[quote="CheenaGringo"]Jim:

Now I am really confused. If blood is available to all at the price of $3040MXN per unit from the approved Blood Bank, then I would think (I know I shouldn't) it would be a matter of raising the money to purchase for those that have relied on IMSS or Seguro Popular. I am guessing that there is no way that an alternative source from NOB would produce a more cost effective solution.

Please correct me if I am wrong but it seems to me that I read somewhere in the past that there are certain blood types that are problematic obtaining from the Hispanic population? If I am correct in that assumption, then maybe alternative supplies might be a viable option.[/quot

Neil, You can put me in the"Clueless" category today. Dr. Gustavo, a cutter friend from GDL told me That it is illegal to buy blood from individuals in Mexico......anyone who has information on this please let us know.

As far as blood types in Mexico, O+ = 53%,
A+ =29%, B+ = 9% of Hispanic population......That puts all other blood types in the difficult to find category.

I am not sure Mexico would even allow importation of NOB donors, as the screening/rules are different here. Smokealot

Jim W
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:01 pm

Jim:

I saw your message in another topic and thought that I would respond here. Granted medical protocol can be very different in other countries but it is quite hard for me to believe that Mexico might have more stringent requirements than the US. Granted I could be wrong but I do intend to continue with research and checking into this topic. Who knows what can happen when one asks enough questions? Sometimes playing dumb can produce positive results.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:24 pm

I saw your message in another topic and thought that I would respond here. Granted medical protocol can be very different in other countries but it is quite hard for me to believe that Mexico might have more stringent requirements than the US. Granted I could be wrong but I do intend to continue with research and checking into this topic. Who knows what can happen when one asks enough questions? Sometimes playing dumb can produce positive results.

PLEASE do CG....I am totally frustrated ..........Mexico has more stringent reg's than USA....They require more testing, and will not accept donations from USA
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:40 pm

I understand what you are saying! What gets me is that in Mexico, they expect you to know your particular blood type to be able to donate. Do they take your word for it? That would never happen here NOB! Admittedly I am a neophyte in this realm since I cannot participate because of having had malaria and hepatitis. Neither of those prevent me from trying to work on the problem and maybe finding a solution.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:59 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:I understand what you are saying! What gets me is that in Mexico, they expect you to know your particular blood type to be able to donate. Do they take your word for it? That would never happen here NOB! Admittedly I am a neophyte in this realm since I cannot participate because of having had malaria and hepatitis. Neither of those prevent me from trying to work on the problem and maybe finding a solution.

CG.you are good person...I have no clue how to proceed...just trying to be part of solution
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:13 am

Jim - thanks for all your valuable work on this. I think most lakesiders had no idea there was a blood bank or how to access it. I wonder why their doctors did not know about it? And a question - how did you find out about the blood bank?

But as for donor requirements, I have tried to donate twice and what they are enforcing is under 60 years old, not 65.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:05 pm

simpsca wrote:Jim - thanks for all your valuable work on this. I think most lakesiders had no idea there was a blood bank or how to access it. I wonder why their doctors did not know about it? And a question - how did you find out about the blood bank?

But as for donor requirements, I have tried to donate twice and what they are enforcing is under 60 years old, not 65.

Simpsca....Cruz Roja provided info during our meeting last week. They now have the info about the blood bank posted on their web site. According to Cruz Roja this is the only blood bank in GDL....and very spendy Very Happy The doctors know about it...just cost prohibitive for the uninsured here. I'll check with them about the age issue.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:26 pm

It's a better alternative even though I could see from the price that it is expensive. Probably a lot cheaper than in the US.

And thank you for all your work on this.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:50 pm

Jim:

In doing a bunch of self educating on this topic, I read a number of articles about just how much the price of a unit of blood has gone up due to new testing requirements. While any blood handling operation NOB must be categorized as a non-profit, they have come to the realization that the testing costs have not been being recouped. None of these articles detailed exactly why the costs have risen so much but I would speculate it is more of the medical CYA type thing. I think I posted that prices for a unit might range from $150 to $300. Even at today's exchange rate, that would put the cost from the Guadalajara Blood Bank at the upper range of the scale I quoted from here.

In view of the fact that the Red Cross is one of the primary suppliers of blood when disasters happen around the world, I am wondering if they don't have programs to supply countries with critical issues when they have an on hand excess of certain types of blood? Questions that need to be asked when I get on the phone this week.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:44 pm

In doing a bunch of self educating on this topic, I read a number of articles about just how much the price of a unit of blood has gone up due to new testing requirements. While any blood handling operation NOB must be categorized as a non-profit, they have come to the realization that the testing costs have not been being recouped. None of these articles detailed exactly why the costs have risen so much but I would speculate it is more of the medical CYA type thing. I think I posted that prices for a unit might range from $150 to $300. Even at today's exchange rate, that would put the cost from the Guadalajara Blood Bank at the upper range of the scale I quoted from here.

In view of the fact that the Red Cross is one of the primary suppliers of blood when disasters happen around the world, I am wondering if they don't have programs to supply countries with critical issues when they have an on hand excess of certain types of blood? Questions that need to be asked when I get on the phone this week.

Thanks Neil, When I met with Cruz Roja last week, the director thru my interpreter advised they have plasma only to stabilize, and transport patients to GDL hospital of choice. Personally, I think Cruz Roja should be more proactive here in the area of blood drives, working with the blood bank, and generating more revenue for them. I think Cruz Roja does a great job here with a limited budget, however, redirecting efforts might be worth investigating....including research to set up their own blood bank, servicing GDL and Lakeside

I've been directly involved with 4 people in need over the past 4 years....have found greatest success getting donors here by reaching out to domestic help.....offer 50-100 pesos for every donor they line up and 250-500 to each accepted donor.

Have a great evening Amigo, appreciate your input

Jim W Beer
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:34 pm

GOOD NEWS: State Blood Transfusion Center (CETS) plans to open 16 blood banks in municipalities across Jalisco before the end of 2012. Currently, there is only ONE approved blood bank, and it is located in Guadalajara. Hopefully, Jalisco will make the next big leap soon to blood drives, etc. Approx. 1.3 % of Mexico's population donates blood according to CETS director Blanca Estel Salazar. cheers

Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:08 pm

I've jumped ahead on this thread without thoroughly reading it (I apologise) but I doubt my question has been covered.

As an active gay man, am I allowed to donate blood in Mexico? I can't in Canada.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:13 pm

Axixic wrote:I've jumped ahead on this thread without thoroughly reading it (I apologise) but I doubt my question has been covered.

As an active gay man, am I allowed to donate blood in Mexico? I can't in Canada.

Last I checked No AXIXIC......Please read the entire thread.....blood is a significant issue @ lakeside.....we have gone thru hell lining donors up in Mexico.......not legal for students to sell here either. PM or email for more info Beer
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:15 pm

Okay - no problem - that was actually the answer I expected.

Prior to my "realization" I was actually an active blood donor and I would like to continue to contribute in that way but I certainly understand the fear associated with having a gay man's blood in the "pool".
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:20 pm

Axixic wrote:Okay - no problem - that was actually the answer I expected.

Prior to my "realization" I was actually an active blood donor and I would like to continue to contribute in that way but I certainly understand the fear associated with having a gay man's blood in the "pool".

I will check further, as I know Mexico does a complete blood test before drawing blood..may not be an issue...one of my Canadian friends.....type O neg can no longer donate in Canada, cause he lives in Mexico.....go figure.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next