INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mexico's anti-smoking campaign

+5
CanuckBob
bobnliz
Carry Bean
simpsca
oncesubtle
9 posters

Go down

Mexico's anti-smoking campaign Empty Mexico's anti-smoking campaign

Post by oncesubtle Tue May 10, 2011 10:10 am

Hat's off to the group marketing Mexico's anti-smoking campaign, these folks are serious.

For instance, on the front of a pack of Camel is the cigarette company's iconic camel bathed in a golden light with pyramids and palms in the back ground. Just makes ya want to light one up, but the fun stops there.

On the flap to open the pack, just above the camel and out sizing it by 2X is a picture of a dead rat with the words PRODUCTO TOXICO.

Then on the back, more fun facts:

Fumando te buscas una muerte lenta y dolorosa
(you're smoking a slow and painful death)

El tabaco que fumas contiene mas de 4,000 sustancias que danan gravemente tu organismo.
(The tobacco you smoke contains over 4,000 chemicals that severely damage your body)

CONTIENE CIANURO Veneno mortal utilizado como raticida
(CONTAINS deadly poison cyanide used as rat poison)

Deja de fumar, te conviene 01800 966 3863
(Stop smoking, you should 01800 966 3863)

oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Mexico's anti-smoking campaign Empty Re: Mexico's anti-smoking campaign

Post by simpsca Tue May 10, 2011 10:36 am

And how did you find the warning - why were you opening the pack of Camel's? That is a very good anti-smoking warning. Makes you wonder why laws are not that strict in the US - forget I asked that I know already. They are called lobbies.

I swear if anyone showed teen age boys every year what happens to some men who smoke - smokers legs, a result of PAD (loss of circulation to the legs). They would never touch a cigarette. It happens to women also but the deterrent to men would be the lack of good circulation from the waist down. The husband of a friend of mine died from that after they amputated his leg after many many surgeries. He also had lung cancer.

I don't know which is worse, my description or the dead rat.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Tue May 10, 2011 10:45 am

None of that stops a serious smoker & kids think they're invincible - nothing will ever happen to them. People quit when they're ready.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Tue May 10, 2011 5:33 pm

Sad, but true. They say you can lead horse to water, however.... in the case of smoking it's like trying to Dead Horse ...then lead it to the agua. Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wry ans dry

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Tue May 10, 2011 6:24 pm

simpsca wrote:And how did you find the warning - why were you opening the pack of Camel's? That is a very good anti-smoking warning. Makes you wonder why laws are not that strict in the US - forget I asked that I know already. They are called lobbies.

I swear if anyone showed teen age boys every year what happens to some men who smoke - smokers legs, a result of PAD (loss of circulation to the legs). They would never touch a cigarette. It happens to women also but the deterrent to men would be the lack of good circulation from the waist down. The husband of a friend of mine died from that after they amputated his leg after many many surgeries. He also had lung cancer.

I don't know which is worse, my description or the dead rat.

Well I'll tell you, the dead rat did it for me, I quit smoking those Camels! Bought a pack of Marlboro with the picture of a young boy reaching up to his one legged father on crutches with the printed message FUMANDO PIERDES MAS QUE UN MIEMBRO and something about gangrena on the back. Maybe it is time to quit, those folks are playing hardball.
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue May 10, 2011 6:28 pm

What!!!!!!!.....your momma didn't raise any quitters RB. Fire up another lung dart and fogedaboutit.

Smokealot
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Wed May 11, 2011 2:55 pm

I never smoked so I don't know what it is like to try and quit and I won't pass judgement on those who don't quit. Both my parents smoked and my Mom quit when she almost died from a heart problem caused by smoking at age 52. And my Dad quit when he was diagnosed with liver cancer at a much older age. Both quilt cold turkey so maybe it takes getting the crap scared out of you to stop.

And between Oncesubtle and me I hope we are doing some scaring.

Last edited by simpsca on Wed May 11, 2011 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed May 11, 2011 3:32 pm

And then, maybe they should show a pic of the Marlboro man in his present condition to really gross everyone out. Dig the sucker up.

As a former three pack a day smoker who quit cold turkey years ago and hasn't puffed since, I will assure you that it is just about the hardest habit to get rid of, and years later, you may still miss it. Women find it harder to quit than men.....it's a biological thing.
However...........I highly recommend doing so. Among other things, non-smokers get fewer wrinkles and their voices sound better. That is, if they aren't an habitual screecher who learned how to laugh from a coyote in pain. I mentioned that since we were seated next to a whole table of them on Sunday. We didn't linger.

