INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MEXICAN NETFLIX

+8
CanuckBob
viajero
lunateak
Zedinmexico
mattoleriver
solajijic
Trailrunner
gringal
12 posters

Go down

MEXICAN NETFLIX Empty MEXICAN NETFLIX

Post by gringal Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:52 am

I'm one of those whose ass was not hidden well on HMA VPN and was dumped by U.S. Netflix. Tried a bunch of workarounds, not of which worked for long, so there's no point in suggesting new ones. It's over; the love affair with Netflix USA has gone south........to Netflix Mexico. There are some decent shows on there and we've been watching them.
HOWEVER: We don't just WANT English subtitles: I and mi esposo are hearing impaired; he's almost deaf and I'm coming right on down that path. We NEED the subtitles. Netflix Mexico seems to assume that if a show is in English, who needs English subtitles? That narrows the field. Some shows have them and that's our menu.

BUT, for pure frustration: We watched the first season of THE HOUR, which is a good show with English subtitles. Now that we're hooked, we tried for season 2. Lo! NO ENGLISH SUBTITLES. Plus, that's not the only show doing that. aaaargh!

Yesterday, I was fool enough to go to the "customer service" site, where a variety of "help" chats ensued, usually terminated by cybergremlins at some point. No answers, just suggestions which had already been tried and failed.
I'm sure a flaming letter to Netflix would get zero results, as well.

We broke down and bought an LG "smart" TV, but this is not its field of interest, so no help there. Beautiful picture, though, compared to the 14 year old Sony we gave away.

So.........has anyone else encountered this problem and have an answer/solution?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

MEXICAN NETFLIX Empty Re: MEXICAN NETFLIX

Post by Trailrunner Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:57 am

Headphones?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:04 pm

Trailrunner wrote:Headphones?

Thanks, but this has been tried and found wanting.  The problem with hearing aids is that as the volume increases, the sound becomes distorted and it is difficult to understand words and sentences.  I'll say that although it sort of works, it's not a satisfactory experience.  Subtitles, especially in cases where there is a strong British accent, work much better.

Maybe this is one of those things where Netflix will someday get its legal issues worked out and life will go back to the way it was....... or I'll revert to reading books only...........as I used to do when I lived so far off the cable grid that TV was just not an option. Rolling Eyes

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by solajijic Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:02 pm

If the Amazon video selections have the closed captioning you want they just began a new access of $9 US to their live streaming and prime video service. That might be a new option.

I have an extra Fire stick, which we use with USTVnow and the Amazon plus a bunch of other services. You can borrow it to see if its the direction you want to go.

solajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : "I a, a practical woman. Sentiment only takes one so far. At some point, practicality must enter the room."

Back to top Go down

Post by mattoleriver Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:53 pm

gringal wrote:
We broke down and bought an LG "smart" TV, but this is not its field of interest, so no help there.  Beautiful picture, though, compared to the 14 year old Sony we gave away.
I hope you bought the extended warranty. My beautiful new LG smart TV went through 4 main boards before the warranty company decided that they had had enough and bought the TV from me. It sure was nice when it was working!
mattoleriver
mattoleriver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:05 pm

What is it about British accents! I have trouble with them too. Headphones work for me.

What about headphones WITHOUT the hearing aids?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:09 pm

solajijic wrote:If the Amazon video selections have the closed captioning you want they just began a new access of $9 US to their live streaming and prime video service. That might be a new option.

I have an extra Fire stick, which we use with USTVnow and the Amazon plus a bunch of other services.  You can borrow it to see if its the direction you want to go.

Does Amazon have a problem with Mexican subscribers? Is USTVnow a VPN? Thanks for the offer to borrow. I'll check this out and get back to you.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:11 pm

mattoleriver wrote:
gringal wrote:
We broke down and bought an LG "smart" TV, but this is not its field of interest, so no help there.  Beautiful picture, though, compared to the 14 year old Sony we gave away.
I hope you bought the extended warranty. My beautiful new LG smart TV went through 4 main boards before the warranty company decided that they had had enough and bought the TV from me. It sure was nice when it was working!

No we didn't buy the extended warranty, so I guess all we can do is cross our fingers!
MEXICAN NETFLIX 851398

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:15 pm

Trailrunner wrote:What is it about British accents! I have trouble with them too. Headphones work for me.

