INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Detecting pipes and cables when drilling into concrete walls

+4
Pedro
Intercasa
CanuckBob
TrueBrit
8 posters

Go down

Detecting pipes and cables when drilling into concrete walls Empty Detecting pipes and cables when drilling into concrete walls

Post by TrueBrit Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:07 am

I was about to merrily drill a couple of holes into a wall to secure a safe. But then I noted on the other side of the wall was the kitchen sink and to one side the fridge. How do I detect if there are water pipes and/or electrical cables in the wall where I am drilling?

TrueBrit
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Detecting pipes and cables when drilling into concrete walls Empty Re: Detecting pipes and cables when drilling into concrete walls

Post by CanuckBob Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:23 am

Short of an ultrasound I have no idea. Good question.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Detecting pipes and cables when drilling into concrete walls Empty Re: Detecting pipes and cables when drilling into concrete walls

Post by Intercasa Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:55 am

What are you drilling for? Maybe a hammer and chisel might be best way to start opening up the wall to see?
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:27 am

hammer and chisel will get you into less trouble fer sure. them pipes an 'lectricals on the other side should be far enough away ta keep ya outta trouble. well maybe not the agua pipes. be carefull opposit them.
how thick is the wall?
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:11 pm

Also if you do a Google search for: "finding pipes and cables in brick walls", there are numerous articles or forums where this exact topic is discussed.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:37 pm

I'd worry more about water ... and if plastic I can't imagine without opening the wall. If standard install the pipes come straight up from under the slab to the shut off. Fairly easy estimate.

Electric is hard to hit and is probably not near a sink.
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:20 pm

My contractor hit a water pipe and it was a friggin mess. Hade to turn the water off for 24 hours while he picked up his tools, pipe, something to solder/weld the copper pipe,etc....major PITA to say the least.Beer Beer Beer Beer 
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:38 pm

That hardware store in Ajijic across the highway from Farmacia Guadalajara seems to carry a lot professional trade tools. They also sell the heavy duty fasteners, the hammer drill and bits. Those stud and electrical finders are not very useful on masonry walls - they are for drywall, or sheet rock construction
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down