INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Uruguay

+7
Luisa
arturo cuatro ojos
angela04101
hound dog
MexicoPete
slainte39
Trailrunner
11 posters

Go down

Uruguay Empty Uruguay

Post by Trailrunner Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:09 am

Anyone been there? Know anyone who lives there?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Uruguay Empty Re: Uruguay

Post by slainte39 Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:09 am

Trailrunner wrote:Anyone been there? Know anyone who lives there?

BOY!! That's a loaded question for anybody that's followed this board the last year or so. lol! lol! lol!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:15 am

I'm afraid to answer.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:28 am

uruquay:

Endless brown beaches fronted by murky seas and unprepossesing urban sprawl annexed from the earth´s snottiest political subdivision known laughingly as Argentinistan as defined by the muddy Rio Plata. If Uruguay did not exist at present it would be too soon.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:34 am

hound dog wrote:uruquay:

Endless brown beaches fronted by murky seas and unprepossesing urban sprawl annexed from the earth´s snottiest political subdivision known laughingly as Argentinistan as defined by the muddy Rio Plata. If Uruguay did not exist at present it would be too soon.

I knew someone would have a scientific answer...so Pete, your off the hook...rest easy and take the day off.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by angela04101 Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:38 am

A friend of mine has been exploring S. American locations for a possible move and says Uruguay is very expensive; she's thinking more like Ecuador.

angela04101

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:47 am

How does one think more like Ecuador?

The best place to settle in South Ameica is Colombia if you are an old fart. Brazil if you are young and energetic. Guayana if you want to escape San Francisco and start a cooperative farm and know a couple of thousand morons who love Kool Aid.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:35 pm

slainte39 wrote:

I knew someone would have a scientific answer...so Pete, your off the hook...rest easy and take the day off.

Thank you Lord.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:54 pm

hound dog wrote:How does one think more like Ecuador?

The best place to settle in South Ameica is Colombia if you are an old fart. Brazil if you are young and energetic. Guayana if you want to escape San Francisco and start a cooperative farm and know a couple of thousand morons who love Kool Aid.

Being somewhat of a francophile Dawg, I thought you would have suggested FRANCE.

Yes, France, a member of the the EU with euros, french cuisine, and all, exists in SA with one of it's integral departments called (in English), French Guiana.

Is it Paris?....No!
Just a suggestion.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:20 pm

Since Dawg´s darlin wife is a Parisienne, one might wonder why Dawg and Dawgette chose Mexico as a place in which to retire. Let me sum it up:

* Almost endless springlike sunshine vs. many months of cloudy, cold drear.
* A home in Mexico that, as an example, might cost $200,000USD versus $2,000,000USD for a comparable dwelling in a nice place in France. Dawg lives in two, count them, two, fantastic houses in Mexico for what a closet would cost in France.
* So, France has its foie gras and champagne which are two substances I love. I´ll settle for a tamal and tequila at 1/10th the price and and you can kiss my butt.
* The sour and constantly pissed off dispositive French vs. the also nasty but more civilized Mexicans.
* An extraordinarily inexpensive cost of liveing in Mexico, especially Chiapas, vs. an absolutely obscene cost of living in France. In France they tax every Goddamed thing including, by GOD, the right to f*cking even breathe the air.

You wonder why Dawg retired to Mexico rather than France or some U.S. Texas Shithole? Wonder no more.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:31 pm

No need to get angry...was just askin'. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I just remembered that famous line in the movie "Papillon" with Steve McQueen, when the French Commandant of the Devil's Island Prison said to the new arrivals....
"Welcome to French Guiana".....
that helped to make your point.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:17 pm

slainte39 wrote:No need to get angry...was just askin'. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I just remembered that famous line in the movie "Papillon" with Steve McQueen, when the French Commandant of the Devil's Island Prison said to the new arrivals....
"Welcome to French Guiana".....
that helped to make your point.

Or, for that matter, the commandant at the prison supposedly in Louisana but actually located inear Stockton, California who said to Paul Newman, "Whut we have heah is a failure to c´mmunicate."

Actually, however, Dawg was referring to Guyana and Jim Jones who was a hero in San Franxcisco until he left for Georgetown and later Jonestown a few decades ago. The family victims of the Jonestown massacre opened an account in my Downtown San Francisco bank branch just after their relatives were destroyed by that event. I wonder what happened to that money. It was a pittance since Jim Jones stole all the real money they ever accumulated.

Last edited by hound dog on Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by arturo cuatro ojos Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:18 pm

MexicoPete wrote:
slainte39 wrote:

Thank you Lord.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
arturo cuatro ojos
arturo cuatro ojos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Luisa Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:22 am

I've been to Uruguay and I really liked it. I took day trips there when I lived in Buenos Aires so I didn't get anything but brief impressions, but I thought it was charming.

Luisa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:53 am

No way José,

We went there for a day while in Buenos Aires one time. Montevideo. One day was more than enough.

Fiends of ours looked at houses on the internet. You gotta be kidding me. They were really pricy and not very attractive.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:06 am

E-raq wrote:No way José,

We went there for a day while in Buenos Aires one time. Montevideo. One day was more than enough.

Fiends of ours looked at houses on the internet. You gotta be kidding me. They were really pricy and not very attractive.

Kinda like LAS? lol! lol! lol!

Don't get upset John...just jokin'.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:16 am

The Gold Coast is worth considering - reasonable real estate, fairly affordable cost of living but you will require heat in the winter, it gets cold at night.

Info from a friend who retired there.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:29 am

Si, Axixic that is what my research is revealing - however, it has become a little more expensive than it was, especially food and restaurants. It looks like a beautiful country with good politics, nice people, lots of business and investment opportunities (if one is so inclined) and you don't have to re-up every year as an expat. I'm more interested in the hill country with the lakes and river than the coast as I imagine it gets pretty humid. Yes, cold in the winter!

I've looked at a lot of sites but this forum stands out for real info:
http://www.expatexchange.com/expat/index.cfm?frmid=320&s=16

Check the cost of living thread.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:45 am

Uruguay. Riviera to snotty Buenos Aires overreachers. Like Tapatios farting higher than their assholes looking down on the locals at Lake Chapala who serve their elevated butts while providing them undeserved status above those they exploit. What could be more excrutiatingly uncivil than the way the rich in Latin America treat those who daily wipe their asses to hide their stink and help them maintain phony delusions of social superiority.

The Alabama I grew up in in the 1950s was a dreadful place but never this decadent.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:01 am

Trailrunner wrote:I'm more interested in the hill country with the lakes and river than the coast as I imagine it gets pretty humid.

My friend who retired there was a beach person; I don't recall if he even looked into the hill country so no information, sorry.

I can tell you that he bought a nice place on the Gold Coast for about US$100K (five or so years ago) and was living comfortably on about $1500/month for the two of them even up to last year. I never went there but from his descriptions and photos it looked very appealing. His wife was fluent in Spanish and I imagine that helped a lot - I didn't get the impression that there is a great deal of English spoken.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:23 am

Trailrunner wrote:Si, Axixic that is what my research is revealing - however, it has become a little more expensive than it was, especially food and restaurants. It looks like a beautiful country with good politics, nice people, lots of business and investment opportunities (if one is so inclined) and you don't have to re-up every year as an expat. I'm more interested in the hill country with the lakes and river than the coast as I imagine it gets pretty humid. Yes, cold in the winter!

I've looked at a lot of sites but this forum stands out for real info:
http://www.expatexchange.com/expat/index.cfm?frmid=320&s=16

Check the cost of living thread.
Please PM me re "the hill country, etc." We have a young friend who just did 4 months volunteering in the Uruguayan hinterlands. I look forward to "debriefing" her shortly. A highly educated, and well funded gem. Her parents are now off the hook. She does it all herself, never afraid of a day of paid work in her life. Trilingual now.
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:24 am

One thing that is nice about here is the airport. I found many places to be
too expensive to come and go as tickets are high. Uraquay was high if I
remember correctly.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:16 pm

Thanks, Axixic, good info.

Borderreiver, I'll PM you. But, I've been looking Department by Department on YouTube and the lay of the land and the towns of the hill country and I'm not sure that is what I'm looking for either. Maybe you have different info. . .
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum