INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Canadians living abroad can now vote

5 posters

Go down

Canadians living abroad can now vote Empty Canadians living abroad can now vote

Post by Rolly Sun May 04, 2014 7:08 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/voting-rights-restored-to-canadians-living-abroad-long-term-1.2631760
Rolly
Rolly
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Weird

http://rollybrook.com

Back to top Go down

Canadians living abroad can now vote Empty Re: Canadians living abroad can now vote

Post by TrueBrit Mon May 05, 2014 3:09 pm

US citizens have been able to vote out-of-country for quite a while, but it doesn't seem to make any difference; the Government always gets in.

TrueBrit
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Canadians living abroad can now vote Empty Re: Canadians living abroad can now vote

Post by Zedinmexico Tue May 06, 2014 7:57 am

In fact in Washington State (or at least my county) they will send ballots here by mail if you ask. My wife just received one a short time ago for a ballot measure election for local transit district.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by BobC Tue May 06, 2014 9:13 am

Americans are taxed on their worldwide income, no matter the source or where they live. If they have to pay tax, it makes sense to me that they should vote.

Canadians are taxed on residency. If you want to avoid taxes on income from outside the country (Canadian-sourced income like dividends, pensions, etc. are taxable at special non-resident rates), you must act in a manner consistent with leaving the country permanently-- in effect, cut all ties with Canada. (You can keep your house, but it must be placed in what amounts to a blind trust and and rent that it generates is taxable.)

If I were living and working and earning income outside the country, I would be concerned that voting could be interpreted by the Canada Revenue Agency as keeping my ties and therefore find myself taxable. If I were working in a country that didn't have a tax treaty with Canada, I would be doubly scared because I could find myself paying full tax in both countries. (Mexico has a tax treaty with Canada, as does the US, so taxes paid in one country are generally credited against taxes in the other.)

I don't know if there has been any sort of formal ruling on this or not.

Bob

BobC
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Any kind

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue May 06, 2014 12:27 pm

BobC wrote:Americans are taxed on their worldwide income, no matter the source or where they live. If they have to pay tax, it makes sense to me that they should vote.

Canadians are taxed on residency. If you want to avoid taxes on income from outside the country (Canadian-sourced income like dividends, pensions, etc. are taxable at special non-resident rates), you must act in a manner consistent with leaving the country permanently-- in effect, cut all ties with Canada. (You can keep your house, but it must be placed in what amounts to a blind trust and and rent that it generates is taxable.)

If I were living and working and earning income outside the country, I would be concerned that voting could be interpreted by the Canada Revenue Agency as keeping my ties and therefore find myself taxable. If I were working in a country that didn't have a tax treaty with Canada, I would be doubly scared because I could find myself paying full tax in both countries. (Mexico has a tax treaty with Canada, as does the US, so taxes paid in one country are generally credited against taxes in the other.)

Bob

Very interesting points. I do know that folks have been handed back tax bills who kept there drivers license after leaving the state and returning years later. They now suggest if leaving the country or state and from Califonia to not keep your license to avoid problems like the one your describe.

Also while yes US has treaty with Mexico the credit/deduction only applies to earned income not unearned income If I remember correctly.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Tue May 06, 2014 8:01 pm

BobC wrote:Americans are taxed on their worldwide income, no matter the source or where they live. If they have to pay tax, it makes sense to me that they should vote.

Bob

Canadians are indeed taxed on world income. Have been for many years. One of 3 countries in the world

Canadan Tax preparer for 20+ years

I am willing to help anyone with an interest in Canadian Taxes. Maybe I can save you money
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : A little English

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down