INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brisk it

+3
Trailrunner
CheenaGringo
Ms.Thang
7 posters

Go down

Brisk it Empty Brisk it

Post by Ms.Thang Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:38 pm

Ok , so I bought this beautiful looking Brisket at Sonora in la floresta. The only Brisket I have ever cooked has been the pre seasoned corned beef ones that come in a plastic bag. I boiled it and TA DAH! Perfection. Well, this brisket is in a bag just like that but is not seasoned. Or aged. And I am afraid it will bomb without some advise. It can not bomb because it will be feeding my extended family in a couple of weeks.
I can just stick it in the back of the fridge and let it age? In the package or do I take it out? I do not grill. So , maybe bake it in the oven , with a rub or glaze or ???
I repeat, this can not be a fail. Some advise or recipes would be greatly appreciated .

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Brisk it Empty Re: Brisk it

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:57 pm

Having never done a brisket in the oven - no recommendations there.

As far as aging goes, I think you need to determine if you wish to dry age:
https://www.google.com/search?q=aging+beef+briskit&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#client=firefox-a&hs=THl&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=dry+age+brisket&revid=2046863133&sa=X&ei=15lpUbeXKIHJrQHd-oD4Aw&ved=0CK8BENUCKAU&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.45175338,d.aWM&fp=144025172efe81&biw=1366&bih=612
or wet age:
https://www.google.com/search?q=aging+beef+briskit&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#hl=en&gs_rn=9&gs_ri=psy-ab&gs_mss=wetage%20brisket&tok=qAxpyKrejTM5ZcfqoFcUDQ&pq=dry%20age%20brisket&cp=4&gs_id=sg1&xhr=t&q=wet+aged+brisket&es_nrs=true&pf=p&client=firefox-a&hs=DJl&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&sclient=psy-ab&oq=wet+age+brisket&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.45175338,d.aWM&fp=144025172efe81&biw=1366&bih=612

I wouldn't be concerned by the fact that many of these aging article refer to BBQ since the positive effects of aging are pretty much the same no matter how you are going to cook.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:57 pm

How did they recommend you cook it or age it at Sonora???
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:04 pm

You need to tell us if you are smoking or oven roasting.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:09 pm

Ah in the oven, I see it now.

Salt and pepper it. Brown it in a skillet w, a small amount of oil.

Make some slits in it and insert garlic cloves. Place it in a baking pan fat side up.

Cook on 300 degree covered til fork tender. In other words cook like a Sunday roast and season to your liking. Slow cooking is the best and add small amount liquid to keep from burning if needed.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:52 pm

I didn't ask how I should age it, I have heard that other people have asked at Sonora if their beef is aged and they exclaim that "no! " our meat is fresh! I didn't see any point in going there . They said to cook it like a roast.
I never cook beef anymore because it is always awful.
Someone told me that you can age beef just by sticking it in the fridge and leave it there for a while , so I read about it on the Internet and got all confused...I don't want it to get all funky on me so...I think I will just stick it in the oven like EspirituDL said and hope for the best.

I went to Ajijic meat center and bought some stuff too. i bought Anguila (eel) filet, (another first) . it's pre cooked, barbecued I think. Very expensive ...$250.00 . It was full of tiny bones! My husband nearly choked to death.
He always orders it at Rikkis, never one single bone . There is no way to remove them...so if you have considered buying eel, don't!

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:32 pm

If you have an aversion to your beef getting all "funky" on you, then I would suggest wet aging. Either way, aging can definitely improve the flavor, the texture and the outcome of your cooking experiment!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:02 pm

First of all, I am not a fan of Dan Rather, the former CBS newsperson. So there I've said that. But he does have a "famous" recipe for beef brisket that is smoky/BBQ style, but done in the oven. Have made it a few times and it's great if you like that style of thang. You'll need "Liquid Smoke", but that's easy to find locally.

Here's a link to the recipe. Kind of a funky site/slow to load, so if you have trouble just google for it, there are other sites with the recipe. Since it's a slow-cook recipe done in the oven, I don't think I'd sweat the aging of the beef too much. I'd probably freeze that puppy rather than let it sit in the refri for weeks. Key will be marinating it over night, plus the slow-and low-cooking. (And yes, I've gotten the enthusiastic, "Our meat is FRESH!!!" answer from the nice folks at Sonora, also.)

Provecho.

Dan Rather's BBQ Beef Brisket

Last edited by Rosa Venus on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:23 pm

Just so you know, I didn't have any problem loading that site in a couple of seconds, using a friend's Infinitum at the lowest speed...
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:10 pm

Yeah, I decided against aging it. I wonder if you can get the pink salt used in making corned beef here? I have read that if you want to skip the pink salt ( and the nitrates ) it tastes the same. Anybody ever done that?

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:36 pm

take yer brisket to smitty and let him make corned beef or patrami fer ya.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:07 pm

Hmmm. Now there is a foolproof plan... Thanks for the tip, Pedro

Dan Rathers recipe opened up just fine, looks really easy. Thanks everyone!

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum