INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any reason NOT to travel back into Mexico on Permanent Residence card?

4 posters

Go down

Any reason NOT to travel back into Mexico on Permanent Residence card? Empty Any reason NOT to travel back into Mexico on Permanent Residence card?

Post by Explorador Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:35 pm

I obtained my Permanent Residency card in April 2013. In 2015 I sold my house and moved back to the USA. I failed to inform INM of the change. I'm planning to fly into Cancun and tour around in a rental car for a week or two. Is there any reason why I wouldn't want to use my Permanent Residence card for immigration purpose, as opposed to a Tourist visa, of course.

It was always my understanding that obtaining a Tourist visa would invalidate the Permanent Residence visa. I can't see any reason why I'd want to do that. I like having the valid Permanent Residence visa - can't tell what the future might bring.

Does anyone know of a downside here?

Explorador

Back to top Go down

Any reason NOT to travel back into Mexico on Permanent Residence card? Empty Re: Any reason NOT to travel back into Mexico on Permanent Residence card?

Post by RVGRINGO Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:08 pm

If you did not check out of Mexico with an FMM, indicating your RP status, I suggest that you not fly back into Mexico. I am not sure, but it could create a problem. It might be better to go to the border, walk into Mexico, then check out oficially, with an FMM RPstatus noted, and maybe even a passport exit stamp. Then, fly back as RP as though you were just out for a short visit. I know there is no time limit, but.......??????
If you enter Mexico as a tourist, you will lose your RP status.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Any reason NOT to travel back into Mexico on Permanent Residence card? Empty Re: Any reason NOT to travel back into Mexico on Permanent Residence card?

Post by Explorador Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:13 pm

RV, thanks for reminding me about the FMM. We drove out; don't have any FMM paperwork nor exit stamp. I guess we'll just find out what happens at Cancun immigration when we show up with Permanent Resident cards and no part of an FMM. Anyone ever done this?

Explorador

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:14 am

You will have an FMM; as you will be given them on the plane, before landing. Just fill out the entry portion with your RP status and “other“ checked.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:20 am

I would seek advice from Spencer.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Explorador Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:32 am

Right RV. I re-educated myself about the FMM for RPs on this thread (at the other board).

I'll be in the normal situation of filling out the top portion of the FMM, clearly marking RP, Mexico as country of residence, "other", writing "Residente Permanente" in block letters (optional), not filling out the bottom portion and/or tearing it off and hiding it, handing them my RP card first, then passport, then FMM, announcing "Soy Permanente" (optional), etc. I would never have any half to return in any case. So all is well.

As for the original post, I don't see any downside to keeping my RP valid. IF I were to ever drive through Mexico in my US plated car then I would enter as tourist and have to invalidate my RP. But that's not the case for this trip.

Thanks RV and Bob for your help. I've got it now, more or less.

Last edited by Explorador on Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)

Explorador

Back to top Go down

Post by helohfe Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:41 pm

You will need to fill out the bottom 1/2 of the FMM and provide it to INM upon your departure from Mexico as the airline will attach it to your departure ticket..It will be interesting to see what you learn...my guess is that all will proceed as if you had never left Mexico..ie..no issues with INM..Let us know!!

helohfe
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Any reason NOT to travel back into Mexico on Permanent Residence card? Empty Update - a year later

Post by Explorador Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:34 pm

I'm back here to the forum, a year later, to refresh my memory for another flight to Cancun.

Last year, everything went as predicted. It was a little uncomfortable arriving at immigration in Mexico. The agent looked through my passport and couldn't find an exit stamp. I explained that we drove out and didn't get it stamped. She asked how long I had been in the States. I told her a year or two. She left to check on something in another location. Oh oh I thought. But... she came back and said everything was fine. Stamp stamp and we were in!

When we left, we did need to allow extra time to get a new FMM at immigration. (The same office where tourists who forget to keep the lower portion have to pay cash to leave Mexico.) They had forms already prepared for residents with specific fields to fill out pre-highlighted. We filled out the bottom portion, and only the first six boxes and signature line of the top portion. The agent stamped them and marked permanent with a big red marker across the top and also a big red check mark next to "Tarjeta de Residente Permanente" in the gray Uso Oficial area. We still have the two top portions. We must have attached the bottom portion to the airline boarding pass as usual.

So now we can use last years top portion for this year's return. We'll just add info into boxes 7 ("Mexico"), 8 (No. on back of RP card), 9 ("Other"), the flight information and hotel. We don't have the associated bottom portions to confuse anyone. All is well.

Explorador

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down