INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MIN WAH.....lately?

+7
Rosa Venus
Lady Otter Latté
hockables
ComputerGuy
Trailrunner
CanuckBob
gringal
11 posters

Go down

MIN WAH.....lately? Empty MIN WAH.....lately?

Post by gringal Thu May 02, 2013 11:47 am

Read some reviews on TOB where, like me, the people had been there some years ago, had a very disappointing experience and never returned. In our case, we got semi-warmed over leftovers for lunch. Yuck.

So....anybody been there recently and want to report? I'm open to giving it another chance, if ?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

MIN WAH.....lately? Empty Re: MIN WAH.....lately?

Post by CanuckBob Thu May 02, 2013 12:23 pm

With the slow business, low turnover of ingredients and very warm temperatures I think you take your chances eating out just about anywhere right now. I would be interested in knowing if the food poisoning cases increase during this time of year.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu May 02, 2013 12:38 pm

Min Wah!!!! You're kidding right? Never!

CBob, you are exactly right. Not only that but food left out is subject to contamination from airborne pathogens more so now in this heat.

When I first got here, the docs and nurses at CR warned me against eating seafood and cilantro during the hot weather. The seafood is obvious but the cilantro is because it is so difficult to clean between all the curly little leaves and the contamination this time of year is higher.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu May 02, 2013 2:37 pm

I'd definitely stay away from most buffets and salad bars.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu May 02, 2013 3:04 pm

Yeah but, there may not be a visible salad bar/buffet on the restaurant floor -but the equivalent of one laying about in the kitchen. And, Min Wah is just the kind of place where that might be the case. Be very careful where you eat out these days of tight bottom lines, almost no business, and frugal restaurant owners. Stick to the busy ones where the food is turned over rapidly.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu May 02, 2013 5:40 pm

There is a lot more care taken these days with frozen and cold items here, unlike the situation most old-timers remember. I don't worry about buying shrimp at the fish market; I do worry about the cooks who might not be so careful. It wasn't that long ago that meat trucks drove through town here with the sides of beef on a hook, bouncing precariously over the cobbles; haven't seen that lately, either. (Maybe they just do it at night...)
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Thu May 02, 2013 9:22 pm

Not that I know Shit from Shinola but since Christmas, we have probably been there 4 times... twice bringing along visiting guests... everyone enjoyed the place....
Love their Egg Rolls
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu May 02, 2013 10:48 pm

Best egg rolls in town right now: Bubba's. Rest of his Chinese food? Don't even bother. Not only is it awful, but is weird.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu May 02, 2013 11:44 pm

Chinese food at Bubba´s? The fried chicken and barbeque guy in Riberas? These really are the end days!
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Thu May 02, 2013 11:55 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote:These really are the end days!

No kidding. This afternoon I had to grab something on my own and actually considered Min Wah...........based on the new intel. Nope. Not yet. Not even close to yet.

Ended up having some "trustworthy Itlaian" that was the very definition of mediocre. But at least I'm not dead.

Woo. Hoo.

!Provecho!

Last edited by Rosa Venus on Thu May 02, 2013 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu May 02, 2013 11:57 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote:Chinese food at Bubba´s? The fried chicken and barbeque guy in Riberas? These really are the end days!
He keeps trying... sort of. Only guy I know who's efforts get worse every time. Do you remember the "like White Castle" mini-burgers last year there? Gak.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Fri May 03, 2013 12:14 am

I heard about those "like White Castle" burgers but never got over there to try them because I just knew they were gunna be a big disappointment. But, I DO love egg rolls--and you say they are good?

Oh, hey HelperGuy, MainKook on TOB posted that he wants to talk to you about coming back. Says to get in touch with him. He won´t talk to you on this board because we are dirty, uncouth, ruffians who give him the heebie-geebees. Okay, those were not his EXACT words but that is what I think he meant. Very Happy
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Fri May 03, 2013 12:20 am

And Rosa: I am glad you are not dead. We would miss you.
Sorry the Italian was just mediocre. Where´s you get it?
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri May 03, 2013 8:01 am

HelperGuy wrote:There is a lot more care taken these days with frozen and cold items here, unlike the situation most old-timers remember. I don't worry about buying shrimp at the fish market; I do worry about the cooks who might not be so careful. It wasn't that long ago that meat trucks drove through town here with the sides of beef on a hook, bouncing precariously over the cobbles; haven't seen that lately, either. (Maybe they just do it at night...)

No the sides of meat going to the butcher on the square in Ajijic come in the back of a pickup with a canopy these days. And they hose it out
when they are done.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri May 03, 2013 8:53 am

Thanks for the input about Min Wah. Think I'll continue to take a pass on it.

Yep, about Bubba's. Why is it that people don't "get" that you need to know what you're doing to prepare Chinese food? I had a good laugh when I went to Puritan Poultry (best eggs in town) and saw the sign. My one and only trip to Bubba's was for a breakfast, where the lock on the bathroom door failed and I got trapped in there for awhile. Breakfast wasn't so good, either.

The other one is the "all you can eat catfish". Oh yeah. Catfish. Anti-yum. Rolling Eyes

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri May 03, 2013 9:10 am

"Bubba" hires a woman to come in just to cook the Chinese dishes, three or four days a week. I haven't seen her, but I sure would like to know her background. My beef and broccoli was sweet and sour, instead of oyster sauce/soy, and the emphasis on the vinegar. Weird. The sesame chicken was in a pasty, unflavoured starch sauce, with (not even toasted) sesame seeds sprinkled on top.

But the egg rolls were large and so much better than, for example, the godawful things at that joint in Laguna Mall.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri May 03, 2013 10:10 am

Lady Otter Latté wrote: He won´t talk to you on this board because we are dirty, uncouth, ruffians who give him the heebie-geebees. Okay, those were not his EXACT words but that is what I think he meant. Very Happy

An EXCELLENT translation of Mainecoon speak. You must have went to school. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri May 03, 2013 10:18 am

gringal wrote:

The other one is the "all you can eat catfish". Oh yeah. Catfish. Anti-yum. Rolling Eyes

Very expensive, imported "Vietnamese Catfish MUSH"....not suited to my palate....double yuk, double anti-yum.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Fri May 03, 2013 2:09 pm

Trailrunner wrote:Min Wah!!!! You're kidding right? Never!

CBob, you are exactly right. Not only that but food left out is subject to contamination from airborne pathogens more so now in this heat.

When I first got here, the docs and nurses at CR warned me against eating seafood and cilantro during the hot weather. The seafood is obvious but the cilantro is because it is so difficult to clean between all the curly little leaves and the contamination this time of year is higher.

When U pull your head out from under your pillow... it's subject to contamination from airborne pathogens!

Your Doctor is Correct... Never Eat Cilantro....
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by shana Fri May 03, 2013 3:22 pm

I went to Min Wah with a friend today thanks to a couple of favorable reviews. I hadn't gone in years.
I was pleasantly surprised. It is not great but it was good.
I peeked into the kitchen and it was spotless.
I would definitely go back.

shana
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by krflex Tue May 21, 2013 11:25 am

Went there two months ago. The food was very good and well prepared. Nothing tasted 'off', the hot stuff was hot, cold was cold and no rewarmed leftovers. We enjoyed our food very much and are planning a return visit.
krflex
krflex

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum