INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tamales!

+8
RVGRINGO
Bubba2shoes
Canada_Mike
helohfe
lunateak
Lady Otter Latté
brigitte
Trailrunner
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tamales! Empty Tamales!

Post by Trailrunner Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:22 pm

Tomorrow, Maria and Mario (formally the long-time owners of Mario's Restaurant in San Antonio) will be making tamales and selling them at their house on Privada Ramon Corona in SA.

Go east on Ramon Corona from the plaza a couple of blocks to Priv Ramon Corona and turn left. The house is a few doors up on the right.

3:00 pm. 12 pesos.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Tamales! Empty Re: Tamales!

Post by brigitte Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:03 pm

q12 pesos for how many? What is the stuffing?

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:27 pm

Cada uno.
I think Spinach or mushroom. Not sure what else but Mario was off to Chapala getting requeson and queso. They will be good.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:39 pm

jesus the tamales in Chiapas are 5 pesos each for chicken mole or azafran.. This area is expensive..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:55 pm

brigitte wrote:jesus the tamales in Chiapas are 5 pesos each for chicken mole or azafran.. This area is expensive..

There are more people here who can afford to pay 12 pesos for a tamale. Those who can’t buy them from someone who sells less expensive ones.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:45 am

brigitte wrote:jesus the tamales in Chiapas are 5 pesos each for chicken mole or azafran.. This area is expensive..

I found the food in Chiapas profoundly uninspiring.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:00 am

Lady Otter Latté wrote:

There are more people here who can afford to pay 12 pesos for a tamale. Those who can’t buy them from someone who sells less expensive ones.

That was my fat finger that gave your post a thumbs down, sorry.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:02 am

Trailrunner wrote:

I found the food in Chiapas profoundly uninspiring.

Was that local food or you trying to eat vegan?
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:13 am

Local.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:36 am

The local food is very difficult to find in San Cristobal unless you eat in houses.. The tamales are excellent, the sopa de pan is good but as a rule the Mexican food iSan Cristobal is not exciting and difficult to find
.. Tuxtla has excellent street food... I never had bad food there , I eat in the markets, I love the botaneras which is their version of tapas places, you order beer and they serve you hors d oeuvres , some are excellent.
The indigenous food is uninteresting as a rule broth with veggies and turkey. chicken or sometimes beef that are tough as nail.
The moles are ok but nothing like those you get in villages in Oaxaca. They are 3 hours from the coast and have good seafood when you are lucky..
I only know of one local restaurant that serves vegetarian local food and it is in Amatenango.. All the vegetarian restaurants are in San Crsitobal are post hippy restaurants..
When in San Cristobal , I eat at home , I live next to municipal market so I get all kinds of great veggies and fruit
Anyhow the tamales are excellent and cheap if tamales is what you like..You go around on saturday night and buy them at the houses that put a red light out..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:21 am

Best food I had in Chiapas was Manuel's cooking at Bela's. She is a great cook! After eating at a few restaurants on the Andador in SC, I stuck mostly to Manuela.

Did have good tamales and mole in the plaza one night though.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:59 pm

yes home cooking is the way to go in San Cristobal.. Tuxtla is different but then who wants to go into that hellhole.. There are a handful of good restaurants in San Cristobal and that is about it.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by helohfe Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:34 pm

I stopped by and bought 9 (3 of eah variety..Chicken, spinach, and Mushroom), wished I had bought a dozen more..Delish..In fact I am tempted to head back..Please let us know if and when they will be available again..Tomas
Nice meeting you Trailrunner..

helohfe
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:35 pm

These are the best tamales I've ever had! These ain't no cinco peso tamales!

While chatting with Mario and Maria another member of Inside Lakeside arrived for his tamales.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:39 pm

Igualmente, Tomas! Aren't they good!
I will let you know if I hear more. We were talking about food projects, trying to come up with an idea for something different. Any ideas, Tomas?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Canada_Mike Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:43 pm

Is there going to be regular sales? (Please say yes!!)
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : New York

http://gilbert.info.yorku.ca/

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:49 pm

Mike, I think she is thinking of having regular tamales sales. I will tell her that you asked. See what she says. . .

She gave me a taste of the jamaica marmalade she made, man that was knock-your-sox-off- good too. No sugar.

Mike I don't think it's too late for today. . .
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Canada_Mike Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:20 pm

I'm up north right now, coming back the 28th. I'm a tamale addict so I'll keep watching this thread. Thumbs up
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : New York

http://gilbert.info.yorku.ca/

Back to top Go down

Post by Bubba2shoes Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:08 pm

As a tamal freak, I regret that I missed the Mario and Maria tamal feast here in Ajijic but perhaps they have some left over for tomorrow. Tamales are a specialty in San Cristobal and are widely available from residences displaying red lights on Saturday nights. The tamales are inexpensive and relatively small but absolutely delicious at the right vendor homes and I look forward to Saturday nights in the early evenings when the tamales go on sale here and there in our neighborhood adjacent to the huge indigenous market. The azafran and mole tamales are great with ice cold beer or some local rum. Trailrunner and Brigitte are right that local restaurants in San Cristobal can often be disappointing but there are a few good ones around town. Whether in Ajijic or San Cristobal we are old farts who normally feast at home primarily featuring great produce bought normally in indigenous markets so we have only limited restaurant experience in either town and are, thus, not good guides for folks doing the town for entertainment.

Bubba2shoes
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://rbplummer1@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by helohfe Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:09 am

As I noted earlier, Maria's Tamales were some of the best I have ever eaten. I only wish I had purchased a dozen or more, I will the next time she has a sale. The chicken were my favorite followed by the spinach, the wife loved the mushroom. There is a business opportunity for her, not only in selling Tamales but putting forth a cooking class on making them as well as other traditional dishes. Her charming personality and cooking skills should be shared via classes. Advanced notification and advertising would be paramount to her success..In the meantime please provide several advance notifications of her tamale sales..

helohfe
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:23 am

As I salivate, my mind is flashing back to "The Hole in The Wall" that used go be on Hidalgo, in Ajijic. It was convenient to our home at that time, and we seldom missed an opportunity to have a tamal and a few empanadas with that cold beer. Time flies, and both it and we are gone from there.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:32 am

Yes, Tomas, we talked about classes and she was open to the idea. I will pass along your comments as well. They are kinda looking for something to do that would fit easily into their retired life. 

They are my neighbors and I see them often so I'll have another chat with them about it soon and see when she plans to do it again. Maybe for 3 Kings, no?

Tomas, and anyone else interested in cooking classes from Maria and Mario, what would you like to learn how to make? Tamales and what else? I would like to learn a couple of mole recipes. You???

RVG, we might have to talk you into visiting for a class. . .
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:37 pm

Mole yes. loved their mole at the resto. So who has the resto now? Hope it stayed close to their guidance. they are gems Lakeside.
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:22 pm

borderreiver wrote:Mole yes. loved their mole at the resto. So who has the resto now? Hope it stayed close to their guidance. they are gems Lakeside.

Cunado de Mario.....as good as, or better.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:32 pm

Ran into Mario today and told him how much we liked the tamales, he was pleased. Said he'd tell me when they will make them again so I can post it here. Will do.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next