INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CFE WTF ?

+13
viajero
Jim W
B&T
Trailrunner
ferret
MexicoPete
Viajero-Tiempo
johninajijic
seisdedos
Rolly
hockables
Eldergeek
Ms.Thang
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

CFE WTF ? - Page 2 Empty Re: CFE WTF ?

Post by ferret Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:48 pm

Got a question...do you have gravity fed water?...an aljibe with a pump and pressure tank?
We just squashed another energy drain. Every time I turned on a tap, the pump came on. I thought the bladder had rotted and we would have to replace the pressure tank. Turns out that the air pressure had leaked out of the pressure tank through a faulty valve at the top. Replaced the valve and pressurized the tank with a portable compressor. Now the pump comes on 70% less frequently...that saves energy because the biggest electrical drain is the start up of the pump.

ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:50 pm

Yes , the water is gravity fed ...we do not have a pump. Hey I know how to read a meter now...can't wait to see what it say's tomorrow.

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:34 am

CheenaGringo wrote:In my case, I might be inclined to spend my time doing spreadsheets on things far more interesting: price of ron, price of tequila and even the price of the occasional cerveza that I consume. Going out to make a daily meter reading isn't something that would "trip my trigger". As a matter of fact, it sounds a bit "anal" to me? Good gracious, I would have to cancel an exploratory trip somewhere because I wouldn't be home to log my usage!

Then again, I would then have an excuse as to why I had never been anywhere in Mexico and hadn't immersed myself into the culture and history of Mexico!

Im so anal that when I travel, or am not home, which is about 1/4 of the time I have an employee record the info for me. Oh it gets better, I also record the number of KWH I generate each day from my solar system.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by B&T Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:19 am

Energy hog? I use less than 25% of what I did NOB.

B&T

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:59 am

B&T wrote:Energy hog? I use less than 25% of what I did NOB.

25% less in kwh? That depends on where you live. NOB they don't have the voltage fluctuations that they have here. When did you ever burn out an appliance NOB? If you're lucky herte, you haven't burned out any appliances.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:39 am

John: You don't burn them out here either unless you buy a product built to say US, not Mexican specifications. I also have from the old days when things were much worse, fuse type switches that turn the circuit off, should the voltage be too high or too low. It's really quite simple to project your products. You just have to know how.

Also check your line voltage. Is it outside that specified by Mexican regulations? You know 127 +/- 10%. Mine was. At night I was hitting 142 to 143 volts. I documented same, took the computer printout to CFE and had them turn down (step down) the voltage at the closest neighborhood transformer. These days I am more or less 127 +/- 3% volts, which is perfect for electronics built to Mexican, not American standards.

Sadly, too many folks when they come here don't know that the voltages are different here and in many countries than what they had up north.

Often the farther you live from the population centers like Ajijic, Chapala Etc, the greater the chance your voltages will be even farther off. Out where you live, it sounds like you may have problems, or did I read you wrong?
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:05 am

Pete - You misinterpreted my entire post. We have NEVER burned out an appliance here even if from NOB. Most people bring their appliances and TV'S here from NOB so they could burn out.

Being away from the centers has nothing to do with it. It's all OLD equipment in Ajijic Centro. We have two huge transforners just outside our gate. One supplies 9 homes, the other supplies 10 homes. Few condos have that unless they are newer.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:00 pm

Sounds like the remodel people are taping into your electricity. Jeanne Chausse wrote about a serious problem she had in the Guadalajara Reporter several years ago and as a renter she moved away from the problem.

I rented a house a few years back and had very high electric bills. I moved down the street and they dropped to my normal of 300 to 400 pesos. I suspect some of the neighbors tapped into the electricity in the house I was renting because nothing else changed.

Turn off the electric next time you hear work and then watch your meter.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by B&T Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:08 pm

On average the CFE eats about 1 USP reg a year, lost count of the routers, answering machines, 1 surge got my home theater, a telephone etc. And of course every regulator eats power, so the more protection you buy, the more the CFE smiles. CFL's don't last all that long, nearly lost a pressure pump during a brownout, a small fuente pump.

B&T

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:14 pm

B&T wrote:On average the CFE eats about 1 USP reg a year, lost count of the routers, answering machines, 1 surge got my home theater, a telephone etc. And of course every regulator eats power, so the more protection you buy, the more the CFE smiles. CFL's don't last all that long, nearly lost a pressure pump during a brownout, a small fuente pump.

In five years have not lost one thing. This is in three different houses all in Ajijic lower centro.
Man does our miliage vary as they say.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:28 pm

B&T wrote:On average the CFE eats about 1 USP reg a year, lost count of the routers, answering machines, 1 surge got my home theater, a telephone etc. And of course every regulator eats power, so the more protection you buy, the more the CFE smiles. CFL's don't last all that long, nearly lost a pressure pump during a brownout, a small fuente pump.

I have not lost any of our 11 year old regulators. I replaced a USP on the computer because it was very tired at 8 years old. I could just have replaced the battery as it was an APC and they have them here. I'm keeping my fingers crossed now, especially on our Microwave which all of a sudden stopped working. I even got 11 years out of our pool pump, something which no one in our neighborhood has. But we're 3 coffee pots later, but I think they're total crap anyways.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:40 pm

They are hooked on to the wires just before the pole and using a saw of some sort. I have checked our meter and we have already used what we nornmally use in a 2 month perioid. The new cycle started on october 14th.
Based on the theory below (sourced from the internet) , should the meter speed up when they use the saw or not? I am confused now.

All of our wiring and sucjh has been checked out and is fine.

"You only pay for what is after the meter, but a heavy load on your line before the meter can reduce your voltage like a brown out and equipment suffering from reduced voltage but having a steady watt requirement draw more amps. Your electric meter is an amp hour meter so when you are drawing more amps you are drawing more electricity you pay for. Brown outs cost you some money."

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum