INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

San Miguel Type Punched Tin

Go down

San Miguel Type Punched Tin Empty San Miguel Type Punched Tin

Post by 4 Dogs on Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:07 am

Does anyone know where one can purchase the punched tin type mirrors and "star" fixtures found in San Miguel in this area?

4 Dogs

Back to top Go down

San Miguel Type Punched Tin Empty Re: San Miguel Type Punched Tin

Post by CheenaGringo on Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:22 am

RE: punched tin type mirrors and "star" fixtures

If one is willing to travel into Guadalajara, both Tlaquepaque and Tonala have numerous shops that offer good sized selections of this type merchandise. In Tlaquepaque, the premier shop is probably the Adobe:
http://www.adobemarthafigueroa.com.mx/index.php?sk=catalogo&cat=27
They area known for their quality and selection but their prices are commensurate with their offerings. There are numerous other shops located along Independencia, Juarez and other side streets with these same products. In Tonala, there are shops scattered through town with varying quality but typically lower prices than Tlaquepaque.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal on Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:59 am

I bought some at the local tiangus in Ajijic a couple of years ago.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte on Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:08 am

There are 3 types of punched tin Tonala/Tlaquepaque, San Miguel and Oaxaca. The Oaxaca style is extremely ornate. The ones from San Miguel less so...Each area has their style. Some good ones from San Miguel and Oaxaca can be found in Tlaquepaque, the Jalisco ones can be seen in many stores in Tonala and Tlaquepaque.
You can find the stars that are from Jalisco in many stores in Tonala and Tlaquepaque. Once Preciado store has them for sure on Juarez in Tlaquepaque. On the left as you enter Juarez. The Preciados have many members in their family and many store throughout Tlaquepaque, they are know for their quality.The metal work is done at the back of the store on the large patio linking the store on Juarez and another store of theirs on Independencia.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic on Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:48 am

brigitte wrote:There are 3 types of punched tin Tonala/Tlaquepaque, San Miguel and Oaxaca. The Oaxaca style is extremely ornate. The ones from San Miguel less so...Each area has their style. Some good ones from San Miguel and Oaxaca can be found in Tlaquepaque, the Jalisco ones can be seen in many stores in Tonala and Tlaquepaque.
You can find the stars that are from Jalisco in many stores in Tonala and Tlaquepaque. Once Preciado store has them for sure on Juarez in Tlaquepaque. On the left as you enter Juarez. The Preciados have many members in their family and many store throughout Tlaquepaque, they are know for their quality.The metal work is done at the back of the store on the large patio linking the store on Juarez and another store of theirs on Independencia.

We bought our star lights at a store in Tonala, usually much cheaper than Tlaquepaque. We have two tin mirrors purchased in Tonala too. If you look in Preciado in Tlaquepaque, compare prices. They will always be much higher.

We bought our exterior light fixtures from Preciado and paid a good price. What a mistake. They rusted after a few years and were junk as far as I'm concerned. We just threw them out this year.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte on Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:27 pm

Oh John you have such a way with words... All I can say is that I have lamps from Preciado and they look very nice 10 years later.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo on Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:04 pm

I don't think John is taking into account the myriad of differing finishes (plain, chemical, heat, lacquer, paint, etc) available on these type products. Since these finishes affect the look and durability, making a broad sweeping generalization is hardly constructive. A good example of the variety of finishes can be found in the photo below:

[img]San Miguel Type Punched Tin Dscn1712[/img]

Sample of punched tin floor mirror found in Tonala:

[img]San Miguel Type Punched Tin Dsc_4510[/img]

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic on Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:46 pm

My lights were tin or thin metal. I thought with the price we paid that they were heavily lacquered. Not so. Anyone who has these and likes the look, to bring them back put used motor oil on a cloth and wipe them over.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte on Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:13 am

Tin will rust eventually for that reason I had my lamps done in alpaca.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak on Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:28 am

razberry
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down