INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Telecable snafu

3 posters

Go down

Telecable snafu Empty Telecable snafu

Post by Ms.Thang Thu May 02, 2013 2:20 pm

Ok we'll I finally got around to emailing telecable today since their phone does not work...they called me within 15 minutes and a technician was at my house within an hour!
I had been having trouble, my connection i was using disappeared and was replaced with one that was open, lots of times when I couldn't get on the Internet even though everything looked good to go...well. The guy reconfigured another connection with a password and told me that the reason I was unable to get on so often is because with an open connection only one computer at a time can log on. ha!
Just wanted to share that...thanks again for all the help.

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Telecable snafu Empty Re: Telecable snafu

Post by ComputerGuy Thu May 02, 2013 5:44 pm

Hi, glad it's working, but can you explain "open connection", please?
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Thu May 02, 2013 6:20 pm

Open connection , unsecured connection, connection without a password...

He did the reconfiguring on the ipad...I didn't realize until after he left that the laptops won't connect to the Internet. It says I have a limited connection. They did not scurry back to my house when I made this discovery, lets see if they come back tomorrow.

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu May 02, 2013 6:40 pm

Okay, the wireless connection was unsecured; that is, it did not have an encryption key associated with it. This is not a reason for losing a connection; it just means anybody can get onto the Internet via that wireless signal.

And he is pulling the wool over your eyes with his definition of "open connection only one computer at a time".

If he set up a secure wireless connection for you, it would be using probably a 10-digit alpha-numeric code; if he had any brains he would have given you that code, which you can now use to connect your laptops.

A limited connection means your wireless is connected, but there is no Internet coming through. That is definitely their problem now.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Thu May 02, 2013 7:06 pm

Yes, he gave me the 10 digit alpha numerical code ( password?) which I did type in to connect my laptops. Yep, they are connected and nope, no Internet access.

Obviously the only one computer at a time B.S. is not true because I have connected at least 3 at a time using that " open connection" .

The ipad will still connect though, maybe two out of three ain't bad? ...except that when he showed up all three we're working fine...sigh.

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by tictoc Fri May 03, 2013 10:11 am

HelperGuy is 100% correct on this. the tech is full of BS if he said only one computer can connect at a time. Your LAN appears to be working. Do me a favor and type the 192.168.1.1 into your url browser. In there, do you see any trouble shooting tools? Such as, does it tell you whether you are connected or not, your connection speed, etc? Then do the same thing on your IPad. Are then the same? if one of them works (ipad), then the other should as well. I'm sorry, I don't know the firmware in your modem so I can't guide you through troubleshooting, but at least I can help you if you can provide screenshots or something. I am suspecting that there is more than one network involved here. Also, are/were you using/tiring to use static IP's? Check your IP settings on the laptops. If you do not have your gateway set correctly, you will not be able to get to the internet. Sorry to hear it is still not working.

tictoc
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Fri May 03, 2013 12:57 pm

Ok, thanks...I am going to have a look right now at the things you asked me to look at. Telecable sent me an email telling me to unplug my modem and then type the 10 digest code in again...I did and that didn't do anything. That was yesterday and now they are ignoring me.

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Fri May 03, 2013 12:58 pm

Ok, thanks...I am going to have a look right now at the things you asked me to look at. Telecable sent me an email telling me to unplug my modem and then type the 10 digest code in again...I did and that didn't do anything. That was yesterday and now they are ignoring me.

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down