INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Renting a car in the U.S. with a Mexican driver's license.

+4
windrider17
desafinada
ferret
Cincy
8 posters

Go down

Renting a car in the U.S. with a Mexican driver's license. Empty Renting a car in the U.S. with a Mexican driver's license.

Post by Cincy Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:43 pm

Last week my wife and I flew to San Antonio, Texas. As always, we rented a car from National Car Rental at the airport. I presented the following valid documents to the kiosk attendant:

1) U.S. passport
2) U.S. credit card
3) Mexican drivers license
4) Mexican Residente Permanente card

I was not allowed to rent a car because my passport and driver's license were from different countries! This must be a common occurrence for all long-term ex-pats living abroad. How does one overcome this hurdle?

Cincy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Monty Python...

Back to top Go down

Renting a car in the U.S. with a Mexican driver's license. Empty Re: Renting a car in the U.S. with a Mexican driver's license.

Post by ferret Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:49 pm

That certainly doesn't happen in Canada and I highly suspect that it was the employee's problem not yours. I would phone to the head office of the car rental agency and/or try another car rental agency to check your options. I have been renting cars in Canada for over twenty years with just a Mexican's driver license and my Canadian passport and a Canadian credit card.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

slainte39 and Cincy like this post

Back to top Go down

Renting a car in the U.S. with a Mexican driver's license. Empty Re: Renting a car in the U.S. with a Mexican driver's license.

Post by desafinada Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:12 pm

We rented from Budget in 2019. Because we had booked on their Mexican site, they insisted on a MX driver's license.

desafinada
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by windrider17 Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:15 pm

Try Turo. I use it everywhere. https://turo.com/

windrider17
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Warped

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:13 pm

In Ireland, I have used used Mexican DL, US credit card, and Irish passport, all together, and never a problem at Hertz or Irish Car Rentals.
I think like ferret said, it was an employee problem.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Cincy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by sm1mex Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:30 pm

We have rented cars in US with Mx drivers license. We always check with rental company to let them know we have a Mx license and get an ok with license required on reservation. No problem. Use US credit card.

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Cincy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:49 am

Alas budget in LA told us they would rent to us if our Mexican drivers license wasn't in Mexican. No I am not making this up. The manager said the same thing. When we complained to someone sane and non racist they apologized. We told them lots of choices in rent a car and it won't be budget.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

ferret likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by scooterbum Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:59 pm

A few years back I booked a rental in the U.S online. I was using a vpn showing my location in the USA - budget quoted $675 for the week. I disabled the vpn (now showing Mexico location) and received a quote for $375 for the week. Seemed weird so I repeated this (USA. Mex) again with the same result. Booked using the Mexico price - rented the car at the Mexico price with a Jalisco drivers license and a US credit card no problem.

scooterbum

ferret and Sherman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cincy Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:42 pm

As the OP, here is an update:
Rented a car in Austin, TX, from AVIS with Jalisco drivers license and U.S. credit - no problems

Cincy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Monty Python...

ferret and slainte39 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down