INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Using cellular data in the U.S. where there is no wi-fi

+2
coffeeguy
sm1mex
6 posters

Go down

Using cellular data in the U.S. where there is no wi-fi Empty Using cellular data in the U.S. where there is no wi-fi

Post by sm1mex Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:45 pm

With a Telcel plan with free phone calling to U.S. and Canada, when in the U.S. and there is no wi-fi, to connect to cellular data through a T-Mobile tower, do you need to turn on roaming to connect to a tower and is there is a roaming charge.  

I have tried to use cellular data in U.S. without wi-fi (with roaming off) but it says you are not connected to the internet.

Bottom line question: if using roaming in the U.S. to connect to T-Mobie, is it free or is there a roaming charge?

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Using cellular data in the U.S. where there is no wi-fi Empty Re: Using cellular data in the U.S. where there is no wi-fi

Post by coffeeguy Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:59 pm

You have to turn roaming on in order for it to work in the U.S. I don't believe there is a charge.

coffeeguy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Using cellular data in the U.S. where there is no wi-fi Empty Re: Using cellular data in the U.S. where there is no wi-fi

Post by CanuckBob Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:13 pm

When last in Canada I tried turning on my data when I arrived there and it told me I needed to have turned on my roaming PRIOR to leaving the TelCel service area. Go figure??

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by conejorapido Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:30 pm

Never had that problem in the US, Bob. Just turn on roaming and all is good. We're going to Canada in June so I'll report back if we encounter the problem you did.

I can say that we were in Quebec last September and didn't have a problem.

conejorapido
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sm1mex Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:47 pm

conejorapido: So when you were roaming in the U.S. to use data, you were not charged a roaming fee?

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:34 pm

With my Telcel basic Amigo plan, when I am in the US if I have roaming on I can stream data. But with my plan it is terribly expensive to do so. So I always turn roaming off when heading north.

The year I forgot to, my account balance went way down, because sometimes I was apparently out of WiFi range when I tried checking something on line thinking I had WiFi.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Fibonacci Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:11 pm

These are the new Telmex Amigo Sin Límite prices and parameters.  As long as you have one of these plans and enough accumulated mbs, you will be fine.  (dial *135# in order to check how many remaining mbs you have and when you have to renew your plan).  I did have to turn on roaming while I was in the USA in order to connect with the Internet when out and about and I didn't have WiFi. There were no extra charges. Using cellular data in the U.S. where there is no wi-fi Img_0410
Fibonacci
Fibonacci

Back to top Go down

Post by Fibonacci Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:14 pm

One more thing I learned a couple of days ago. The very helpful woman at the Telcel office next to Alex's Pasta Bar (I believe her name is Ana), told me that if my plan expired while I was up in the USA, I could prepay with her and she would renew it on a scheduled date -- she even showed me all the sticky notes attached to her desk from many people who had asked her to do that.
Fibonacci
Fibonacci

Back to top Go down

Post by sm1mex Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:29 pm

A Mexican lady called Telcel today for me and was told you can use your plan in the U.S. just like you do here, except you have to turn on roaming to connect to T Mobile when you are not on wi-fi and there is no charge. I don't know about the Amigo card where you put pesos on your phone, but a regular plan if good in U.S.

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by conejorapido Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:43 pm

sm1mex wrote:conejorapido:  So when you were roaming in the U.S. to use data, you were not charged a roaming fee?
No, I was not. I'm on a monthly plan with Telcel and there have never been any charges for roaming when I've been in the US and the one time I was in Canada.

conejorapido
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:10 pm

It depends upon the type of account you have. I have the very basic Amigo plan (not the amigo sin limite plan) and for 60 days in advance I have to pay $100 pesos or more.

Unlike others who can check there account by dialing *135#, I can not.

I have to dial *133# to get my balance and I am charged for roaming when I am up north. Not a problem as I have an internet account in my US (very small) condo
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down