INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Last Day

+3
BobC
Zedinmexico
CheenaGringo
7 posters

Go down

Last Day Empty Last Day

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:17 pm

For any of you considering an upgrade to Windows 8, today is the last day to purchase for $39.99. It goes to $119.99 February 1st.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57566167-75/get-your-cheap-windows-8-upgrade-now/

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Last Day Empty Re: Last Day

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:55 pm

Thank you that was nice of you to post that.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:53 pm

Helps to read! This is the Pro Version which goes to $199.99 manana.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by BobC Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:39 pm

Don't even think about it unless you are getting a new machine--and even then I wouldn't recommend it just to get W8. I let myself get talked into it and regret it every day. I still haven'e decided 100% whether to pay to go back to W7.

BobC
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Any kind

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:10 pm

Being single, I decided I needed a new lover, so when I went up north I hoped to pick up a surface pro. Well I'm back and the pro doesn't come out for another 10 days.

So I went to a Costco up north and bought the only touch screen they had with Win 8. It was an Acer for $849 plus tax.

I am slowly learning to use Win 8. But right now I'm on my great 18 month old non touch screen windows 7 Dell. I hope that I can take the time to adjust to using Windows 8. If so, I will pick up a Surface Pro tablet and try a win 8 cell phone this summer,

No I am not that rich. But rather than buy a new car, mine's 13 years old and good for many more years, I buy electronics

But like was said above. Win 8 is not for everyone. and at least for me is a bitch to get used to :)
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:17 pm

I decided to go ahead and purchase the key but I didn't download and install. I can do that at any time and I figured on doing some more research before making the move. I am still using Vista and knowing how MS works, I figure they will be dropping support at some point.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:00 pm

I won't be upgrading to Windows 8 until I have to...as in having to buy a new computer. That's how I ended up with Windows 7.
Personally, I loved XP. I like things organized and sorting photos with XP was a dream. You just clicked on the photo and chose "move to" whatever file and clicked again.
Now I have to drag and drop 'em into a file...and I don't like it. Not an improvement imho.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:24 pm

Suggest using the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant to see if your machine is compatible. I will not install W8 on my main PC; in particular since the UA tells me my BIOS is missing a key bit of security code... I don't believe it. I will try a setup on my laptop, a much older piece of equipment.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:38 pm

ferret wrote:I won't be upgrading to Windows 8 until I have to...as in having to buy a new computer. That's how I ended up with Windows 7.
Personally, I loved XP. I like things organized and sorting photos with XP was a dream. You just clicked on the photo and chose "move to" whatever file and clicked again.
Now I have to drag and drop 'em into a file...and I don't like it. Not an improvement imho.

After much searching, I came across this fix for the problem I cited above.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-copy-to-move-to-on-windows-vista-right-click-menu/

I would appreciate feedback from the Techies here as to this solution and any possible problems that I might encounter BEFORE I attempt it. The comments shown below this link reflect other people's frustration with this oversight on Microsoft's part. TIA!
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:24 am

That's a good little tool that won't hurt your PC. However, I find it is just as easy to right-click and select Copy, then click on a directory and paste ( Cut and paste, which will "move" the file), since in order to get at a file, your File Manager or My Computer window is already open.

For Windows 8 users, pressing the Windows key (little flag, lower left of keyboard) or Windows key plus "d", will toggle between the new Start screen and the old-fashioned desktop.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:39 am

ferret wrote:
ferret wrote:I won't be upgrading to Windows 8 until I have to...as in having to buy a new computer. That's how I ended up with Windows 7.

After much searching, I came across this fix for the problem I cited above.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-copy-to-move-to-on-windows-vista-right-click-menu/

I would appreciate feedback from the Techies here as to this solution and any possible problems that I might encounter BEFORE I attempt it. The comments shown below this link reflect other people's frustration with this oversight on Microsoft's part. TIA!

Peachy keen download! I missed this so much and am already "moving" things...especially photographs into their logical files. I'm feeling more organized by the second. BTW, I did do a back up BEFORE I downloaded it...just in case.

ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:18 am

Great, now that ferret has her problem solved do any geeks here know how to get a KOBO E-reader to work? Have had the thing since Christmas, can't get the pool guy interested, because he doesn't want his, so I'm stuck for the moment.

Anyone interested in one brand new, never been used e-reader in its original box with a Roots cover in tan leather, or a quilted silver cover? Your choice, all brand new never even taken out of the box. You'd think it was socks or something.

Yes it was another upgrade from the kids who remain convinced that we live in the dark ages here.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:39 am

http://www.google.com.mx/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=how+to+set+up+a+kobo+ereader&oq=How+to+set+up+a+Kob&gs_l=hp.1.1.0l4.2045.9850.0.13699.19.14.0.5.5.0.170.2135.0j14.14.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.4.psy-ab.Oa4khJMzWPQ&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.42768644,d.b2I&fp=d97983f1eb7bb273&biw=1152&bih=483

ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:43 am

ferret wrote:http://www.google.com.mx/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=how+to+set+up+a+kobo+ereader&oq=How+to+set+up+a+Kob&gs_l=hp.1.1.0l4.2045.9850.0.13699.19.14.0.5.5.0.170.2135.0j14.14.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.4.psy-ab.Oa4khJMzWPQ&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.42768644,d.b2I&fp=d97983f1eb7bb273&biw=1152&bih=483

Thanks ferret, however you are talking to someone who can't even figure out a call phone. Yes, it is that bad. Very Happy
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:14 pm

Call Mike. Bet he has you up and running in less than an hour. Very Happy
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:47 pm

ferret wrote:Call Mike. Bet he has you up and running in less than an hour. Very Happy

Will do. Thanks.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum