INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PRESCRIPTION PRICES IN USA

+5
Clueless
arbon
Pedro
Walter
Jim W
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

PRESCRIPTION PRICES IN USA Empty PRESCRIPTION PRICES IN USA

Post by Jim W Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:12 pm

They are skyrocketing. Last year on my AARP prescription plan, I paid $25.00 USD for a 30 day supply.....Simpsca helped me buy the same drug for less than $70.00 for a 28 day supply, in September. .

Down to 3 day supply went to pharmacy and the new price is $325.00 USD 30 days for the same drug..........XARELTO, 20mg. It is a blood thinner.

So Deb and I will make the run:31: to Nogales.....meanwhile aspirin is my friend.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

PRESCRIPTION PRICES IN USA Empty Re: PRESCRIPTION PRICES IN USA

Post by Jim W Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:32 pm

It is getting better....AARP ......they have gone from the above stated to $383.00 for a 3 month supply.....you can buy same In Mexico for $60.00....$280.00 USD. for a 3 month supply......USD. And btw....I have AARP for prescription meds. This sucks, but happy we live 2 hours from the border, and can take advantage of SOB pricing.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Walter Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:55 pm

In Canada, my liver pills went fron $846/ 6mos, in Oct 2013 to $1109 in Nov. 2014. Thank-you Big Pharma!
Walter
Walter
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:09 pm

Walter wrote:In Canada, my liver pills went fron $846/ 6mos, in Oct 2013 to $1109 in Nov. 2014. Thank-you Big Pharma!

Walter, Have you checked the price in Mexico? Unless it is Peyote lol! should be cheaper and no prescription required! cheers
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:14 pm

i'm sure walter knows that rx here is cheaper than in the excited states and roughly about the same as in canuckleheadland or less. he ain't a newbee.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:29 pm

Walter wrote:In Canada, my liver pills went fron $846/ 6mos, in Oct 2013 to $1109 in Nov. 2014. Thank-you Big Pharma!

Don't you or your liver drugs qualify for Pharma Care in Canada....but only 90 days supply each time.

We've been on Phamacare for 15 years, in BC.
arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Humour

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:34 pm

Pedro wrote:i'm sure walter knows that rx here is cheaper than in the excited states and roughly about the same as in canuckleheadland or less. he ain't a newbee.

What no pharmacare in Alberta?
arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:45 am

Welcome to PharmaCare for B.C. (residents)

BC PharmaCare helps B.C. residents with the cost of eligible prescription drugs and certain medical supplies. It provides access to drug therapy through several drug plans. The largest is the income-based Fair PharmaCare plan.

For most PharmaCare plans, you must be actively enrolled in the Medical Services Plan of B.C. (MSP).

Once you are eligible for PharmaCare coverage, any portion of your prescription cost covered by PharmaCare is calculated at the time of purchase. You pay only the costs not covered by PharmaCare.
Pharmacare
arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

PRESCRIPTION PRICES IN USA Empty If anyone needs Plavix or Lipitor, I have some very cheap;

Post by Clueless Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:43 pm

Half of what the pharmacies here charge.

I just got them last month but don't need them now since I cut my other stuff in half.

No pun but prices of meds AND medical care NOB are sickening.
Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:51 pm

that's the other reason we don't ever want to travel there because if we get hospitalized the hospital will have access to our canadian bank account and no doubt bankrupt us.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:35 pm

I am curious, does anyone know or had a medical emergency while vacationing in Canada? What was the cost? I have a few Canadian friends that drive from BC thru the US to Lakeside......what does it cost, for 5 day travel for medical coverage driving thru? I do know the problem in the USA is there is no tort reform. If we are traveling thru Canada and they screw up, is there a legal option?
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by BobC Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:54 pm

It would be about 20 years ago when my wife's then 92-year-old grandmother moved back to Canada from the US. She had to purchase private insurance to cover her for the 3 months she had to wait before she was covered by the government plan. The cost was about $300. I remember being quite surprised at how little it was. I don't think there was any significant deductible

I've purchased travel insurance for trips to the US as well as other places in the world and it's never been too high. I have a lot of medical issues but my recollection is for the two of us for multiple trips to the US for a year (maximum stay something like 10 days) was a little over $1000. Of course, the insurance company knows that we will be reimbursed for some of the costs by our provincial plan.

If you would like some specific numbers, I can probably get them for you.

Bob

BobC
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Any kind

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:04 pm

Please provide your sources Bob. I am told the cost for medical insurance for travel is far less. I will research and provide my info.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by BobC Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:35 pm

Jim W wrote:Please provide your sources Bob.   I am told the cost for medical insurance for travel is far less.  I will research and provide my info.  

Jim:

Yes, I'm sure coverage for a single trip of, say, 10 days would be very small.

Is that what you are thinking of?

I can certainly find out what it would cost if purchased up here. It may or may not be cheaper if bought in the US.

Bob

BobC
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by BobC Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:43 pm

BobC wrote:
Jim W wrote:Please provide your sources Bob.   I am told the cost for medical insurance for travel is far less.  I will research and provide my info.  

Jim:

I can certainly find out what it would cost if purchased up here. It may or may not be cheaper if bought in the US.

Bob

I just did a quick search on CAA (AAA) Travel Insurance for visitors. I put in a single male, same age as me (69) for an 11-day visit. It came up with something like $115 for what looks like pretty good coverage.

You can check it yourself. Just Google CAA Travel Insurance.

Bob

BobC
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by BobC Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:44 pm

BobC wrote:

Jim:

Bob

I just did a quick search on CAA (AAA) Travel Insurance for visitors. I put in a single male, same age as me (69) for an 11-day visit. It came up with something like $115 for what looks like pretty good coverage.

You can check it yourself. Just Google CAA Travel Insurance.

Bob

BobC
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:57 pm

Thanks Bob, So Pedro worries about losing his ass is bull shit......once again. $115.00 is cheap coverage. Bob, what does it cost for coverage for travel to Canada, for us poor people visiting Canada?
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by BobC Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:14 pm

Jim W wrote:Thanks Bob, So Pedro worries about losing his ass is bull shit......once again.  $115.00 is cheap coverage.  Bob, what does it cost for coverage for travel to Canada, for us poor people visiting Canada?  

That was for a visitor to Canada. I'll look and see what the same trip would cost for a Canadian visiting the US.

Bob

BobC
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by BobC Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:29 pm

BobC wrote:
Jim W wrote:Thanks Bob, So Pedro worries about losing his ass is bull shit......once again.  $115.00 is cheap coverage.  Bob, what does it cost for coverage for travel to Canada, for us poor people visiting Canada?  

That was for a visitor to Canada. I'll look and see what the same trip would cost for a Canadian visiting the US.

Bob

I had trouble getting an online quote from CAA so I tried another company, Medipac, one of the big ones. They provide insurance to retired government and military as well as to retail customers.

They quote for a 69-year-old non-smoker, Ontario resident, in otherwise good health, three levels of coverage. I'm not sure of the levels of each, but this will give you an idea: $75.90, $143.00 and $179.30. This was with zero deductible.

Bob

BobC
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:50 pm

Pedro wrote:that's the other reason we don't ever want to travel there because if we get hospitalized the hospital will have access to our canadian bank account and no doubt bankrupt us.
i stick by this.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by BobC Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:16 am

Pedro wrote:
Pedro wrote:that's the other reason we don't ever want to travel there because if we get hospitalized the hospital will have access to our canadian bank account and no doubt bankrupt us.
i stick by this.

Pedro, you may know something I don't, but I don't see how they would "have access to [your] bank account." Yes, they could sue in a Canadian court and may or may not get a judgement--which could certainly bankrupt someone. That is why I would NEVER cross the border without travel insurance.

I friend of ours had a mild heart attack in Florida a couple of years ago and needed a stent inserted in an artery. After the stent was inserted, she needed a couple of days in hospital. (Their insurance company, which happened to be Medipac, wanted to bring her back to Canada right away, but her US doctor said no.) I forget how many days she spent in hospital, but it wasn't many-- 3 or 4, maybe. The bill was something over USD130,000. I shudder to think what a full bypass would have cost!

Entering the US from Mexico would, indeed, be scary. I hope there is good travel insurance available down there. Travel insurance purchased in Canada will only cover you if the trip originated in Canada.

Bob

BobC
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:20 am

I just bought medical insurance for a 7 day trip to Phoenix. It was $41.00 USD. It has a $1,000,000 limit and a $500 deductible. Of course it doesn't cover any pre-existing conditions.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:37 am

CanuckBob wrote:I just bought medical insurance for a 7 day trip to Phoenix. It was $41.00 USD. It has a $1,000,000 limit and a $500 deductible. Of course it doesn't cover any pre-existing conditions.

and you are 51, not 60, 65, 70, or 75.
arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:02 am

On our first trip down to Baja (1990), I called into a hospital in San Fran' for 'reflux' and they would not except our travel insurance. (a sister in law was a head nurse in same hospital)

They wanted to have my charge card instead, but I didn't have one.
arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:22 am

Yeah even with this insurance I would be reluctant to use any medical services in the US for fear that the insurance company would screw me. Unless I was down and out I would be more inclined to get my arse back to Mexico on the next flight out.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next