INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buying comfortable furniture in Lakeside

+16
RVGRINGO
Canmex 87
martygraw
gringal
slainte39
Trailrunner
juanrey
PoCo2012
Flamingo
Gamina
Zedinmexico
hockables
Ezzie
Rosa Venus
CanuckBob
pamarie
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Buying comfortable furniture in Lakeside Empty Buying comfortable furniture in Lakeside

Post by pamarie Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:16 pm

I am very excited I am finally taking the leap and moving to Lakeside this June! I've been following this site for some time and posted back some time about whether I could live on a small income there. Fortunately I'm able to move down sooner than planned and thru posting through this great forum, I met someone who is moving there at the same time that I am planning to and they are kind enough to share a ride drive there giving me some ample space to bring my housewares in their trailer but the best thing is they welcomed my dog. Not only all this but they offered renting their casita to me! I'm feeling very blessed to meet this incredibly wonderful family moving there from Oregon like me!  I don't plan to bring any furniture, maybe a wicker chair and another small chair if there is room but really plan to sell all my furniture and buy new once there.  Soooo my questions are?

Where does one go to buy a good American style comfortable couch in Lakeside, like a couch with two Lazy boy pull outs at each end for example? And what would something like that go for there?
What are the prices for a nice small sectional with a chaise lounge as part of it? 
How much and where does one go at Lakeside to buy a new bed, are there tempurpedic beds there to purchase new? What is the cost if so? 

I see there are plenty of thrift shops selling beautiful accent pieces and tables, but most of the furniture I see in the furnished rentals for the living rooms looks very uncomfortable to me. So I plan to eventually purchase new furnishings for my own personal comfort. 

I appreciate any feedback anyone has to offer, and thank you all ahead! So much to do to get ready for this new exciting adventure, which I can hardly believe is happening! I will be so happy once we are there in Ajijic! Until then I'll be bitting my nails once we cross the border!  Praying hard and strong that we arrive safe n sound all in tow safely and soundly!

pamarie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Buying comfortable furniture in Lakeside Empty Re: Buying comfortable furniture in Lakeside

Post by CanuckBob Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:31 pm

There is a furniture store beside Sunrise restaurant in San Antonio that sells Lazy Boy and Palliser products. It isn't cheap though. We bought a leather loveseat that has two recliners and a matching reclining chair and ottoman for about $2800 USD. They also sell high end mattresses and such but again it isn't cheap.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Buying comfortable furniture in Lakeside Empty Re: Buying comfortable furniture in Lakeside

Post by Rosa Venus Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:51 pm

Quality furniture is definitely NOT inexpensive here. If you can be patient, once you're down here, your best bet is to look for things that people are selling because they have to move back north.

Otherwise, it just depends on your budget.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:52 pm

There are a couple of charity-run stores on the main road going from Chapala on through, as well as a number of good garage sales on a regular basis as well as some commercially run used furniture stores. Barbara's Bazaar in Ajijic on 16 de Septiembre has some very gently used furnishings, too. All worth checking out before plunking down money for new furnishings.
You'll probably need to buy a good mattress from one of the new furnishings stores.
Good luck on your journey, and welcome.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Ezzie Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:27 pm

The furniture manufacturing industry for Jalisco is centered in the town of Ocotlan which is nearby - assuming your are OK with Mexican made furniture and styles. Prices are reported to be much better than going into the large furniture outlets in Guadalajara. There are several showrooms along the highway (35) between Poncitlan and Ocotlan. These are towns on the La Barca highway about 15-20 km. east of the Chapala-Guadalajara Hwy.

Ezzie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Aka "El Grillo"

Back to top Go down

Post by pamarie Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:28 pm

Thanks everyone for all the fast responses about buying new or good quality used furniture that is comfortable, it's definitely still much cheaper than paying a moving company to haul what I own now. I figure with the sale of all my furniture and selling my car will afford me the opportunity to buy new stuff there.  I will definitely invest in a brand new mattress cause I will just feel better about sleeping on new bedding.

pamarie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:29 pm

Liverpool in Guadalajara.
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:40 pm

CanuckBob wrote:There is a furniture store beside Sunrise restaurant in San Antonio that sells Lazy Boy and Palliser products. It isn't cheap though. We bought a leather loveseat that has two recliners and a matching reclining chair and ottoman for about $2800 USD. They also sell high end mattresses and such but again it isn't cheap.

Furniture for less. We bought Palliser and are happy. Yep not cheap but comfort that's worth a fortune for TV or Reading time. We pick up used recliners/ over stuffed chairs one at a time over time. Expect to pay a fair price for used zero clearance lazy boys for example. Palliser while Canadian design has a factory here in Mexico.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by pamarie Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:56 pm

Are there any websites to the stores that sell the comfortable seating as mentioned? I would love to browse their furniture online if possible. I assume the stores mentioned in this thread don't have their products listed online to review but thought I would ask anyway. Thx everyone!

pamarie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamina Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:27 pm

A lot of Mexican furniture is uncomfortable except for upholstered furniture but it is expensive. Shortly after I moved here I bought a recliner and have been happy ever since. After looking at $600US recliners I finally found one of good quality both in construction and fabric for $350US, but it took a LOT of looking. No matter where I move and the condition of the furniture, I have my recliner.

You can have mattresses cleaned just like upholstery here. Occasionally you can find a good buy on a mattress but they are few and far between. At least you don't have to by a box for your mattress.

There are a number of us here from Oregon. Good luck!
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:43 pm

Costco sells the sofa + recliners but I have no idea what they charge. You could look on Costco.mx. There is a tempurpedic mattress store in Guad but again, I have no idea the cost. Here is a link to the stores - check the Outlet for sales items. (prices are in pesos before you faint) http://www.tempur.com.mx/tiendas.aspx
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by PoCo2012 Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:00 am

We bought a queen sized bed and platform at Mr. Rest in Ajijic (don't think I would buy a used bed) for about $4600P. It is a reasonable price for a very nice bed; mattress and platform is the way typical beds are here, not the mattress, box spring and frame typical back home. He was beside Paninos but has moved to just behind the vacant lot between Hole in One and the Pharmacia. There is a big sign. He even delivered it for no extra charge to the southside, about an hours drive and almost beat us back here. Delivery guys always position your purchase and take away all the cardboard/plastic packaging.
And Welcome! It is a wonderful place to live.
PoCo2012
PoCo2012
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:35 am

There is also a high end bed shop beside iShop at the Laguna Mall. It looks like they have box springs and frames similar to up north.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:23 am

...on the lighter side: Sometime before Christmas, Walmart put up the big tree and positioned their version of a recliner chair next to it. Visions of cheer, etc.
Before long, the vinyl developed a split on one chair arm where it connects with the side. The good part is that the self-same sample chair now resides, rip and all, in their furniture section.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by juanrey Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:08 pm

Going to be hard to find websites that you can browse for furniture.
Mattresses - there's a store in Centro Laguna shopping center, across from Walmart, that has a pretty wide range of bedding.
Furniture - remember that if you decide to buy used you can get things reupholstered at a very reasonable price. If you want NOB styles you are going to be limited, but if willing to run all over in Guadalajara you can probably find what you want. And it probably won't be cheap.
juanrey
juanrey
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : George Carlin

https://sites.google.com/site/ouradventureinchapala/

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:26 pm

Looking for US stuff is getting easier, but will still cause great frustration and a much thinner wallet. Relax, get used to pounding the pavement instead of the keyboard, and you will soon adapt to new ways to shop. Everything is available, but can be hard to find for a newbie.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamina Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:40 pm

As I said, get a good recliner and don't worry about the rest of the living room furniture. Nobody is going to sit on it for more than a few hours so don't worry about how comfortable it is. Worry about your own sitting or lying comfort.
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by pamarie Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:19 pm

Well I appreciate all the info from those of you with experience there. I was just wondering if any of the stores had websites to get an idea to prepare ahead, to see if the store carries what I'm hoping to find. Also because I have pretty bad arthritis in my knees walking a lot is very painful. I hope to have comfortable sitting room for visitors even if I don't have many, I like having it available. I can just figure it over time, cause I won't be in a big rush! That's the beauty of retiring, right? I hear loud n clear it will be expensive to buy new stuff, yet everyone has said it's still cheaper to buy the furniture you want instead of moving what you have. So I take that's mean it's still cheaper to buy new than the cost of shipping ones furniture. Surely a nice couch and recliner and new bed won't run me 6000.USD right? Otherwise I may as well pay a moving company and just ship my stuff, right?

pamarie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:21 pm

RVGRINGO wrote:Looking for US stuff is getting easier, but will still cause great frustration and a much thinner wallet.  Relax, get used to pounding the pavement instead of the keyboard, and you will soon adapt to new ways to shop. Everything is available, but can be hard to find for a newbie.

As usual, RVG is right. . ."Relax, get used to pounding the pavement instead of the keyboard. . ."

One of the best things about moving here is getting out and exploring the area, finding the things you want and need, negotiating with the sellers, discovering substitutions if you can't find exactly what you want, making mistakes(!), meeting new people, and picking up a few new Spanish words in the process. It's called exploring, that's half the fun of living here!

Most stores here don't have websites. Most Mexicans don't answer emails - especially in English. Most won't negotiate over the phone, and some don't even have a phone.

Just make your move, it'll all work out.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:43 pm

I think the lady said she wasn't up to pounding much pavement.

"Also because I have pretty bad arthritis in my knees walking a lot is very painful."

Suggestion: price out how much it would cost to have your favorite stuff crated and shipped here. Warehouse it until you find a place to live. We used Seymi for transporting a bunch of our stuff. Never regretted that. It was like having "old friends" in our new place. We added plenty of practical Mexican furnishings afterwards. I found a very comfortable swivel rocker for 650 pesos at a used furniture sale. Recovering it in a more lovable color will be way cheaper than buying it new. Maybe a combination of shipping and some buying after arrival is a way to go.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:57 pm

I thought that was strange advice for someone with bad arthritic knees and obviously no vehicle.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:40 pm

This lady has several issues to deal with upon arrival, and the easiest route may be to find a furnished place that accepts dogs (the latter being an important issue) and which is located near enough to everything that buses and taxis are handy.  Later, the shopping could be more easily accomplished.  I checked out one of your advertisers (Hotel Perico) and saw a dog romping around in one of the photos..........so that might be a possibility. The rates for the units seem very reasonable.

I've noticed that Costco usually has good quality basic seating, as in couches and chairs, reclining and otherwise; that the prices are fair and the folks who take those weekly orders, shop there, and bring the goods to your door can be useful.  You don't need a Costco card when dealing with them, and they have websites to view.  That would be Lakeside Express or Cynthia Ornelas.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by martygraw Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:45 pm

You just missed one of the biggest furniture sales of the year put on by Mubles Placentia and held at Expo Guadalajara. Mubles Placentia has a few big stores in the city, one located on Lopez Mateao another on Federalisimo. You can goggle there web site.
martygraw
martygraw
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Canmex 87 Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:16 pm

martygraw wrote:You just missed one of the biggest furniture sales of the year put on by Mubles Placentia and held at Expo Guadalajara. Mubles Placentia has a few big stores in the city, one located on Lopez Mateao another on Federalisimo. You can goggle there web site.

http://www.mueblesplacencia.com/

Canmex 87
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:02 pm

I missed the arthritis part, if it was mentioned prior to my post.
I also forgot to mention that finding what you want is much more difficult, and often more expensive, than having what you want made for you locally. We used a couple of furniture makers ten and 13 years ago, but they are no longer there. There are others if you ask around.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next