INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chiapas in early May?

4 posters

Go down

Chiapas in early May? Empty Chiapas in early May?

Post by Rosa Venus Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:08 pm

Is early May a good time to go to Chiapas? I've never been, so it would likely be a typical touristy week or so. Spend a good chunk in San Cristobal, then whatever, depending. VivaAerobus has a cheap flight and I feel like pulling the trigger.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Chiapas in early May? Empty Re: Chiapas in early May?

Post by Trailrunner Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:20 pm

Do it!
I went in May and it was mostly sunny and warm, couple days some rain, and one day hail! Do it. You'll love it. Take the 'tours' to Chamula and the other villages. VivaAerobus is cool!
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:31 pm

Some friends just booked via Volaris for $52 USD return for late May.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:39 pm

52US round trip? If so, that's even cheaper than VA.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:08 pm

Jaja......they went with me last October and it pretty much rained the whole time. They swore they wouldn't go back........until they saw that airfare.

BTW...they booked it about 3 weeks ago.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:52 pm

The rains start around May 15 so the earlier you come the better.  Every year is differnt and this year has been dry and warm so it may continue you just do not know although I was in a community not far from San Cristobal this week and the rainbird were singing..
The weather has been really incredible this month..

Late May chances are that it will be raining...

I am due to return to Ajijic tomorrow but a friend of mine sent me a message that the men of his community weres on their way to Tuxtla to block the road so chances are we will not be able to go through so maybe the following day..welcome to Chiapas..

I will be in Ajijic a couple of weeks and then back to San Cristobal and stay there until the rains come..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:00 pm

Trigger pulled! $1329 ($75 US) RT, all in including taxes/fees, and extras for pre-assigned seat, and an allowance to check a bag bigger than a purse. Man, that's less than a roundtrip bus ticket to Vallarta.

First week in May. Thanks for your input Brigette, but I already bought the ticket before I saw it! Still, good to hear confirmation. No matter what weather I get there.....the weather will suck here at that time for sure, so at least I'll be somewhere different! Excited!
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:00 pm

If the weather sucks here it will be rainy and cool otherwise if it keeps going it will be really nice. . Hot in the jungle if you go to Palenque or Yaxchilan. there you hope for the cooling rain because May is really hot and humid.
Get nice non slippery shoes here the street are paved with flagstones and it is slippery as hell when wet.
Have a good time and try the thai restaurant on the andador or the French pasty shop Ohlala..LA Burger has fun burgers and we have Burger King..what else can you wish...

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:15 am

By the way the cab ride to San Cristobal is more than the one way ticket from Guadalajara or just about...

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:36 am

lol That's right, Rosa. Be sure and have a thick wad of pesos for the taxi up the hill to SC. Better yet, share a cab if you can. I forget how much it is but it's highway robbery and price-controlled. The other cheaper alternative is to go into Tuxtla and take a bus up to SC.

In SC, I really enjoyed the Mayan Medicine Museum which is a short walk from centro. It's excellent. And, of course, the mercado publico.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:38 am

Hey the trip to visit the Jaguar woman and Burger King were the highlights of my visit.....jaja.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:50 am

Yes you cannot beat Burger King.

Simona Gómez López and Juana Gómez Ramírez will be at the Feria in November where you can slurge for more Jaguars or palomas..

I spent a week with Simona and her group last week and in 5 days went to 6 wakes, could write a book on funerals in Amatenango..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:53 am

Wow, Brigitte, what did they die from. So many!
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:00 am

One 33 year old of alcohol choked to death, the other a 20 year old from an accident, a tree fell on him as he was cutting it, another cancer and otehrs old age..old age being more like late 50´s and early 60´s..A woman told me oh she was really old , she was 63...I told her I guess I am ancient at 70.. , we all laughed..

By the way for people who do not like pictures I was treated to all the gory deatails of death via cell phones..A group of young women were watching something on a cell and ask me to come over and someone had taken pictures of all the angles they could think of of the young man being crushed by the tree.. The people there live very close to death at all time and are fascinated by it..they have to see all the details and now with cell phones they can watch all they want but God forbid if you take their pictures without their permission

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:16 am

Yeah! Isn't that the truth. As someone we know found out the hard way.

So true, death lurks nearby in so many ways down there. So does diarrhea! lol
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:02 pm

This year for the first time in 9 years I did not get sick from the food or the air..must be becoming immune..or just got lucky.

The tax to San Cristobal is 700 0r 800 pesos. The taxis to Tuxtla I forget but they are something between 100 and 200 pesos. Ask to be taken to a collectivo terminal not to the bus terminal as they are not that many buses and the station is very far from the airport. The collectivos are 45 pesos to San Cristobal and then the cabs are 30 pesos anywhere in San Cristobal.
There are van Cristobal Colon dropping off passengers from San Cristobal but they do not really wait for passengers so you have to be lucky to get one. I think they are around 100 something pesos... As prices change every time I go I do not pay much attention anymore so it is an estimate.
Yes you can also ask a passenger from the plane if they are interested in sharing a cab but that is still 350 to 400 pesos.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down