INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Burglaries

+25
mexicobear
Pedro
DaveP
CanuckBob
Lady Otter Latté
slainte39
brigitte
gringal
Mainecoons
addtocart
sampati
gpbasap
Smartalex
Ms.Thang
natbug
Tony_In_Mexico
RVGRINGO
arbon
Clueless
viajero
hockables
artesialulu
JayBear
the virginian
Intercasa
29 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Burglaries Empty Burglaries

Post by Intercasa Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:53 pm

They are on the rise again in downtown Chapala. Supposedly same person has been caught and released. Not sure if police are at fault, municipal judge, somebody in local government or ministerio publico. It apparently keeps happening. Everybody needs to report crime as you may be next, if you do not get results complain to your consulate and Derechos Humanos, the criminal you allow to get away due to your being too busy to file reports and follow up may rob or kill someone else.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Burglaries Empty Re: Burglaries

Post by the virginian Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:12 pm

I'm moving to Chapala in six weeks and this is very disturbing to me.

the virginian

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:20 pm

Burglaries happen everywhere, just check your house carefuly with the eyes of a burglar and see what you can do to increase the security.These things go in waves, and move around the area.

What Intercasa says is so important. Report crime to the Ministerio Publico if you hope to have anyone convicted.

Many people get frustrated with the MP and do not bother to report crime to them . Each report count in a conviction, if you do not report to the MP you are helping a criminal to escape justice or to do less time because he may have one conviction versus 10... People here are their own worst enemies. Many of us are retired but do not have the time...
Report to the MP, the police is not enough and will not help to convict a criminal.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:09 pm

The Virginian, please do reconsider your move here. If you are very disturbed by things like this then Lakeside may not be the place for you. There is crime here. And it can come in waves. Some people can handle that and some people can't. Seriously consider if you can before making such a big and expensive move.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by JayBear Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:19 pm

I think the Virginian may be more successful living here than people who come down here and think, "It's paradise--what could happen?" Lots of people move in and get burgled before they get their security in place--they leave a window open, gate unlocked, car outside instead of parked inside the gate, doors unlocked on the car, etc. Take reasonable security precautions and don't advertise your wealth.

JayBear
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by the virginian Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:47 pm

Lady Otter, I lived in Washington DC when it was the murder capital of the U.S...I hardly think the low level of crime in a Mexican hick town is going to dissuade me from moving there. The burglary doesn't disturb me..its the whole "on the rise again" statement when put it in context with the other crime waves I've read about. I would be a fool to not be disturbed by an uptick in burglaries in a neighborhood in which I expect to live with my teenage kids.

the virginian

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:54 pm

I agree, which is why I suggested you rethink your decision--even more now that you have shared your opinion of Chapala as a "Mexican hick town."
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:02 pm

Virginia, you are learning that the standard reaction of some here to any comment about real or perceived deficiencies is to tell you to leave or not to come. Ignore it.

BTW, Chapala is our local metropolis and the seat of government. Hence, they take everyone's money and spend (at least what they don't steal) on Chapala and everyone else is expected to fend for themselves. Hence, there are advantages to living there, you might actually see some minimal level of the government services we are all paying for.

Avoiding burglary is all about making your home hard to break into. If you are going to rent, pay very close attention to the security of the property before you sign on the dotted line.

I lived in D.C. too. It wasn't just the murder capital it is a general crime capital. Here, crime against the person is rare. They like to steal stuff if you make it easy for them to do so, but they don't mug you and then try to kill you like they do in D.C.

Come on down!
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by artesialulu Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:05 pm

the virginian wrote:Lady Otter, I lived in Washington DC when it was the murder capital of the U.S...I hardly think the low level of crime in a Mexican hick town is going to dissuade me from moving there. The burglary doesn't disturb me..its the whole "on the rise again" statement when put it in context with the other crime waves I've read about. I would be a fool to not be disturbed by an uptick in burglaries in a neighborhood in which I expect to live with my teenage kids.

Nice attitude getting started here. Maybe Detroit would be a better pick for you.
artesialulu
artesialulu
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:10 pm

Virginia, you are learning that the standard reaction of some here to any comment about real or perceived deficiencies is to tell you to leave or not to come. Ignore it.

Also, Virginia we do tend to get an ebb and flow of property crime mostly over time.  You really have to watch out for the NOB press as they tend to present an exaggerated view of these things.

In D.C., I lived on Capitol Hill when it was a changing neighborhood.  We used to joke that the community motto was "Only the Paranoid Survive."  Here a little paranoia about property security and about other drivers on the local roads will serve you well.  But compared to a D.C. or a Detroit, this place really is a paradise when considering crime.

Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by the virginian Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:01 pm

Mainecoons, I've visited Ajijic for a week, and spent a month in Guadalajara with my then 15 year old daughter and my girlfriend. While not a lot of time to assess the situation I think I have realistic expectations as far as what we can expect living in Chapala. I do have some anxiety about moving there, so it's good to hear positive reassuring statements like yours.

You might be happy to know that almost all of the district (esp Capitol Hill) has been gentrified. The demographic has changed considerably too. It's quite likely that there are currently more Mexicans in Wash DC than in Chapala.

I apologize to anyone who was offended by my calling Chapala a hick town, I reacted badly to a snarky comment.

the virginian

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:19 pm

snork... them folks in Chapala get confused with Hicks all the time...

Little pissant crawling thru yer window looking fer yer television can be dissuaded with a can of bear spray and a bat....

No problem

Welcome to Paradise Beer
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:37 pm

You reacted badly to a comment you perceived as "snarky." My response was to someone who sounded unprepared for moving to Chapala in just six weeks. Your subsequent posts reveal someone who is aware and prepared for the reality here. Some people are not and are very unhappy and fearful. I sincerely meant my response based on information in the OP.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:02 am

Virginian, I'm keenly aware of the gentrification of Capitol Hill. I had a Victorian bayfront just off Lincoln Park on Mass Ave. SE. I reconstructed it and sold it for less than $100K. I'm told the last time it sold it went for nearly $2 million. Groan. Shocked
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:59 am

"IF my aunt had balls she would be my uncle" famous French proverb.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:09 am

brigitte wrote:"IF my aunt had balls she would be my uncle"  famous French proverb.
I'm not sure the French can claim that one...
On the other hand,if my uncle had tits he'd be my aunt. Very Happy

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Clueless Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:33 am

Something on security, but first:

"If wishes were horses, beggars would ride" is an English language proverb and nursery rhyme, originating in the 16th century

Two things I believe help security.

1. Dog(s) that bark and;

2. A CCTV security system.

I got one through eBay and brought it down from NOB and it was an easy install by myself. It had 8 cameras, cable, CPU and accessories. All you need is the monitor and you're in business.

My unit cost me under US$100 including shipping to USA. It has all sorts of features and you can upgrade to PTZ and ultra high-def I.R. cameras.

I'm sure it's price is higher now but you might want to check eBay searching for ZMODO.

As I said, went in easy (but I enjoy DIY projects) and haven't had a problem.

Of course common sense in basic security thinking always helps.
Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:42 am

Clueless wrote:Something on security, but first:

"If wishes were horses, beggars would ride" is an English language proverb and nursery rhyme, originating in the 16th century

Two things I believe help security.

1. Dog(s) that bark and;

2. A CCTV security system.

I got one through eBay and brought it down from NOB and it was an easy install by myself. It had 8 cameras, cable, CPU and accessories. All you need is the monitor and you're in business.

My unit cost me under US$100 including shipping to USA. It has all sorts of features and you can upgrade to PTZ and ultra high-def I.R. cameras.

I'm sure it's price is higher now but you might want to check eBay searching for ZMODO.

As I said, went in easy (but I enjoy DIY projects) and haven't had a problem.

Of course common sense in basic security thinking always helps.

********************************************************************************************
In Hoxx's Humble Opinion

#1 in security = good neighbors
#2 motion activated lights
#3 CCD Cameras
#4 alarms ( piss your neighbors off more than anything )
#5 a parrot trained to say " Who is it?" Beer
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:57 am

some of us live in chapala neighbourhoods where there virtually is no crime to "spike". i have parked my truck on the street for almost 9 years have inadvertently left the window open the doors unlocked on more than one occasion and nothing happened . a long time ago i did leave a bag of dog food in the back fer a coupla weeks and it was stolen and just recently had my spare tire stolen. WOW-wadda crime wave!
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:57 pm

viajero wrote:
brigitte wrote:"IF my aunt had balls she would be my uncle"  famous French proverb.
I'm not sure the French can claim that one...
On the other hand,if my uncle had tits he'd be my aunt. Very Happy

¿You have an uncle without tits?
arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Humour

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:49 pm

We lived in a house we owned in Ajijic for three years and had a wheel and tire stolen from our vehicle while inside the LCS, taking a Spanish Class.
We lived in a house we owned in Chapala for ten years and had two occasions when neighbors rang the bell and handed us the keys we had left in the door. On another occasion, the police came in the wee small hours to protect our home, as we had somehow left one of the garage doors open.
Yup....good neighbors are the best security, along with a dog or three.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony_In_Mexico Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:11 am

Agree that Chapala is infinitely safer than any place I ever lived in the states, and that's coming from someone who's lived in multiple states, cities, and towns. Take reasonable precautions as you would anywhere and you should be fine. Get to know your neighbors. I know all the little old ladies on my street. The ones who sit outside all day, watching everything.

The only advice I've seen here with which I take some exception is about dogs. God knows, the last thing we need here is more dogs that do nothing but yap all day. A dog that barks at everything is just as useless as a dog that barks at nothing. It's like a car alarm. It's perceived security, nothing more. What happens when you hear a car alarm? Do you get up and run out to find out who's car is being burgled? Or do you, like everyone, just get annoyed and go about your business, hoping the stupid owner gets it turned off quickly? Dogs are great if they are trained to bark only at people who are invading their territory. If your dog barks at everything that moves you might as well be guarded by a rabbit. Nice to hold, but useless as security. Unless it's from Caerbannog, in which case, God help us all.

Tony_In_Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Consistantly misunderstood

Back to top Go down

Post by natbug Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:21 am

7 dogs, a machete, 2 bats and pepper spray, nuff said.

natbug
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by artesialulu Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:30 am

natbug wrote:7 dogs, a machete, 2 bats and pepper spray, nuff said.

Maybe a hot shot cattle prod.
artesialulu
artesialulu
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:10 pm

Tony_In_Mexico wrote:  God knows, the last thing we need here is more dogs that do nothing but yap all day.  A dog that barks at everything is just as useless as a dog that barks at nothing.
AMEN to that!

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next