Smokealot

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by locogringo Wed May 11, 2011 4:50 pm

It took 2 heart attacks, 2 angioplasties, a triple bypass and a pacemaker/defib device for me to quit. My wife has had a portion of a lung removed and has lung cancer and still can't quit. Nasty habit. I quit cold turkey, the most difficult thing I have ever done.
locogringo
locogringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed May 11, 2011 5:00 pm

locogringo wrote:It took 2 heart attacks, 2 angioplasties, a triple bypass and a pacemaker/defib device for me to quit. My wife has had a portion of a lung removed and has lung cancer and still can't quit. Nasty habit. I quit cold turkey, the most difficult thing I have ever done.

WOW!!
Lucky me.......all I wound up with was chronic bronchitis, several bouts of pneumonia and permanent trouble with high altitudes.

However, you and I and your wife are still above ground. Your poor wife. I feel for her, since it was so hard for me. A friend of mine has now tried "smokeless" cigs, Wellbutrin, various patches..........and for a while it works. You know that story.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed May 11, 2011 5:45 pm

Yeah I've tried most remedies but the longest I have ever gotten is about 6 months. Problem is I never feel any better after quitting. In fact I feel far worse with all the anxiety, weight gain, etc. Plus I really enjoy smoking. Now I do only smoke about 1/2 pack day or less unless I'm drinking and partying.

Smokealot
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Wed May 11, 2011 5:49 pm

When I quit 6 years ago yesterday I was waiting for all the wondrous promises which never came to pass. Food doesn't taste any differently, no more energy than before, etc., etc. And I smoked at least 4 packs a day and started smoking when I was 13.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Thu May 12, 2011 10:52 am

CanuckBob wrote:What!!!!!!!.....your momma didn't raise any quitters RB. Fire up another lung dart and fogedaboutit.

Smokealot
You're right Bob, I quit quitting after the last attempt, thanks to taking the 'miracle drug' Chantix. That is one powerful drug, sumbitch made me quit drinking! Saved a ton of money over the past year on beer and tequila but still smoke, sumbitch, the sunsets are duller now and the parties not as much fun but by golly, I tried. Shocked
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu May 12, 2011 1:33 pm

Keep on keeping on, guys...............may you live long and prosper anyway. Personally, I know I wouldn't still be here.

But y'know, there's always some 103 year old person being interviewed and saying they down a quart of booze and a bunch of cigarettes daily.........so who knows?

Smokealot Beer Beer

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by shirley Fri May 13, 2011 8:39 am

Quitting is a state of mind - if you don't really want to, you won't quit.

I quit when I was 23 years old and went out to shovel the driveway and could not because I couldn't catch my breath - disgusting!

Then started again at 27 when partying, quit again at 31 when I got "married" and haven't smoked since.......let's just say that was a few years ago Very Happy
shirley
shirley

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Fri May 13, 2011 8:49 am

My brother quit when he was 28 - got the flu so bad he could hardly breathe for 2 weeks. He had pneumonia as a child so the congestion with the flu was really bad - so bad he could not inhale a cigarette. He had tried to quit other times and couldn't. So he thought since he had been two weeks without cigarettes he was probably over the worst of it and stopped. I guess when you are sick with the flu and can't breathe you are so miserable it doesn't matter if you are miserable from not smoking also.

Last edited by simpsca on Fri May 13, 2011 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri May 13, 2011 10:57 am

simpsca wrote:My brother quit when he was 28 - got the flu so bad he could hardly breathe for 2 weeks. He had pneumonia as a child so the congestion with the flu was really bad - so bad he could not inhale a cigarette. He had tried to quit other times and couldn't. Do he thought since he had been two weeks without cigarettes he was probably over the worst of it and stopped. I guess when you are sick with the flu and can't breathe you are so miserable it doesn't matter if you are miserable from not smoking also.

Perfect description of the kind of motivation it sometimes takes. I remember it well.

On the other hand, there was the guy who met the cookware salesman at the door inhaling a cigarette through a hole in his throat after surgery for whatever it was. Freaked the salesman out and he fled. Freaked out everybody he told the story to, too. Shocked

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Fri May 13, 2011 9:45 pm

If you think your lungs get coated andnasty look what it will do to your computer..

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/26/ventblockers_2/page4.html

Last edited by espíritu del lago on Fri May 13, 2011 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : link did not take)
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Mon May 16, 2011 9:15 am

Eeewww! THAT is nasty! Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder