INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great article for potential newcomers to Mexico

+14
Rosa Venus
Trailrunner
doc holiday
Carry Bean
Nicksco
Lady Otter Latté
CHILLIN
alisunsmom
gringal
brigitte
Gamina
twelveoaks
SunshineyDay
CanuckBob
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Great article for potential newcomers to Mexico Empty Great article for potential newcomers to Mexico

Post by CanuckBob Sat May 19, 2018 7:51 am

This is bang on and should be a "must read" for anyone thinking of relocating here (or anywhere in Mexico).

http://www.focusonmexico.com/noisy-dirty-dangerous-lakeside/

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Great article for potential newcomers to Mexico Empty Re: Great article for potential newcomers to Mexico

Post by SunshineyDay Sat May 19, 2018 8:16 am

Great article! All those things mentioned keep life interesting here. :)

SunshineyDay
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Great article for potential newcomers to Mexico Empty Re: Great article for potential newcomers to Mexico

Post by CanuckBob Sat May 19, 2018 8:56 am

That's for sure. I know of a few people that probably wished they read this before moving here.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Great article for potential newcomers to Mexico Empty focus article

Post by twelveoaks Sat May 19, 2018 9:11 am

CanuckBob wrote:That's for sure. I know of a few people that probably wished they read this before moving here.

Interesting that this article is presented by Focus on Mexico which is the company that convinced me I was moving to paradise.

After six years here I am ready to return to California as the pot holes, trash, stray dogs, etc have gotten worse, not better and they also seem to bother me more now that the rose colored glasses are off.

Lakeside works for those that are mostly concerned with cost of living but they live in neighborhoods and houses they would not live in NOB and tolerate conditions they would never tolerate NOB.

I do not desire to start a debate which generally develops over these types of issues . I am simply stating my opinion and I am anything but a frequent poster but this article hit home.

twelveoaks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamina Sat May 19, 2018 9:12 am

Mexico either makes you stronger or you flee with your tail between your legs and mistakenly blame Mexico.
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sat May 19, 2018 9:43 am

Interesting we lived in San Francisco right above Chinatown on Russian hill and and in a house in the Mayacamas mountains on the ridge between Napa and Sonoma and I would not go back there for anything. Beautiful country but I would be bored out of my mind in the country and San Fancisco with the hills and the crowd is not a place where I would retired..My life is way more interesting here, I learned Spanish work with people I really enjoyed and would not go back to the US or France.. everyone is different and no it is not all about cost..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat May 19, 2018 10:13 am

I totally agree brigitte. We come from Vancouver which some people argue is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. If I move from Lake Chapala it won't be back to there.

Twelveoaks, Focus has probably gotten too many complaints and decided to start telling it like it is. Life in Mexico has always been that way. I think you nailed it with your "rose colored glasses" comment. Having visited extensively before moving here there has never been anything that we didn't expect or know all about. Yeah some things may be worse but many things have improved......that's the way it goes no matter where you live. I still shake my head at people who have only visited Mexico once or twice and decide to pack up and move here.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat May 19, 2018 10:27 am

Twelveoaks: "Lakeside works for those that are mostly concerned with cost of living but they live in neighborhoods and houses they would not live in NOB and tolerate conditions they would never tolerate NOB."

That is pure, unadulterated b.s. since he's applying it to everyone. Someone with that shallow attitude should head NOB as quickly as possible.

The article CBob referred to is right on target. Surprising source, though.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Great article for potential newcomers to Mexico Empty focus

Post by alisunsmom Sat May 19, 2018 11:01 am

gringal wrote:Twelveoaks: "Lakeside works for those that are mostly concerned with cost of living but they live in neighborhoods and houses they would not live in NOB and tolerate conditions they would never tolerate NOB."

That is pure, unadulterated b.s. since he's applying it to everyone. Someone with that shallow attitude should head NOB as quickly as possible.

The article CBob referred to is right on target.  Surprising source, though.

Gringal,

I generalized when I shouldn't have and I apologize for that. However, your response is exactly why I don't get involved in these forums. I read many of your postings on dining and in several instances I d not agree with you but I don't attack you or your opinions.

alisunsmom

Back to top Go down

Post by twelveoaks Sat May 19, 2018 11:13 am

alisunsmom wrote:
gringal wrote:Twelveoaks: "Lakeside works for those that are mostly concerned with cost of living but they live in neighborhoods and houses they would not live in NOB and tolerate conditions they would never tolerate NOB."

Gringal,

I generalized when I shouldn't have and I apologize for that. However, your response is exactly why I don't get involved in these forums. I read many of your postings on dining and in several instances I d not agree with you but I don't attack you or your opinions.

used wrong sign in. Should have been under twelveoaks

twelveoaks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sat May 19, 2018 11:23 am

Bob I only visited Mexico a few times , came down to see several cities and after a week bought a house Lakeside and never regretted it.. I think it is all in the attitude. when I move I do not look back do not compare areas and start getting interested in the area I moved to.. I do not go back and forth and make do with what I have , I do not have expectations except that it is going to be differnt. The only thing I miss is Asian food but I am pretty goood at Vietnamese food so I have it anyways better than at the restaurants.
Things are differnt here, some better some worse..but as never go back or look back it is irrelevant.
We live in 2 nice houses, again different from up north. We had a tiny apartment with a spectacular view of San Francisco and the bay and a house in the middle of the woods with acrage and also a beautiful view.. Here we decided no hill in our old age so no view but a beautiful garden and in Chiapas a patio house right where the action is at 1 block from the indigenous market so no view either..It is differnt not worse than what we had, actually in many aspects it is more to our liking. Life is what you make of it not what you have or do not have .. yes I agree most restaurants do not hold a candle to what we left so I cook and we still eat delicious food and when I go home to France I can have some of the stuff we do not have here.. but really big deal..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat May 19, 2018 11:40 am

But brigitte, you have lived/traveled all over the world prior to Mexico and surely knew what to expect in a Latin America type of country. I'm speaking of the ones that have spend all of their lives in Canada or the US and basically only went on short vacations to resorts.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sat May 19, 2018 11:53 am

I did not know what to expect but I knew that no matter what it was like I could deal with it.. Sometimes not having expectations is better than having a dream..
Yes you are right it probably is way more difficult to go through culture shock at 50 or 60 than 18..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Sat May 19, 2018 1:27 pm

I can already sense the smug grins from the gated communities and hillside fracs. Quiet, clean, trash pickup now three times a week where we live. There have been some burglaries, and attempted burglaries, but the ratons need a vehicle for that. With new security systems offered by companies like Blink, upgraded security is a lot easier and affordable.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat May 19, 2018 1:34 pm

Jaja........works great for those who want to stay at home. Kind of reminds me of an old poster we had here called "johninajijic". He hated Mexico and Mexicans but loved his little gated community. Used to go out once a week to shop and attend his luncheon but couldn't get back behind his walls fast enough.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sat May 19, 2018 2:17 pm

Twelveoaks, when you make a comment like you did you ARE attacking people, just in a passive-aggressive way. I prefer Gringal’s straightforward commentary to your backhanded insults. You don’t attack our opinions just our entire lives. Anyway, it is okay to be unhappy here and want go somewhere else. There is no need to insult people who live here happily with all its issues, challenges, and problems.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat May 19, 2018 2:23 pm

alisunsmom wrote:

Gringal,

My restaurant opinions do not insult anyone personally; I stick to the food and service.  Feel free to express opposing opinions.  I won't feel personally insulted. Your generalization was extremely insulting to anyone who did not fit into that slot you created out of disappointment and thin air.......so: apples and oranges.  Apology accepted on behalf of all those who are here by CHOICE and are content with our decision to live here; potholes, topes, warts and all.
mariachi

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicksco Sat May 19, 2018 2:31 pm

I came here 3 and a half years ago site unseen I did a lot of looking on the internet about here, Google earth and every thing! I rented a house on Galeana between Carranza and Zapata before i had seen it! I see a lot of tourest go by the house and they never say hi! every Mexican that goes by says hola!! I would hate to have to lock myself in to my house like the expats do in expate city above me!! That is how I feel about things. When in Rome do as the Romans do!!!!
Nicksco
Nicksco

Humor : good

http://nicksco1@msn.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat May 19, 2018 2:41 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Jaja........works great for those who want to stay at home. Kind of reminds me of an old poster we had here called "johninajijic". He hated Mexico and Mexicans but loved his little gated community. Used to go out once a week to shop and attend his luncheon but couldn't get back behind his walls fast enough.

I remember John well: one of a kind, in his way. When he had his going away sale, I went up there and bought his duck head fireplace set, and sometimes I think about him and wonder if he's happier back in the USA. I'd guess "yes".

In general, people who live in gated communities probably are more content there than if they had to live in the towns themselves. They like the conveniences. Me, I enjoy living in town and feeling more "connected" with life in Mexico. Different strokes.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Sat May 19, 2018 2:59 pm

It sort of goes back to my philosophy which I have stated often to bloom where you’re planted. The only place I was ever unhappy was my original home town where you must live in the right zip code, have 2.2 kids, shop at Nieman Marcus and score extra points if you qualified for the D.A.R. which my sister belonged to. Great pizza, though. My house here is actually better than my condo in the Virgin Islands and I don’t have to haul my trash in my car to a roadside dumpster as I did there. No hurricanes either.

I have never understood why people who leave have to act like those who elect to stay are somehow crazy not to feel as they do. Good luck with your move back. And be sure to fertilize where you plant yourself because wherever you go, there you are.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by SunshineyDay Sat May 19, 2018 3:55 pm

I went to John's going away sale too. Can't remember what I bought but I do remember him complaining about something. I first saw CB when he was leaving the sale. Yes John was quite infamous! lol

SunshineyDay
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat May 19, 2018 4:02 pm

I didn't take twelveoaks comments as an insult. He was a perfect example of what I was speaking of. It sounds like he didn't spend much time in Mexico prior to moving here and bought the "paradise package" that Focus on Mexico was previously selling. Good on him for checking out. I wish the other unhappy campers would share the ride. Heck, I may get bored of this place and check out one day too.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat May 19, 2018 4:37 pm

CanuckBob wrote:I didn't take twelveoaks comments as an insult. He was a perfect example of what I was speaking of. It sounds like he didn't spend much time in Mexico prior to moving here and bought the "paradise package" that Focus on Mexico was previously selling. Good on him for checking out. I wish the other unhappy campers would share the ride. Heck, I may get bored of this place and check out one day too.

""Lakeside works for those that are mostly concerned with cost of living but they live in neighborhoods and houses they would not live in NOB and tolerate conditions they would never tolerate NOB."

You don't consider than an insult, eh? Hmmm. It's fine that he saw the light and realized he would not be happy here. No problem with that. I'm with you in wishing the other unhappy ones would take their bundles of negativity and head NOB. The problem was his superior attitude toward those who have chosen to stay.

I'm with the motto of "bloom where you're planted". Makes sense to me.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Great article for potential newcomers to Mexico Empty focus

Post by twelveoaks Sat May 19, 2018 5:20 pm

CanuckBob wrote:I didn't take twelveoaks comments as an insult. He was a perfect example of what I was speaking of. It sounds like he didn't spend much time in Mexico prior to moving here and bought the "paradise package" that Focus on Mexico was previously selling. Good on him for checking out. I wish the other unhappy campers would share the ride. Heck, I may get bored of this place and check out one day too.

Bob,

Thanks for calming the waters. I meant no insult just a very bad choice of words and again I apologize.

twelveoaks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by doc holiday Sat May 19, 2018 6:47 pm

The article somewhat pissed me off. It no way reflects my experiences in Mexico. I have lived here 21 years. I love Mexico and the Mexican people.

The writer must live in the center of a pristine corn field in central Iowa-

In 2010 I went back to the town where I grew up in the States. It was a very depressing experience. Stores were closed. Five factories or manufacturing plants had closed or left town. The lñargest business was medicaid, welfare and food stamps. Those few remaining THAT WORKED FACED BIG TAXES.

I will never return there nor could I ever live in the States again. It is a world apart from when I grew up.

Those who say they are going back for health care must be loaded with money.....not realistic.

Glad the writer left and does not live here.

Just go to some of the sanctuary cities if you want to see gloom, despair and misery. Trash and people living on the street would shock most of us living in Mexico for any time.

Nuff said............love where I am.......right here in Mexico

doc holiday
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : yes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next