INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bats in clay tile ceiling/roof

+2
Zedinmexico
otrocanuck
6 posters

Go down

Bats in clay tile ceiling/roof Empty Bats in clay tile ceiling/roof

Post by otrocanuck Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:25 pm

I have resident bats in the spaces between the tiles on the clay roof. This causes bat droppings on the inside, each morning we wake to a new batch on the floor of that room. I see them each dawn going back into the cracks at the roof edge, in between the tiles and then I can hear them crawl up the inside space. They must also be able to get under the ridge because there is always droppings on the inside under that. I tried putting moth balls in the area on top of the clay tiles but no change.
Of course the area they are going into that I can see is three stories up and difficult to reach. Any suggestions
otrocanuck
otrocanuck
Share Holder
Share Holder

Location : Mississauga, Point Claire, Edmonton, Saltspring Isl., Nakusp,Chapala,

Back to top Go down

Bats in clay tile ceiling/roof Empty Re: Bats in clay tile ceiling/roof

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:55 pm

Just remember gloves and such.  Bats may have Rabies. Not sure if we have active Rabies around here but I would want to know before I got too close.  Folks do we or do we not have active Rabies in the area???  I have heard both answers.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:57 pm

The bats eating bugs are worth it to me to sweep up each morning. Don't think of it as bat shit but rather dead bugs!
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:37 pm

Mexican Fruit Bats are wonderful creatures. You should get to know them and learn to live together. They are critical to the night pollination of many important flowers and fruits - including the Agave used to make tequila. I have not smelt one, but they apparently swell sweet - like the nectars they gather. Do some research. Maybe build them a bat box where they won't bother anyone.

If you find one flapping around on your deck or yard, they are not dying. The little fellers have to drop off a high point. So get them to climb on a broom, then shake them off high in the air.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:57 pm

Do bats carry rabies here like in Oregon in US?

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:58 pm

We had bats galore living in the tiles, hanging from the brick ceiling over our terraza and leaving poop on the furnishings and the floor.  I totally approve of their function in the world and don't want to kill them.  But....
Someone told us the solution was a "bat light" on the terrazza.  We put on old lamp with a florescent bub in it on a timer and haven't had a turd since.  They must have found another bat motel elsewhere.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:14 pm

Just build, or the have the Hammer guys to build, a bat box. Place it where you could live with them, stuff any holes in the masonry with chicken wire and a long bamboo pole. I love seeing the small colony off our deck in Puerto Vallarta swoop into the twilight. I always raise a toast and say "Fly my children of the night - live, laugh, love and play! - bwahahaha (like Legosi)!"These ones are the Mexican or Jamaican Fruit bats and the certainly don't cross the U.S. border, and they are not in the habit of biting people or pets. They each eat 2,000 insects per night - how many of those which are carrying Dengue and such - I have no idea. Thats a better stat than a $75 Costco Zapper.

There so many types of bats - this is an interesting collection:
http://www.pinterest.com/delia15/bat-house-bats/
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:51 pm

There was one reported case of a puppy with rabies in San Juan Cosala about two years ago. It was suspected that it got the rabies from bats. Former high school department chair told me once bats and rabies go hand in hand. I'm not a scientist, just reporting what I've heard.

The problem with the bats is they make a terrible mess, and if it contains rabies your pets can get into it and you have to clean it up.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:11 pm

Rabies is spread through saliva. A far more likely suspect would be a possum, a rat, another dog, a skunk, etc, etc

Put the bat box over a concrete or plastic sluice - wash it with a garden hose into a bucket, use it on your plants - you have just introduced the world's best organic fertilizer. http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/composting/manures/bat-guano-fertilizer.htm Of course - there are always those who disagree. If you look up guano you will see that it played a pivotal role in the civilization and farming of our planet.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down