INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bacon at American Legion-Great-but where do they buy?

+7
Tony_In_Mexico
Splashingcolor
Smartalex
itsme
Lady Otter Latté
Pedro
sm1mex
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bacon at American Legion-Great-but where do they buy? Empty Bacon at American Legion-Great-but where do they buy?

Post by sm1mex Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:37 pm

We were told at American legion they buy their bacon from a butcher in the permanent Mercado in Chapala, but no one could tell us which butcher they buy it from. Does anyone know, or who in the Mercado has the maple/honey cured type bacon?

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Bacon at American Legion-Great-but where do they buy? Empty Re: Bacon at American Legion-Great-but where do they buy?

Post by Pedro Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:46 pm

there are 3 butchers at the mercado who all sell bacon sliced to order. i don't believe that they have maple/honey cured. all 3 slice from no name big chunks and is the best bacon i've ever had. less nitrites than NOB so you don't want to buy a lot at a time.
there is a food forum on here where this has been discussed before
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Bacon at American Legion-Great-but where do they buy? Empty Re: Bacon at American Legion-Great-but where do they buy?

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:16 pm

According to RVGringo, the American Legion buys its bacon from the first butcher on the left as you enter the Mercado by the main entrance. He said on TOB that, “The bacon is just around the corner to your left, in the glass case. We ask for it to be sliced double thickness; doble grueso, por favor.”
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:38 pm

over the years we have discovered that all 3 are equal and the one that rv mentioned charges more.. i am having a raw bacon sandwich as i speak. yes raw.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:40 pm

Okay.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sm1mex Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:45 pm

We'll check them out and see who has Mexican prices for their bacon !

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sm1mex Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:50 pm

I searched the food forum and could only come up with Canadian Bacon or not. Couldn't find the blog of just regular bacon recommendations.

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:33 pm

i couldn't either but there have been numerous discussions on here about the 3 main butchers at the chapala mercado. i said i have bought regular bacon from all 3 and they are all of good quality and probably from the same supplier. they cut from a large chunk of smoked pork belly. my only complaint has been that usually it's very lean but that's kinda good if ya eat it raw like i do sometimes.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:47 pm

sm1mex wrote:We'll check them out and see who has Mexican  prices for their bacon !  
they all have "mexican" prices. only his bacon for some reason costs more but the difernce ain't huge.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sm1mex Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:00 pm

That's good to know they are fair to all.

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by itsme Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:24 pm

The waiter at the Legion told me to ask for "the American cut".

itsme
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Smartalex Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:36 pm

Try this link...

http://www.insidelakeside.com/t13929-mr-bull-meat-market-across-from-ajijic-clinic-hospital
Smartalex
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sm1mex Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:46 pm

I was in Mr. Bull's yesterday and bought 2 beautiful rib eye steaks, but I didn't see any bacon, however, I didn't ask for it. Perhaps in the back in the cooler.

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:54 pm

itsme wrote:The waiter at the Legion told me to ask for "the American cut".
that sounds weird as everyone else just asks for tocino which is espanol fer bacon or ya just point at that big chunk with a polite por favor. than ya snap her 2 fingers tagether ta indicate thin and ya tell them gracias. maybe ya don't gotta ask i just recall Rolling Eyes until they get ta know ya as soon as they set eyes on yer foreigness they will cut it obscenely thick[american cut?]-SNORK!
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:57 pm

where is this mister bulls in chapala?
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sm1mex Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:12 pm

Mr. Bull is a new meat market just west of Gossips and the grain lady store, lake side across from Ajijic Clinic Hospital. It is really nice.

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:20 pm

Sm1mex, looking forward to hearing your Bacon Reports as you continue the search for the perfect bacon.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sm1mex Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:16 am

Will let you know. We usually go to the Creameria place in Joco, but a long way to drive just for bacon. Trying to find a closer place.

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:21 am

sm1mex wrote:Mr. Bull is a new meat market just west of Gossips and the grain lady store, lake side across from Ajijic Clinic Hospital.  It is really nice.
on the other thread alex said there is a "mr bull" in chapala. there is no need for us to go to ajijic since we can walk to shop in chapala. about once a month we do go to wallyworld or soriana.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sm1mex Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:26 am

There is a new Mr. Bull in Ajijic just west of Gosspis and the grain store, lake side. I don't know of the Mr. Bull in Chapala.

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Splashingcolor Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:30 am

El Torito for bacon.  Ask for Corona thick slice.
Splashingcolor
Splashingcolor
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Profound yet witty

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony_In_Mexico Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:45 am

Splashingcolor wrote:El Torito for bacon.  Ask for Corona thick slice.
Ugh, the stuff in the package just doesn't compare. Although Corona isn't nearly as bad as Fud. Whatever you do, don't get Fud bacon. I kid you not, it doesn't even smell good when it cooks. How can bacon not smell good when it cooks?

Tony_In_Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Consistantly misunderstood

Back to top Go down

Post by Splashingcolor Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:48 am

I didn't say it was packaged. It's at the meat counter. You have to ask the meat man for tosino corona thick slice. El Torito is the only meat market that carries corona bacon.
Splashingcolor
Splashingcolor
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Profound yet witty

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:07 am

I agree, Saul at the Oso Creameria in Joco has killer-good bacon. I once caught a glimpse of the wrapper as they were thick-slicing it for me and it was Corona. I'm pretty sure the bacon that we buy at the Chapala Mercado, just as you go in by the stairs on the left is Corona as well. When it is sliced thick it makes all the difference. The Corona in the package is not bad but not as good as the thick slices from the slab.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by jeano.gal Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:12 pm

Pedro wrote:where is this mister bulls in chapala?

Pedro, Mr. Bull is on Madero #445 in Chapala.
jeano.gal
jeano.gal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next