INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A HAZMAT situation. Any chance of a direct answer here.

+3
RVGRINGO
Zedinmexico
Clueless
7 posters

Go down

A HAZMAT situation. Any chance of a direct answer here. Empty A HAZMAT situation. Any chance of a direct answer here.

Post by Clueless Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:01 am

I was cleaning my outside bodega and cam across a bucket of 3" chlorine tablets for a pool. I took all the stuff for tossing away outside.

I started to open the chlorine bucket and was hit with the fumes that literally almost dropped me. I closed the bucket and it took me 15-minutes to "recover."

Apparently from what I have read, the tablets have started to break down and the chlorine gas can be quickly fatal.

So my questions is what should I do with them?

I don't want to toss them into the trash because if the bucket opens up, it could really be bad for someone close.

I really don't want them going into the ground because of the contamination (either the landfill or burying them.

I thought about putting them into my septic tank but found that there is a danger of explosion using swimming pool tablets since the tablets will release an explosive gas called nitrogen chloride due to the fact that they are not totally immersed in water at all times while in use.

I'm assuming there is no HAZMAT facility here run by the government; maybe I'm wrong?

Information on point appreciated.

Thanks.

Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

A HAZMAT situation. Any chance of a direct answer here. Empty Re: A HAZMAT situation. Any chance of a direct answer here.

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:23 am

Do not put in your septic tank it will kill all the stuff digesting whats in the tank.You are not suppose to use chlorine bleach if you have a cesspool or septic tank no less raw chlorine tablets.   You need to look online or get pro help. For time being keep container away from people and insides.  Put container in bigger container with lid and set away from house until you get help.  What you need is water to dump them into while wearing a respirator to avoid the gases. If English look at container and read instructions if any.  I don't think your situation is that bad but it is dangerous if you do the wrong thing. For folks who are saying don't worry about this I am suspicious the tablets are breaking down and are not like containers of tablets that are new.

Ask a pool guy he/she may have seen this before and have a safe solution.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

A HAZMAT situation. Any chance of a direct answer here. Empty Re: A HAZMAT situation. Any chance of a direct answer here.

Post by RVGRINGO Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:48 am

If I had your problem, I would hold my breath and puncture the cover of the bucket and toss the whole thing into a swimming pool and leave it there for a long time.  You might want to confirm that idea with the swimming pool service people in the area. Or, I might just sit the thing in the corner of the yard and ignore it. It is dangerous.
CAUTION: CHLORINE GAS IS DEADLY

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:41 pm

Chlorine gas is a irritant and can cause fatal mucous membrane (lung, eyes. etc.) irritation in sufficient concentration. It is not a systemic toxin like cyanide. Why not take the tablets to a pool maintenance company and see if they will complete the disposal?

Back to top Go down

Post by rs6000 Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:36 pm

Contact the Fire Department and they will contact proteccion Civil who may have a way to dispose of that material.

rs6000

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:25 pm

I wasn't aware chlorine ( dry ) tablets broke down??

hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:46 pm

It isn't so much that the tablets break down as it is that they pick up water from the air and are activated just like in the pool.

Back to top Go down

Post by kb9gzg Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:28 pm

Fire Department
kb9gzg
kb9gzg
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:43 pm

kb9gzg wrote:Fire Department
smart!
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Clueless Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:45 am

Fire department is was.

Thanks.
Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down