Well, WITH, you get hella feedback. Without, I don't know. I really hate wearing headphones, and that wouldn't solve the British accent problem........but thanks for the suggestion. If I get desperate enough...........it could be worth a try.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:53 am

gringal wrote:
mattoleriver wrote:
gringal wrote:

No we didn't buy the extended warranty, so I guess all we can do is cross our fingers!
MEXICAN NETFLIX 851398

LG TVs are normally very reliable but as you can see everybody makes a lemon now and than.  Reason board swaps are so unreliable is most spare boards are bad boards especially when they get returned and tested with a no trouble found and they go right back out.  Manufactures should use new boards for repairs but many times they don't have them available after production run thus the so called refurbished boards which stand a good chance of being bad themselves. Now you know.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:36 am

gringal wrote:
solajijic wrote:If the Amazon video selections have the closed captioning you want they just began a new access of $9 US to their live streaming and prime video service. That might be a new option.

I have an extra Fire stick, which we use with USTVnow and the Amazon plus a bunch of other services.  You can borrow it to see if its the direction you want to go.

Does Amazon have a problem with Mexican subscribers?  Is USTVnow a VPN?  Thanks for the offer to borrow.  I'll check this out and get back to you.

USTVnow requires that you NOT be in the US. No VPN needed.
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:21 am

Trailrunner wrote:What is it about British accents! I have trouble with them too.

I have trouble listening to American or British actors whose voices I'm familiar with speaking Spanish with Spanish accents,even though I understand the Spanish it just isn't the same..

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:24 am

Thanks for this information; really appreciate all the input.  Question:  with the $9 US (monthly fee?) for using the service, do you also need to pay per item streamed, separately?  Will a Roku box (which we have already) work the same as a fire stick?

15 minutes later; edit. I just read the information and comments on USTV per Senor Google. It appears that it provides live time streaming of a number of channels, which would seem to mean recording if you didn't want to watch at the particular time the program is on. Also, what about movies and TV series? Are those available without the need to record them?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:06 am

Trailrunner wrote:What is it about British accents! I have trouble with them too. Headphones work for me.

Just watch Coronation Street every day and you will be fluent Brit............ Beer
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:59 am

CanuckBob wrote:

Just watch Coronation Street every day and you will be fluent Brit............ Beer

Now THAT sounds ducky. I have a Brit friend who fills the bill nicely, but it's still a challenge, especially on the phone.
Our Mexican Netflix list is just the thing, for the most part, for young macho Mexicans who are fond of Korean martial arts fare along with Narco celebratory bios and young women who like to weep over difficult love stories. We are reduced at present to watching the Agents of Shields and being grateful for that. Rolling Eyes (just exaggerating and whining).

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Canada_Mike Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:00 pm

Oh, no, Bob - sorry. A while back we were watching a Brit cop series where a woman (Helen Mirren??) was the Chief DI. It was set in the midlands and after a month we were right on top of it. What'd they? Moved her up north, and we had to start all over again!
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : New York

http://gilbert.info.yorku.ca/

Back to top Go down

Post by Klutzy Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:32 am

Gringal, see my new post in the US Netflix thread. I'd think your new TV should have a CC option. Mine does and it's a lesser brand. http://www.lg.com/us/support/product-help/CT10000018-1434746644580-menu-settings

Klutzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hensley Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:33 am

Sound bar
Hensley
Hensley
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:37 am

Klutzy wrote:Gringal, see my new post in the US Netflix thread. I'd think your new TV should have a CC option. Mine does and it's a lesser brand. http://www.lg.com/us/support/product-help/CT10000018-1434746644580-menu-settings

Our new TV is a 42" LG purchased with fingers crossed from Walmart.  Supposedly "smart".

I'm sending your LG info site over to the resident techie, since that's not my field of endeavor.  Any help is appreciated.

There is a site we found that sorts out which Mexican Netflix programs have CC.  That really limits the selection, but we've actually enjoyed watching some classics like "L.A. Confidential" and "Man on Fire".  We will probably be patronizing our LCS video store soon, however.   Whine.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by BILLBOGEY Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:26 pm

I have what audiologists class as a moderate to severe hearing loss.
I love closed caption. Even if the TV has closed Caption turned on, the program (or dvd) must be closed captioned.
I found trying to use headphones my hearing aids works better listening to my police scanner(won't use scanner at Lake Chapala). Not so well for TV. Most times the loud volume distorts the speech.
It will be interesting what TV progams I can get in Lake Chapala. I really like the golf Channel, hope it is available.

BILLBOGEY
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : UNIQUE

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down